Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by X on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
Phillymg wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:I have a nephew in Tx on Tier 3 I believe, I wonder if this will affect him or if he will be able to collect EB.
http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1
NELP estimates that TX triggers off EB in July but TX is only at 8.2% so either has lost or is about to lose Tier IV since 8.5% is required for a state to get Tier IV.

I think my nephew said Tx lost Tier 4 a couple of months ago, he is on Tier 3 and would go to EB mid June.

Texas NEVER had a tier 4, just to clarify. 8.5 was never reached. However it has hovered above 7.99 so unless things have changed that I'm not aware of, EB should still be on until the TX unemployment rate stats drop < 8.0.
X
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
Phillymg wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:I have a nephew in Tx on Tier 3 I believe, I wonder if this will affect him or if he will be able to collect EB.
NELP estimates that TX triggers off EB in July but TX is only at 8.2% so either has lost or is about to lose Tier IV since 8.5% is required for a state to get Tier IV.

Thanks Mark, I just sent the link and info to my nephew (who is also named Mark), at least he will have a little warning that Tx is expected to trigger off EB a couple of weeks after he starts it. Maybe he can save a little and prepare with a couple of months notice.
You probably already told him.....if he emails/calls his congressman & senators to support HR 589 & it passes he would be eligible for 14 more weeks if he hasn't found a job by then.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:42 pm

X wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:
Phillymg wrote:

I think my nephew said Tx lost Tier 4 a couple of months ago, he is on Tier 3 and would go to EB mid June.

Texas NEVER had a tier 4, just to clarify. 8.5 was never reached. However it has hovered above 7.99 so unless things have changed that I'm not aware of, EB should still be on until the TX unemployment rate stats drop < 8.0.

Tx rate is currently 8.2

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Jazzy X is right. Texas hasn't ever hit a 3-month average of 8.5% or higher & thus has never qualified for Tier IV.

Regarding EB.....NELP says that Texas will lose EB in July if its Legislature fails to extend the two-year lookback law to three years.

Failure to extend the Two-Year Lookback Law to a Three-Year Lookback Law is what's causing 35 of the states that qualified for EB in Jan 2011 to lose EB by Oct 2011--most of them by May 2011. Including Texas in July.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by X on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Phillymg, I like that... "Jazzy X"... has a certain ring to it Very Happy

I must try it sometime!
X
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

So far.....only Oregon, Massachusetts, & Michigan (& recently Illinois) have enacted the Three-Year Lookback Law to let them to continue getting EB if their UE rates are over 6.5% (for the initial 13 weeks) & 8.0% (for the further 7 weeks).

Last edited by Phillymg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 am

i'm still riled-up...i've sent off a message to the governor of NC that the change from a 2 year lookback to a 3 year lookback should be approved as we are are at 9.7....

i've also fired off an email to the local tv station. they had a number of calls today about this issue and did a story on it...when they finished and summed everything up, "Federal extensions are still in place"...

they have totally confused everyone in the viewing area...no one ever said the Federal extensions (Tiers) were going away....it's the EB that is going away in NC...they used the wrong terminology and even my friend called me up and said there was nothing to worry about...arrrggghhh
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by L.Montana on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:06 am

My son in law just finished tier 1,2 weeks ago,he called and TALKED to someone in the unemployment office (state level,not local) She told him he'd get his extension,and his benifits WOULD NOT be disrupted,BUT he'd exhausted his current job's benifits (which was the maximum ammount) Now he was under the impression that he was "job attached" (He works for the enviromental clean up,here in NW MT) And would be going back to work when the snow & mud left (If it ever does scratch ) Well guess what?? Obama CUT the clean up funds affraid and his company told him,when he called that because of the Fed cuts,they were only bringing back a skeleton crew in JULY and theey took away their "job attachment!) Nice to let their workers know,huh?? So their family of 5 is down to a little less than $200 a week.
Guess what,though?? His check wasn't deposited........so he's got to get back on the phone again Monday........it's almost as if the Fed.Gov really doesn't care at all.....they're just leaving us hang out to dry......or fade away??? I've faxed,emailed,wrote,and have NEVER gotten a consise answer from Mt's Gov or Senators.......just lip service.......yadda,yadda......."yes we agree,but no,we're not really helping....." Lori

L.Montana
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Corinne on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:05 pm

I just don't get this anymore..Even tho I've exhausted all my benefits last March and NO job yet we're all stuck in this mess..
Yesterday while surfing data.. Wisconsin lost 2,200 jobs in March 2011.. Every county in Wisc. the unemployment rate increased, they had NO explanation why this is happening here.. Our rate now is 8.8..Feb. was 7.4..
This is horrible-how are people suppose to live NOT receiving any assistance..More homeless living under our bridges.. I'm 55-applied for over 1300 jobs and I'm not getting anything..I'm screwed, sick of living this way..
We were thrown under the bus a yr. ago and have been there since, we have faxed+emailed to be dumped on and left to just existing. I get response mail via e-mail from letters I sent last Oct.
H.R.589 has to be passed-- and soon..But my feeling is that it's going to take a hell of alot of people to back us on this..
Corinne
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm

another day later and i'm still furious about the end to extended benefits in nc...this has hit the news articles and tv today with many other people frustrated like i am...i received NO response to my email to the Governor of NC about this...i received NO response from the local news channel that their story last night about this was partly inaccurate and misleading...today, the NC Employment Security Commission was interviewed and said there was nothing they could do since this is driven by the FED....ANOTHER MISTAKE as the Fed has changed their rules to allow a 3 year lookback for states to assess their eligibility. It is now up to the individual state legislatures to adopt this change.

I don't see this happening in NC as they are too busy with other stupid, useless changes in the NC laws...there is now a bill in the NC Legislature to allow liquor tasting at the local ABC stores (ABC stores are the only place in NC to buy liquor as it is controlled by the state)....I guess if it passes, since I won't have Extended Benefits, I can get free liquor samples...so, that's the win/win in this situation.

I don't know how else to get this message to the people of NC that we are being mislead on this Extended Benefit eligibility.

The madder i get, the faster i type...i think i smell smoke from my keyboard...arrrgghhh
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I am sorry you have to go through this, tofer. I felt the same way when my state refused to accept the feds money for EB.

The local news reported we didn't "qualify" for Eb and people just let it go. The fact was our Governor decided not to accept the feds money.

The media helped mislead the public, again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corinne on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Off subject here-how did I get a valued poster as my avatar??????
Corinne
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Corinne wrote:Off subject here-how did I get a valued poster as my avatar??????

i just noticed this too...kinda got me excited
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:I am sorry you have to go through this, tofer. I felt the same way when my state refused to accept the feds money for EB.

The local news reported we didn't "qualify" for Eb and people just let it go. The fact was our Governor decided not to accept the feds money.

i just sent off an email to the head of the nc employment security commission stating that his comments today in the news are misleading...he blamed the eligibility issue on the federal government...i directed him to the us dept of labor website that shows they have offered up a change from a 2 year lookback rule to a 3 year lookback rule, and it is up to the individual states to adopt this change...which would re-certify nc into the eb program...
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:08 pm

tofer wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:I am sorry you have to go through this, tofer. I felt the same way when my state refused to accept the feds money for EB.

i just sent off an email to the head of the nc employment security commission stating that his comments today in the news are misleading...he blamed the eligibility issue on the federal government...i directed him to the us dept of labor website that shows they have offered up a change from a 2 year lookback rule to a 3 year lookback rule, and it is up to the individual states to adopt this change...which would re-certify nc into the eb program...

If I were you I might contact all the local media and give them the correct info as well. Maybe write some letters to editors and get some attention and educate the public. There are 37k losing benefits. Everyone needs to know the state has a quick fix for this but they are not using it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey Need2BWorking...that is a great idea...especially about the editors...i sent off an email last night to the local tv station about their news story and received no reply back..at least if i sent in an editorial, there would be a better chance of getting this simple fact in the public domain...thank you...i have some work to do tomorrow on this issue...
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 am

Many long-term unemployed people have no clue what's coming down the pike for them *really really soon*. No jobs & no Extended Benefits.

