In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

OPERATION ODYSSEY DAWN - LIBYA CONFLICT

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OPERATION ODYSSEY DAWN - LIBYA CONFLICT

Post by kman on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Even though it seems like us exhaustees are forgotten and no matter how we feel about the Government or Pres. Obama, please let us not forget our military doing their jobs in this new conflict in Libya, as well as all other areas of the world.
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: OPERATION ODYSSEY DAWN - LIBYA CONFLICT

Post by kjps12 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 pm

FOR ONCE AMERICA IS NOT IN THE FORE FRONT
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Did I hear correctly that one of the French jets was shot down?
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kman on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm

mrgolf wrote:Did I hear correctly that one of the French jets was shot down?

I heard that too on CNN - last I hear they didn't know who shot it down
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Libyan state television said late on Saturday that the French warplane went down in the Njela district of the Libyan capital Tripoli, AFP reported.

However, the French military swiftly denied the report.

Baghdad
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:25 pm

that was the same tape they showed this morning before any bombing
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Who sits around & comes up with these stupid names for wars??

The Afghanistan War was originally called 'Operation Infinite Justice' till somebody realized that 'infinite' sounded too much like 'indefinite'--
so they changed the name to 'Operation Enduring Freedom.'

It took Odysseus 10 years to complete his quest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey

10 years??!!??!! affraid

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Don't these boys ever run out of excuses to spend vast money on military hardware....
I have become so-jaded when it comes to reasons to liberate or "help" the civilians...that i believe NOTHING in our news reports, as to the reasons we militarily attack another country..

One press release is reporting about 50 civilian deaths from the missle attacks...Guess thats 50 people liberated so far (from their life)

BY THE WAY march 19 2003 was the invasion of Iraq...

10 Reasons Iraq Was No Cakewalk

http://original.antiwar.com/medea-benjamin-davis/2011/03/18/10-reasons-iraq-was-no-cakewalk/
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:57 am

If they stick to the plan on this one it won't be a big deal. They are just trying to even the playing field for the rebellion by eliminating the air support for Kaddafi's forces. I actually think this is the right thing to do. Instead of getting embedded in Iraq and Afghanistan we should be supporting in overthrowing their own dictators.
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrAgW0MM390

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPSnXFB6cA
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kman on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:16 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:If they stick to the plan on this one it won't be a big deal. They are just trying to even the playing field for the rebellion by eliminating the air support for Kaddafi's forces. I actually think this is the right thing to do. Instead of getting embedded in Iraq and Afghanistan we should be supporting in overthrowing their own dictators.

Yeah, IF they stick to the plan.

I was watchng the CNN coverage and the cost of the air attack. I thought I heard one reporter say the cost is at least $1 million per missile launched. How many did the U.S. launch? I know there were a total of something like 121 - but that was by several countries.

And, I am all for helping people - how about helping the AMERICAN people. first Perhaps this is a fantasy I believe. Are we the only people who know or care that children are homeless and starving along with their parent(s)? There was a total screw up with Katrina - was that not a big enough catastrophe?

I'm on a roll today - I think I need to go for a long walk before I start beatching at my husband. He's the calm one.
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:03 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:If they stick to the plan on this one it won't be a big deal. They are just trying to even the playing field for the rebellion by eliminating the air support for Kaddafi's forces. I actually think this is the right thing to do. Instead of getting embedded in Iraq and Afghanistan we should be supporting in overthrowing their own dictators.

I agree, Lendme. I also hope they stick to the statement that no ground troops would be deployed.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:

I agree, Lendme. I also hope they stick to the statement that no ground troops would be deployed.
If there are going to be ground troops they should be from the Arab League

mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:45 pm

mrgolf wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:

If there are going to be ground troops they should be from the Arab League

I agree

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:38 am

US warplane crash-lands in Libya

"Both crew members ejected safely after what was believed to be a mechanical failure, US officials say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12816226
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 am

Jen--You posted on the other thread about Dennis Kucinich's allegation that Prez Obama's conformance with the UN's no-fly resolution is an impeachable offense. However Eliot Spitzer & others argue that this action is exactly the same as when Prez Clinton conformed with the UN resolution on Bosnia. Of course Congress should ask questions.....& I think Kucinich was getting out ahead of the Repubs by raising the issue. Later Kucinich will back down--with less damage done to the Dems since one of their own raised the issue 1st.

Kucinich would have more of my respect if he'd co-sponsor HR589. scratch

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 am

Phillymg wrote:Jen--You posted on the other thread about Dennis Kucinich's allegation that Prez Obama's conformance with the UN's no-fly resolution is an impeachable offense. However Eliot Spitzer & others argue that this action is exactly the same as when Prez Clinton conformed with the UN resolution on Bosnia. Of course Congress should ask questions.....& I think Kucinich was getting out ahead of the Repubs by raising the issue. Later Kucinich will back down--with less damage done to the Dems since one of their own raised the issue 1st.

Kucinich would have more of my respect if he'd co-sponsor HR589. scratch
I realized later that I posted it in the wrong thread. Just so you know, these same Democrats went after Bush for starting unconstitutional war also. As far as it being the same as what Clinton did, since when do two wrongs make a right? I don't understand why Kucinich is not a cosponsor of H.R. 589 either. He seems to be more focused on foreign policy and he really needs to be worrying about the people suffering here at home too.

Here it is. I deleted it out of the Middle East Revolutions thread to put it here where I meant to put it before. Very Happy

http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5033

KUCINICH: Bombing Impeachable.
Regarding the latest military action in Libya, carried out first by
France and later joined by the U.S., Rep. Dennis Kucinich, in an
interview with CBS News, was not impressed. The Ohio Democrat is saying
the action was an impeachable offense. “This is a teachable moment,”
Kucinich said. “The American people should understand that our
Constitution does not provide for the president to wage war any times he
pleases.” “They crossed the line,” he said. “The president needs to
explain to the nation why he went outside the Constitution to order this
attack.” However, Kucinich didn’t go as far as saying he’d offer a
resolution for impeachment.
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am

http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5038

The cost of bombing Libya.
The U.S. operation in Libya could cost the U.S. between $400 million and
$800 million, according to the Center for Strategic and Budgetary
Assessments. Really? So, you guessed it, we could be paying for so many
of the things President Obama and the House GOP has proposed to cut.
The President is proposing a cut in his budget of $300 million from
Community Development Block Grants. The operation in Libya is likely to
cost more than that. President Obama is proposing to cut $100 billion
cut in Pell Grants over 10 years. That could easily be paid for. The
numbers are still coming in. One thing is for sure: The total will be
in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Jen wrote:As far as it being the same as what Clinton did, since when do two wrongs make a right?
My understanding is that the Bosnians were extremely grateful for the intervention of NATO & US forces in 1995. The Bosnians' main complaint seems to have been that they didn't do it alot sooner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_intervention_in_Bosnia

Whereas a POTUS cannot start a 'war' without Congressional approval.....a POTUS can deploy US forces to support UN &/or NATO missions without Congressional approval. That's why Congress ultimately couldn't stop or even officially censure Clinton in 1995 & why they won't be able to do so on Obama's decision to support the UN in 2011. When Bush took the US to war in 2001 & 2003 he did so with Congressional approval.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

When Bush took the US to war in 2001 & 2003 he did so with Congressional approval.
I wasn't following Congress back then but, I'm always hearing from radio shows and politicians that one of the wars (I think it was the Iraq war) was not approved by Congress. Do you know what I've been hearing? I guess I'll have to look it up because I can't remember right now. I was thinking that it was more than just the fact that it was based on lies about WMD's. Whatever it is, I've heard it a lot.

I have no problem admitting that sometimes I talk about things that I don't necessarily remember correctly or have been misinformed about.
lol!

Last edited by Jen on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Jen wrote:
When Bush took the US to war in 2001 & 2003 he did so with Congressional approval.
I wasn't following Congress back then but, I'm always hearing from radio shows and politicians that one of the wars (I think it was the Iraq war) was not approved by Congress. Do you know what I've been hearing? I guess I'll have to look it up because I can't remember right now. I was thinking that it was more than just the fact that it was based on lies about WMD's. Whatever it is, I've heard it a lot.

It was approved by congress, but it was never officially added to the deficit until Obama took office.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 pm

knarf wrote:
Jen wrote:

It was approved by congress, but it was never officially added to the deficit until Obama took office.
Sometimes I think I have early Alzheimer's. Laughing
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Here's the NYTimes story about the ordeal of its 4 journalists kidnapped & held prisoner by militiamen loyal to Libyan dictator Gadhafi.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/world/africa/22times.html?_r=1&hp

All 4 were treated with brutality & the woman was sexually assaulted. They do not know what has happened to their Libyan driver who apparently was considered fair game for killing by Gadhafi's forces.

The brutal militiamen are the kind of sadists that Gadhafi surrounds himself with.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 pm

If there was no approval, then there would be zero money for all the toys they would need. War powers act states prez must ask for approval within 60 days in order to secure funds.

Back to top Go down

Post by kman on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Jen wrote:
knarf wrote:
Jen wrote:

Sometimes I think I have early Alzheimer's. Laughing

Nah, it is just a case of CRS!!! LOL
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: