Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Cspan_live_play-1

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

+13
KeeptheFaith
mya11
mrgolf
L.Montana
X
stilllooking
pugsrit
Bth13
@ries872
tofer
Phillymg
JaneWI
Corinne
17 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Empty Extended Benefits and April 16, 2011

Post by Corinne Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm

As of April 16th 2011 anyone that is between Tiers or finished with them WILL NOT BE RECEIVING EB, benefits..

There was a post this morning on the Wisconsin Unemployment claim board.
Corinne
Corinne
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Empty Re: Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by JaneWI Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:13 pm

I wonder what's going on with that.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  Empty Re: Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:24 pm

7.5% must be the trigger in Wisconsin to get EB. For the past two months WI has been at 7.4% ue rate.

Each state has its own trigger for EB.

Tennessee is also triggering off for EB but their ue rate is 9.6%--
http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/business/Extended--119120609.html

Go figure. Shocked

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Info on EB triggers from NELP--
http://www.nelp.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/resources/resource_entry/extended_benefits
Any state can "trigger on" to Extended Benefits when the level of unemployed workers covered by unemployment insurance reaches a certain level (those receiving UI must equal 5 percent or higher of all those employed). However, this is a high threshold that many states don't meet. Alternatively, a state may trigger on by its regular unemployment rates: it can provide 13 weeks of Extended Benefits when the average unemployment rate over the past three months is 6.5 percent or higher, and 20 weeks when the average unemployment rate is 8.0 percent or higher. Many states currently meet one of these two optional thresholds, but a state must have it written into their law that they will pay Extended Benefits based on its unemployment rate (known as the Total Unemployment Rate, or TUR). Unfortunately, many states do not have this law in place, yet require only a small, temporary change in order to provide Extended Benefits.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you for the info, Phillymg. Smile
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Many unemployed people thought when the Tax Cut bill passed that the tiers & EB would go till Dec. 31, 2011.....that if they couldn't find jobs at least they'd have a safety net. That was the grand 'compromise' lauded in the media.....the millionaires & billionaires would get their fantastic tax cuts.....but at least the unemployed would have a fairly long-term extension of UC benefits. Those unemployed people are now discovering that they were hoodwinked. Hopefully they will realize the necessity of having HR589 get passed. Every state would get the 14 additional weeks added to Tier I. All those folks in WI & TN had better start calling & emailing their congressmen & senators. Same with the ones in the states that never got EB in the first place.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Good idea, Philymg. Smile I believe there is going to be another major twitter event for Monday and Tuesday pushing for HR589. I plan on participating.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:51 pm

i just saw this announcement on the north carolina employment site today when i did my weekly claim...nc is also ending the extended benefits and we are at 9.7%...yes, i am freaking out...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by @ries872 Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm

THIS IS ALL SUCH A DISASTER!! UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!
@ries872
@ries872
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Trouble Maker???

Back to top Go down

Post by Bth13 Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 pm

It is the two year look back. The legislatures in these states must change to 3 year lookback. I know Pa isn't far off from this
"Based on data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on March 25, and current law, Indiana, North Carolina, Tennessee and Wisconsin no longer meet the 110% criteria to remain "on" in the EB program. The payable period for these states in EB concludes April 16, 2011".

Bth13
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:11 pm

hey Bth13...thank you for the explanation regarding the 2 year/3 year lookback...on the nc emp site, they only said it was stopping without any explanation....i also tried to find something thru searches to understand the change but couldn't...this helps me understand, still frustrated, but understand...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by Bth13 Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm

This explains it .
http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims_arch.asp

Bth13
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bth13 Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Also NELP has a PDF of Projected State Expiration dates based on the two year look back. If you search NELP Projected 2 year look back it should come up. I could not figure out how to copy to post it. It is very accurate.

Bth13
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 pm

MO lost there EB because of an a$%&*le senator. I would have had a little more peace if it just had triggered off. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though. I think EB should just trigger off based on the current unemployment rate.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Bth13 wrote:Also NELP has a PDF of Projected State Expiration dates based on the two year look back. If you search NELP Projected 2 year look back it should come up. I could not figure out how to copy to post it. It is very accurate.
Thanx Bth13 I'll look & see if I can copy&paste NELP info about EB triggers ending.

March unemployment rates WI--7.4%.....IN--8.8%.....TN--9.6%.....NC--9.7%

For the past two years.....these four states have used the standard percentages of 6.5% to get 13 weeks of EB & of 8.0% to get the further 7 weeks of EB. Now these four states will have zero EB.

No wonder that clown Lembke & his pals in MO felt like they had such a strong position from which to prevent unemployed Missourians from getting EB. Not to mention those other 9 states that never allowed their jobless citizens to get EB at all. It's become an all-out massive assault against Extended Benefits.

Months ago I predicted that things would get bad for the unemployed as the states' unemployment rates fell.....but this 'lookback' issue hit me right upside the head.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh Brother-This says Il uses a two year lookback & Nelp expects Il to trigger off in May. I can't believe that none of us knew about this until now. Governor Quinn signed a bill on Fri of this past week regarding unemployment so I guess I'll find the bill & see if it mentions anything about this. I'll let you know what I find out.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Taking care of my dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Ok I checked it out & Ill is okay the bill that got signed allows us to use the three year lookback, but they changed regular U.I. from 26 weeks to 25 for new people filing.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 pm

HOLEY COW..... affraid

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1

Of the 36 states eligible for federal EB in Jan 2011.....according to NELP's projections* most of them lose EB by May 2011.....6 will lose EB during the summer & 3 will lose EB in Oct......ONLY NEVADA WILL HAVE EB IN NOV. 2011.

So much for the conservative bloggers' complaints that '99 weeks is enough'. There won't be 99 weeks anymore for any states except Nevada.

Now that many states are losing Tier IV & EB.....the max will be 73 weeks & in many states it will be 60 weeks or 49 weeks. Just when long-term unemployment data is at its highest rate in recorded American history & climbing.....the states decide to cut off EB. These folks better get to emailing, faxing, & calling.....HR 589 is their only hope for survival if jobs don't come back in a big way.

Jobs are *not* coming back any time soon. The national UE rate is only 8.8%. To get back to where America was before the Bush/Cheney crash of 2008 we'd have to be at 6% or lower. Let's pray people get their act together & push for passage of HR 589.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  443306

Last edited by Phillymg on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm really worried about all the people who are going to be caught off guard by this because they are thinking that they are good through 2011 or whatever date they were planning for and now this. At least when you know it's coming you can plan accordingly.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I have a nephew in Tx on Tier 3 I believe, I wonder if this will affect him or if he will be able to collect EB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:I have a nephew in Tx on Tier 3 I believe, I wonder if this will affect him or if he will be able to collect EB.
NELP estimates that TX triggers off EB in July but TX is only at 8.2% so either has lost or is about to lose Tier IV since 8.5% is required for a state to get Tier IV.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 pm

This is really huge news and the term 99'r is really not very accurate anymore is it? I wonder why NELP and the state UE programs weren't more pro-active in letting folks know that this was going to be happening. I think people have been greatly mis-informed. So the compromise for the Bush tax credits to be extended wasn't quite what we all thought...............they got their tax credits free and clear but the unemployed were really not safe until Jan 2012 if they hadn't found a job or reached there 99 weeks.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Phillymg wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:I have a nephew in Tx on Tier 3 I believe, I wonder if this will affect him or if he will be able to collect EB.
NELP estimates that TX triggers off EB in July but TX is only at 8.2% so either has lost or is about to lose Tier IV since 8.5% is required for a state to get Tier IV.

I think my nephew said Tx lost Tier 4 a couple of months ago, he is on Tier 3 and would go to EB mid June.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

pugsrit wrote:This is really huge news and the term 99'r is really not very accurate anymore is it? I wonder why NELP and the state UE programs weren't more pro-active in letting folks know that this was going to be happening. I think people have been greatly mis-informed. So the compromise for the Bush tax credits to be extended wasn't quite what we all thought...............they got their tax credits free and clear but the unemployed were really not safe until Jan 2012 if they hadn't found a job or reached there 99 weeks.

I never cared for the term 99 er, I am a 73 er.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Phillymg wrote:

Thanks Mark, I just sent the link and info to my nephew (who is also named Mark), at least he will have a little warning that Tx is expected to trigger off EB a couple of weeks after he starts it. Maybe he can save a little and prepare with a couple of months notice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next