Shocked

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 am

Phillymg wrote:Many long-term unemployed people have no clue what's coming down the pike for them *really really soon*. No jobs & no Extended Benefits.

Shocked
Yep. i never thought they would stop giving extensions with the unemployment rate so high
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by L.Montana on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Yeah,Montana hasn't picked up any jobs either.I did however get an email from Baucus,announcing a "STUDY" on some biotech facility in Billings,that COULD create 30-40 jobs in the $60,000-$70,000 range and MAYBE eventually if the study goes well & yadda,yadda it might create 200 jobs............problem is ..Billings is 14 hours from us No . I really feel like the 99ners (or in our case 79ners) are just being forgotten,no matter how much we raise a fuss........and I don't understand how they can just ignore us........I mean,if my 3 grandkids get on a roll,teasing,bugging & aggravating each other,one has to step in a stop the issue......doesn't it seem like they'd get tired of listening and the onslaught of emails,faxes ect and try to solve the issue?? Lori

L.Montana
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

i'm determined to get someone's attention in nc about this...the governor has ignored my email, the local news stations has ignored my email, the commissioner of the esc office has ignored my email...now i've sent the below to our US Senator from NC....

Dear Senator Hagan...I'm writing this note trying to find someone that understands the unemployment issue in NC and will listen. This past week, the notice has been publicized regarding the ending of Extended Benefits for NC's unemployed. Even though i'm still on the tiers, I am frustrated at the mis-information that our local leaders and the local news media have been propagating. What does it take to get the proper information out to the unemployed of NC? I have researched this thoroughly and understand the formula used by states to assess eligibility. The original formula from the Federal Government said that states were to use a 2 year lookback rule. Based on this 2 year lookback rule, NC no longer qualifies for the EB program. However, the Federal Government has changed the rule to a 3 year lookback. Under a 3 year lookback, NC would now be eligible for the EB program. Everyone in the news media and the ESC office is blaming the Fed. It is not the Fed, it is the NC State Legislature. The Federal government has left it up to the states to make the decision on rather they should adopt the new change to 3 years. NC has not. I understand that other states also have chosen not to adopt the new rule simply out of fiscal concern, as the money for this program would eventually have to be paid back to the Federal government. I think at 9.7% unemployment, NC should at least ponder the change to re-establish the EB program. I'm not one to make a big fuss, but I have received no response from our Governer's Office, the local news channel, nor the Commissioner of the ESC. I would be glad to contact every member of the NC General Assembly, but I see they are too busy passing legislation such as the new Senate Bill 276 to allow liquor tastings at ABC stores. What has happened to our priorities? Thank you for your time and consideration.
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Good going Tofer.....keep it up!! You're on the front lines of what's going to become the *biggest* unemployment news in the nation.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Local news in Charlotte reported that today ESC would have more details about the extended benefits, so far nothing.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:15 pm

mya11 wrote:Local news in Charlotte reported that today ESC would have more details about the extended benefits, so far nothing.

nothing on the raleigh news today...even on wral website, the news story has been pushed aside and no one is making any additional comments...i really don't understand why the esc is saying they will have more details, it is up to our state legislature to amend the rules to a 3 year lookback...15 months, i'm so tired...
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 pm

IMPORTANT INFO ON EXTENDED BENEFITS ENDING--

NELP estimates on which month the states that get EB will lose it--

Information about the Three-Year Lookback Law--

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims_arch.asp

Only Oregon, Massachusetts, Michigan, & Illinois have passed the Three-Year Lookback Law to let them to continue getting EB if their UE rates are over 6.5% (for the initial 13 weeks) & 8.0% (for the further 7 weeks).

This is a very important factor in urging Congress to pass HR 589.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum