Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Cspan_live_play-1

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

+8
tdan
JaneWI
Terrync
carolinamom18
pugsrit
mya11
Phillymg
tofer
12 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:Everyone in North Carolina should understand that there is a quick fix for this. The feds cleared the way by allowing states to adopt a three year lookback for the extended benefit trigger.

Three states have already changed the lookback and allowed the unemployed in those states to continue to collect EB.

Start mass emailing all the media making sure they are aware there is a quick fix available to keep 37,000 people from losing their lifeline.

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Just got a call from David Clegg's office, they are pushing for a bill to change trigger off law. I was told to call Kay Hagen, Burr and Mel Watt's office to ask them to vote for this bill.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

mya11 wrote:Just got a call from David Clegg's office, they are pushing for a bill to change trigger off law. I was told to call Kay Hagen, Burr and Mel Watt's office to ask them to vote for this bill.

That is very good news! I hope tofer checks in and sees this.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:25 pm

mya11 wrote:Just got a call from David Clegg's office, they are pushing for a bill to change trigger off law. I was told to call Kay Hagen, Burr and Mel Watt's office to ask them to vote for this bill.

Hey Everyone. Just checked in. Wonderful news ! This is a start !
I will also start pushing out emails to others in the fight. I was hoping to have heard a response from Kay Hagan, but nothing yet. It would have been nice to have received an email or call from David Clegg regarding the email I sent him the other day.

I know that other states have let this issue die, but hopefully since we are still at such a high unemployment rate, NC will become a hornet's nest and keep this alive and buzzing.

Mel Watt...you must be in the Charlotte to High Point district.

I'm "lucky" to have David Price as our respresentative...No, he does not impress me at all. The company that I was laid off from he came and visited us about 6 months before we filed for bankruptcy to say that he and the state stands behind us and supports us. We filed for bankruptcy due to foreign competition from Asia. And, he was late getting to our company that day to speak, so he didn't have time for questions and answers.
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 pm

tofer wrote:

Hey Everyone. Just checked in. Wonderful news ! This is a start !
I will also start pushing out emails to others in the fight. I was hoping to have heard a response from Kay Hagan, but nothing yet. It would have been nice to have received an email or call from David Clegg regarding the email I sent him the other day.

I know that other states have let this issue die, but hopefully since we are still at such a high unemployment rate, NC will become a hornet's nest and keep this alive and buzzing.

Mel Watt...you must be in the Charlotte to High Point district.

I'm "lucky" to have David Price as our respresentative...No, he does not impress me at all. The company that I was laid off from he came and visited us about 6 months before we filed for bankruptcy to say that he and the state stands behind us and supports us. We filed for bankruptcy due to foreign competition from Asia. And, he was late getting to our company that day to speak, so he didn't have time for questions and answers.

I emailed all three, hope it helps. Don't let up the pressure, other states with higher rates of unemployment did not pay EB at all. If you have fax numbers or other contact info post it and many of us will email and fax as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 pm

I was told to keep this blog going, it is getting attention from other states too. Mel Watt's office could not help, but was told to call State Legislature Reps.I have left messages with Hagen, talk to someone with Burr and called the Speaker of the House office. I was told that calling would get you a lot more attention than emails( I will still do both). Thanks for all of your help.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm

wonderful...i'm excited that it is capturing other's attention...i have worked a "generic" form letter stating our concern for nc...i will attach it below if anyone would like to use or tweak it...i am working up a list of govt contacts...some don't have direct emails, so it is a website you have to go thru to send the email, that is causing me some agnst...i will post it as soon as i list the local tv station contact info...let me know how the note sounds below...i tried to make it to the point and respectful...

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am writing this note on behalf of the unemployed citizens of North Carolina.

This past week, the notice has been publicized regarding the ending of Extended Benefits for North Carolina's unemployed. I have researched this thoroughly and understand the formula used by states to assess eligibility. The original formula from the Federal Government said that states were to use a 2 year lookback rule. Based on this 2 year lookback rule, North Carolina no longer qualifies for the EB program.

However, the Federal Government has changed the rule to a 3 year lookback. Under a 3 year lookback, North Carolina would now be eligible for the EB program. The Federal government has left it up to the states to make the decision on rather they should adopt the new change to 3 years. North Carolina’s General Assembly has so far chosen not to adopt this change or to ignore it all together..

I understand that other states also have chosen not to adopt the new rule simply out of fiscal concern, as the money for this program would eventually have to be paid back to the Federal government. However, at a 9.7% unemployment rate, many of your North Carolina citizens are struggling day to day. We are all concerned about fiscal responsibility, and are not looking for a handout, but support, in these difficult times until we can get back on our feet. I would like to ask for your support in helping to persuade the State of North Carolina in adopting the 3 year lookback rule. Thus, reestablishing the Extended Benefit program in North Carolina.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm

mya11 wrote:I was told to keep this blog going, it is getting attention from other states too. Mel Watt's office could not help, but was told to call State Legislature Reps.I have left messages with Hagen, talk to someone with Burr and called the Speaker of the House office. I was told that calling would get you a lot more attention than emails( I will still do both). Thanks for all of your help.

We can keep bumping the thread to make sure others see it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

tofer wrote:wonderful...i'm excited that it is capturing other's attention...i have worked a "generic" form letter stating our concern for nc...i will attach it below if anyone would like to use or tweak it...i am working up a list of govt contacts...some don't have direct emails, so it is a website you have to go thru to send the email, that is causing me some agnst...i will post it as soon as i list the local tv station contact info...let me know how the note sounds below...i tried to make it to the point and respectful...

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am writing this note on behalf of the unemployed citizens of North Carolina.

This past week, the notice has been publicized regarding the ending of Extended Benefits for North Carolina's unemployed. I have researched this thoroughly and understand the formula used by states to assess eligibility. The original formula from the Federal Government said that states were to use a 2 year lookback rule. Based on this 2 year lookback rule, North Carolina no longer qualifies for the EB program.

However, the Federal Government has changed the rule to a 3 year lookback. Under a 3 year lookback, North Carolina would now be eligible for the EB program. The Federal government has left it up to the states to make the decision on rather they should adopt the new change to 3 years. North Carolina’s General Assembly has so far chosen not to adopt this change or to ignore it all together..

I understand that other states also have chosen not to adopt the new rule simply out of fiscal concern, as the money for this program would eventually have to be paid back to the Federal government. However, at a 9.7% unemployment rate, many of your North Carolina citizens are struggling day to day. We are all concerned about fiscal responsibility, and are not looking for a handout, but support, in these difficult times until we can get back on our feet. I would like to ask for your support in helping to persuade the State of North Carolina in adopting the 3 year lookback rule. Thus, reestablishing the Extended Benefit program in North Carolina.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm

here is the contact information i've gathered so far...it covers the governor, state legislature, our us senators, our us representatives and our employment security commissioner...i'm going to try to focus on the state levels...i worry that our us representatives may be out of the loop with what our general assembly is doing...i'm glad to hear that david clegg's office is pushing for a change...the email addresses for the general assembly are general mailboxes since there are so many people...but i did find the email for the "head" of the senate and house for nc legislature...i've included phone numbers if i could find them as 'myall' suggested that a phone call would be more beneficial...still working on some news stations and newspaper contacts...it may be beyond their control or their determination to report on this but it will get their attention...i hope this at least shows support that all of us have for each other...i'm still 3 months away from eb but worry what effect this will have on nc and many of my friends and neighbors...i'm sorry that the below list is lengthy...i'll be glad to give out my email if anyone wants this in word format...thanks...

NC Governor

Beverly Perdue

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/contact/Contact.aspx

website for sending email

governor.office@nc.gov

bev.perdue@nc.gov

direct emails

(800) 662-7952

(919) 733-2391

(919) 733-4320
Fax: (919) 733-2120

NC General Assembly

Speaker of the NC General Assembly - House

Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net

direct email

919-733-3451

President Pro Tempore of the Senate

Phil.Berger@ncleg.net

direct email

(919) 733-5708

NC General Assembly - House Members

HouseE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to house mailbox

NC General Assembly - Senate Members

SenateE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to senate mailbox

NC Employment Security Commission

David L. Clegg
North Carolina Employment Security Commission

Deputy Chairman & Chief Operating Officer

david.clegg@ncesc.gov

direct email

US Congress

NC Senators

Kay Hagan

http://hagan.senate.gov/?p=contact

Richard Burr

http://burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

NC Representatives

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml#nc

this one is tricky, this website takes you to the list of representatives

for each state, then you have to click into each one to get to the website

page to send them an email - there are 13 for NC

Butterfield, G.K., North Carolina, 1st

202 225 3101

Coble, Howard, North Carolina, 6th

202 225 3065

Ellmers, Renee, North Carolina, 2nd

202 225 4531

Foxx, Virginia, North Carolina, 5th

202 225 2071

Jones, Walter B., North Carolina, 3rd

202 225 3415

Kissell, Larry, North Carolina, 8th

202 225 3715

McHenry, Patrick T., North Carolina, 10th

202 225 2576

McIntyre, Mike, North Carolina, 7th

202 225 2731

Miller, Brad, North Carolina, 13th

202 225 3032

Myrick, Sue, North Carolina, 9th

202 225 1976

Price, David, North Carolina, 4th

202 225 1784

Shuler, Heath, North Carolina, 11th

202 225 6401

Watt, Mel, North Carolina, 12th

202 225 1510
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

I am on it, I have already called WSOC, but will keep trying to email other local stations. I will not give up. You have been very helpful. THANKS!!

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Since I am not a resident of NC I am emailing instead of calling.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for emailing. We can use everyone's help. Let's stick together on this issue and we can make our voices heard.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 pm

@Tofer emailing right now I am also not a resident of North Carolina but I will fax tomorrow and email tonight. I agree that while we are working on H.R. 589 we need to pay attention to what is happening on the state levels. I tell ya I would love to have a conversation with that Bobbie Jindal fella he did the state of Louisiana a huge disservice by not accepting EB funds what is wrong with these leaders. Why would they do this to hurt their own citizens.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 am

tofer wrote:
here is the contact information i've gathered so far...it covers the governor, state legislature, our us senators, our us representatives and our employment security commissioner...i'm going to try to focus on the state levels...i worry that our us representatives may be out of the loop with what our general assembly is doing...i'm glad to hear that david clegg's office is pushing for a change...the email addresses for the general assembly are general mailboxes since there are so many people...but i did find the email for the "head" of the senate and house for nc legislature...i've included phone numbers if i could find them as 'myall' suggested that a phone call would be more beneficial...still working on some news stations and newspaper contacts...it may be beyond their control or their determination to report on this but it will get their attention...i hope this at least shows support that all of us have for each other...i'm still 3 months away from eb but worry what effect this will have on nc and many of my friends and neighbors...i'm sorry that the below list is lengthy...i'll be glad to give out my email if anyone wants this in word format...thanks...

NC Governor

Beverly Perdue

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/contact/Contact.aspx

governor.office@nc.gov

bev.perdue@nc.gov

direct emails

(800) 662-7952

(919) 733-2391

(919) 733-4320
Fax: (919) 733-2120

NC General Assembly

Speaker of the NC General Assembly - House

Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net

direct email

919-733-3451

President Pro Tempore of the Senate

Phil.Berger@ncleg.net

direct email

(919) 733-5708

NC General Assembly - House Members

HouseE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to house mailbox

NC General Assembly - Senate Members

SenateE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to senate mailbox

NC Employment Security Commission

David L. Clegg
North Carolina Employment Security Commission

Deputy Chairman & Chief Operating Officer

david.clegg@ncesc.gov

direct email

US Congress

NC Senators

Kay Hagan

http://hagan.senate.gov/?p=contact

Richard Burr

http://burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

NC Representatives

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml#nc

this one is tricky, this website takes you to the list of representatives

for each state, then you have to click into each one to get to the website

page to send them an email - there are 13 for NC

Butterfield, G.K., North Carolina, 1st

202 225 3101

Coble, Howard, North Carolina, 6th

202 225 3065

Ellmers, Renee, North Carolina, 2nd

202 225 4531

Foxx, Virginia, North Carolina, 5th

202 225 2071

Jones, Walter B., North Carolina, 3rd

202 225 3415

Kissell, Larry, North Carolina, 8th

202 225 3715

McHenry, Patrick T., North Carolina, 10th

202 225 2576

McIntyre, Mike, North Carolina, 7th

202 225 2731

Miller, Brad, North Carolina, 13th

202 225 3032

Myrick, Sue, North Carolina, 9th

202 225 1976

Price, David, North Carolina, 4th

202 225 1784

Shuler, Heath, North Carolina, 11th

202 225 6401

Watt, Mel, North Carolina, 12th

202 225 1510

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am

According to NELP if the states don't get busy adopting the three year lookback, Nevada will be the only state paying EB by December

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:46 am

Tennessee is also triggering off for EB but their ue rate is 9.6%--
http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/business/Extended--119120609.html

Anyone still collecting EB can see the chart with NELP's predictions on when it will end in each state. They have been accurate:

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 am

n2b thanks for posting this. I hope the word is getting out letting folks know. To find out 2 weeks before doesn't give anyone time to really prepare. I hope that this gets fixed for the states who still have high unemployment. With the gov't appearing to be headed for a shutdown I am afraid all this UE stuff is going to fall by the wayside.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 am

I'm at it again this morning, thanks for so much info. This has been such a big help to me.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Anyone still collecting EB can see the chart with NELP's predictions on when it will end in each state. They have been accurate:

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 pm

The North Carolina bill number is HR 676, introduced today. It now has one co-sponser.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/memberList.pl?sChamber=House

Last edited by Need2Bworking on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm

[quote="Need2Bworking"]The North Carolina bill number is HR 676, introduced today. It now has one co-sponser.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/memberList.pl?sChamber=House

oh man...i was hoping to be the one to break the semi-good news...i came home from lunch and had a message from the nc employment security commission to give them a call...my email to governor perdue was forwarded to the esc commissioner...they also told me about 676 being introduced in the state house...it's a start...woohoo
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 2 Empty benefits just stopped with no notice

Post by carolinamom18 Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:21 pm

I didn't receive my benefits for this week. There was no notice from the NCESC, no mailing, nothing. When I called, they said my benefits ran out. I don't understand how they could just stop without giving notice. What am I supposed to do now?

carolinamom18
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 pm

carolinamom18 wrote:I didn't receive my benefits for this week. There was no notice from the NCESC, no mailing, nothing. When I called, they said my benefits ran out. I don't understand how they could just stop without giving notice. What am I supposed to do now?

I am in Charlotte. They dont give you notice as they expect you to keep uo with it all.Can you go back to day 1, the first check and count how many weeks you have received? That's the test and they are not always right. Get back to me by PM if you can and you should as I am an admin, I have a direct contact way to get to the top folks in Raleigh to straighten it out immediately if they made a mistake on your account. You need to do some homework first though. My name is John.

PS do you lnow if you received the full 26 weeks of Regular state UI payments before you went to EB ot the Fed Emergency tiers act? If not, just come back with the total number of weeks you got. I will get you an answer but maybe not what you want to hear but it will be the correct answer. Hopefully you got some left.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 pm

carolinamom18 wrote:I didn't receive my benefits for this week. There was no notice from the NCESC, no mailing, nothing. When I called, they said my benefits ran out. I don't understand how they could just stop without giving notice. What am I supposed to do now?

when you did your filing these past couple of weeks, do you do it over the phone or the internet...on the internet, it is suppossed to give you a "warning" - 'You Have Two Weeks Or Less Of Benefits'.....even i've been extremely diligent in keeping track of the weeks and tiers, but i was even off by 1 week when tier 2 ended for me...i would at least give them a call...if you had ended one tier, you should automatically go to the next tier, if you ended your tiers all together, i would think that extended benefits would have kicked in at least until the april 16 deadline...you didn't miss any type of appointment where you were suppossed to go in and show your job searches -maybe it's something as simple as that and they can get you back on track...hope it works out well
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next