Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

Page 33 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 am

Kat wrote:This is all I've found so far - same article ran in The Republic - only mentions Sen. Erpenbach...don't know if any of the other "WI 14" did the same or not. I'll keep digging.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_077a4972-4609-11e0-aa20-001cc4c03286.html

This is a bunch of petty games on the part of the republicans.
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:30 am

Americans for Prosperity's Pro-Walker Bus Tour Stops in Hudson Amid Pro-Union Protests

This comes from the Wisconsin director of Americans for Prosperity:

"I don't blame them for fighting for additional benefits and against some sort of cuts that they might take," Seaholm said. "The fact of the matter is that the private sector has been dealing with this for years. We just think it's time that the public-sector unions pay their fair share."

He believes the unions are fighting for additional benefits? What a complete lie that too many people will believe.

http://hudson-wi.patch.com/articles/prosperity-for-america-pro-walker-bus-tour-stops-in-hudson-amid-pro-union-protests#photo-5148498
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah...and all those pro-Walker TV ads continue to push that lie that it's all about union workers "paying their faire share".
Pitting regular "taxpayers" against union workers - as if union workers aren't taxpayers too.

(should be an interesting day at the state Capital today when the Americans For Prosperity tour bus shows up amid 50,000 + protesters...after Michael Moore's speach yesterday, I'd say those folks are "fired up and ready to go!".)

Last edited by Kat on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 am

I am still trying to swallow the fact that this governor illegally tried to withhold paychecks. He is not thinking clearly. He approached this issue so wrong and it is one of the finest examples of Republican bully tactics I have seen in a long long time. Has Obama came out publicly on this WI issue? Everyone in this country should be concerned about WI because this is a huge deal. I looked over the rest of his bill.................he's absolutely nuts to try and pass this. I hope Republicans break ties with him. Sanity has to prevail.
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:22 am

Kat wrote:Yeah...and all those pro-Walker TV ads continue to push that lie that it's all about union workers "paying their faire share".
Pitting regular "taxpayers" against union workers - as if union workers aren't taxpayers too.

It's all about pitting workers against workers and so far it's been remarkably successful. I pray more people wake up and understand that.

JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:24 am

pugsrit wrote:I am still trying to swallow the fact that this governor illegally tried to withhold paychecks. He is not thinking clearly. He approached this issue so wrong and it is one of the finest examples of Republican bully tactics I have seen in a long long time. Has Obama came out publicly on this WI issue? Everyone in this country should be concerned about WI because this is a huge deal. I looked over the rest of his bill.................he's absolutely nuts to try and pass this. I hope Republicans break ties with him. Sanity has to prevail.

It's also against the WI state constitution to close the capital building to the public. That is considered to be curbing the free speech rights of the public.

I haven't seen Obama say anything on this topic and am rather disappointed. Wasn't he the one that said he would personally protest with labor?
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 am

I think this is an excellent opportunity for him to come out and say that this bill is NOT what this country was founded on and we can't write laws to suite our political agenda ie withholding paychecks and closing the capital to the public. This week shall be interesting because I have a feeling Mr. Walker is going to get a huge wake up call at least I hope he does.
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 am

According to the Oshkosh Northwestern the protests in Madison are dying off.

"Day by day, the rallies of thousands of teachers, firefighters and other public workers that propelled Wisconsin's fight over union rights to national prominence have been giving way to smaller protests of mostly students."

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20110305/OSH0101/303050056/Walker-tells-unions-layoff-notices-will-effective-April-4?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|OSH-News|s

I thought the governor said he would not negotiate. Did I miss something? Has anyone else seen news articles stating that the governor is actively negotiating with the democrats?

"The governor is negotiating with the Democratic senators on possible changes that would get them to return, even as Senate Republicans passed a resolution finding them in contempt and authorizing police to detain them and force them back."
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 am

I have not seen anything stating this, only that he may have lost a few Republicans votes.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 am

laramel wrote:I have not seen anything stating this, only that he may have lost a few Republicans votes.

I didn't think so, but the people who receive their information from Gannet are being told that the governor is negotiating with the democrats and the protests are dying down to nothing. Where is the reality in this news articles?
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 am

Indy protests run 'one day' longer, stronger

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/mar/05/indy-protests-run-one-day-longer-stronger/
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 am

The BBC covered Michael Moore's visit to Madison yesterday.

Wisconsin: Thousands protest in budget dispute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12658349
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

The report that Walker was "negotiating" with WI 14 referred to Senate Majority leader, Fitzgerald's, talks (via phone) with those Senators - attempting to get them to stand down and come back to the Capital.
Last report I saw (last Fri.) stated those "talks" had broken down because Walker absolutely refuses to put collective bargaining rights back on the table.
I hope Michael Moore donated some money to help support those 14 Dem. Senators...no paychecks (for at least 13 of them) AND $100/day fines for not coming back. That's gotta hurt...and I bet it goes to court to be determined unconstitutional, eventually.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:51 am

Kat wrote:The report that Walker was "negotiating" with WI 14 referred to Senate Majority leader, Fitzgerald's, talks (via phone) with those Senators - attempting to get them to stand down and come back to the Capital.
Last report I saw (last Fri.) stated those "talks" had broken down because Walker absolutely refuses to put collective bargaining rights back on the table.
I hope Michael Moore donated some money to help support those 14 Dem. Senators...no paychecks (for at least 13 of them) AND $100/day fines for not coming back. That's gotta hurt...and I bet it goes to court to be determined unconstitutional, eventually.

It sounds like the majority leader is "negotiating" as long as the republicans don't have to make any concessions.
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Sounds familiar... right? Taken straight from the Republican playbook in Washington. The notion of "cooperation" & "bipartisanship" has become a joke.
And they call union workers "thugs"! Ha!

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Kat wrote:Sounds familiar... right? Taken straight from the Republican playbook in Washington. The notion of "cooperation" & "bipartisanship" has become a joke.
And they call union workers "thugs"! Ha!

So true!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:40 pm

I have 2 friends from Indiana that are going to Indy! Wish I could go with.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:56 pm

laramel wrote:I have 2 friends from Indiana that are going to Indy! Wish I could go with.

Good for Indiana. I wish I could be there to see it as well. I haven't see much coverage of this yet. Is the local media doing a lot of coverage?
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 pm

JaneWI wrote:
laramel wrote:I have 2 friends from Indiana that are going to Indy! Wish I could go with.

Good for Indiana. I wish I could be there to see it as well. I haven't see much coverage of this yet. Is the local media doing a lot of coverage?

I don't know, they thru it out there on Facebook. My family and I are at war because of all this. I want to slap them silly! 2 have already un friended me!

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:11 pm

laramel wrote:I don't know, they thru it out there on Facebook. My family and I are at war because of all this. I want to slap them silly! 2 have already un friended me!

Families are being ripped apart all over because of this issue. I personally know a special needs teacher here in WI. She is an intelligent woman who believes she can make a difference in this world through her teaching. Her family has basically told her off because of what's happening and told her that she's a "glorified babysitter".
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm

http://www.educationvotes.nea.org/2011/03/06/thousands-protest-anti-worker-legislation-in-tennessee/

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 pm

laramel wrote:http://www.educationvotes.nea.org/2011/03/06/thousands-protest-anti-worker-legislation-in-tennessee/

JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Teachers Protest on Behalf of Their Rights

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/14195015/teachers-protest-on-behalf-of-their-rights

At TN Capitol, 3,000 rally for teachers' voices to be heard

"Both groups Saturday urged Republican Gov. Bill Haslam, who has remained neutral on the bill, to come out on their side of the debate."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110306/NEWS01/103060373/1970/NEWS04/At-TN-Capitol-3-000-rally-teachers-voices-heard

JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Take Action

Post by Sunrise on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I searched 3 online newspapers (CNN, MSNBC, and the NY Times) to find something on Wisconsin and Moore's speech. NOTHING! Moore was right in his speech about media - they are corrupted also. They are trying to silence us into complacency!

Instead you see headline after headline about the protests in the Middle East and in the USA the big thing is Charlie Sheen. Give me a Break!

One of the budget cuts is to Public Broadcast networks. Guess what - That is the only source that I have found in major media that has written something about it.

So let's make our voices heard. Visit NPR (National Public Radio) and let them know (just by reading their article) that we appreciate real news reporting.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/06/134307194/michael-moore-rallies-pro-union-protesters-in-wis

Last edited by Sunrise on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum