Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Deep Proposed Budget Cuts Would Weaken Programs Targeted to Low-Income Older Americans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deep Proposed Budget Cuts Would Weaken Programs Targeted to Low-Income Older Americans

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 am

"President's Budget Undermines the Only Jobs Program for Vulnerable Seniors

WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 2011
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Spending cuts included in the President's
FY2012 budget release today would drastically slash initiatives that
empower older Americans to sustain their health and economic
independence.

The budget proposes a 45% cut in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP),
the only major jobs program targeted specifically to helping
disadvantaged older adults who need to remain in or return to the
workforce to avoid financial crisis. SCSEP serves those with extremely
low incomes, with eligibility limited to 125% of the federal poverty
line (currently $13,613). This cut would
result in the loss of over 55,000 part-time jobs, causing thousands of
mature workers to struggle to remain employed."
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/deep-proposed-budget-cuts-would-weaken-programs-targeted-to-low-income-older-americans-116191469.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Deep Proposed Budget Cuts Would Weaken Programs Targeted to Low-Income Older Americans

Post by Kat on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 am

This program (SCSEP) was the only thing between me and complete destitution & homlesness when my UI benefits ran out.
Other than food stamps, this was the ONLY assistance available to me (as a displaced older worker) - and my 3 month temp. SCSEP job placement was succesful in leading to a permanent full time position. It allowed me a means to sustain myself while continuing my job search.
Why slash a program that actually works?

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Deep Proposed Budget Cuts Would Weaken Programs Targeted to Low-Income Older Americans

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

SCSEP is also the AARP Worksearch program. I'm not surprised at this. Why would they cut a program that works? Because Washington is heartless. They don't care about us, and they have no problem showing it.

Worrywart once asked me if I thought politicians were callous or clueless. I told him callous, and in the months since then I have not seen anything that would make me think otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 am

I have heard so many people rave about this program was looking forward to trying to get into it next birthday...............

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am

Oh My God.

Oh My God.

Oh My God.

Timothy Geithner is in charge of the destruction of America.

Timmy I hope your female relatives sit you down & spank you.

As for Mr. Obama his mother is turning over in her Hallowed grave.

Let's solve the deficit/debt crisis not by ending the *WARS* or curtailing outsourcing but by ending low-paid p/t jobs done by 55,000 senior citizens. Yeah that's the ticket to h*ll.

Last edited by Phillymg on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:24 am

I'm getting the impression that a mass die-off of the older and unemployed population is perfectly acceptable to the Powers That Be. And right now I'm including Obama in that. Seems like we're collateral damage, acceptable losses. It's the American version of putting the elders on an ice floe.

Mind over matter. They don't mind, 'cause we don't matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 am

Been feeling like collateral damage for while now.................

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 am

Need2Bworking wrote:Been feeling like collateral damage for while now.................

Believe me, I know the feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:43 am

I'm a guy so maybe people think it's weird for me to say this but I have a mom & aunts & sisters & neices & a gf etc......

The planned SCSEP cuts will affect MOSTLY OLDER FEMALES.

I bet if they did a study of how many of the 55,000 workers to be laid off are women they'd find that most of them are women.

This is unbelievably unjust. An outright holocaust against females.

& The Program WORKS as Sunshine & Kat have said.....this is insanity to reduce/cancel such an efficient effective highly productive program.

How to destroy a country in 1, 2, 3.....kill all the older women..... No

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 am

I think you are right Mark, every one I know in that program is female, elderly and partially disabled as a matter of fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:48 am

Phillymg wrote:I'm a guy so maybe people think it's weird for me to say this but I have a mom & aunts & sisters & neices & a gf etc......

The planned SCSEP cuts will affect MOSTLY OLDER FEMALES.

I bet if they did a study of how many of the 55,000 workers to be laid off are women they'd find that most of them are women.

This is unbelievably unjust. An outright holocaust against females.

& The Program WORKS as Sunshine & Kat have said.....this is insanity to reduce/cancel such an efficient effective highly productive program.

How to destroy a country in 1, 2, 3.....kill all the older women..... No

I don't think what you said is strange at all.

Now I've heard that the Administration is proposing this in an effort to head off Republicans who want to kill these programs entirely. Well, what's better, a slow death, or a quick one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 am

Either way its financial genocide on elderly and disabled women.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am

Phillymg's remark about the impact on older females reminds me of what happened at a federal agency I worked at years ago. They slashed positions, and those cuts were only clerical workers. HR sent out this cute little young judas goat to interview the women. He told everyone that they were going to "eliminate the clerical positions, but don't worry, we're going to put you in a position like the one we eliminated in the first place."

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

One lady I knew thought that since she was this executive secretary's flunky and did all her work, that she'd be safe. She wasn't. I knew I was on the list to go because I'd filed a grievance against management and won. No surprise there.

Women either retired early, or transferred to other federal jobs if they could. A large number were screwed, plain and simple. Some transferred to a word processing center that was created to take the place of the clerical pool. That center closed down after a year.

No one gave a damn.

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

Related: Yes Fox news is reporting on unemployment and real unemployment numbers. As of lately they have been making it very clear as to the discrepancy
in the 9% wonderful unemployment rate and revealing the actual number out of work.. So as well as this phony stuff,and being ignored and now cutting lifeline jobs. Well if your older your in the way! Euthanasia around the corner maybe the unemployed too!
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 pm

This absolutely reprehensible.......you cant tell me its not deliberate discrimination!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Woof wrote:This absolutely reprehensible.......you cant tell me its not deliberate discrimination!

It sure seems discriminatory since most in the program are female, ALL over 55 and many disabled so you have sex, age and disability discrimination-

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
Woof wrote:This absolutely reprehensible.......you cant tell me its not deliberate discrimination!

It sure seems discriminatory since most in the program are female, ALL over 55 and many disabled so you have sex, age and disability discrimination-

This is ridiculous.....blatant discrimination against the female older population......I just don't understand how they get away with these things......and they spin it that everyone has to sacrifice and tighten their belts.....This is is an injustice.....and I am really shocked and appalled that they are able to get away with this......
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 pm

KeeptheFaith wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:

This is ridiculous.....blatant discrimination against the female older population......I just don't understand how they get away with these things......and they spin it that everyone has to sacrifice and tighten their belts.....This is is an injustice.....and I am really shocked and appalled that they are able to get away with this......
Yep, they want everyone to tighten their belts even more when all regular people have been tightening their belts for at least 4 years already and it's not possible to tighten anymore. Meanwhile, all of the global banks and corporations are raking in record profits and record bonuses when they are the ones that caused all of this and they are the ones that should be tightened! Everyone else is all tightened out! Twisted Evil
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Obama is doing this to call out the repubs. They want to cut well here is there chance. They will never do what they say. These cuts will get hacked to pieces. Sucks to be a poker chip I have to say.

Another way to make the problem worse cutting spending will kill more jobs too. But wait the rich are going to create jobs with there tax breaks. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:39 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Obama is doing this to call out the repubs. They want to cut well here is there chance. They will never do what they say. These cuts will get hacked to pieces. Sucks to be a poker chip I have to say.

Another way to make the problem worse cutting spending will kill more jobs too. But wait the rich are going to create jobs with there tax breaks. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Getthem, I hope you're right, and that's all this is. Getting pretty tired of being a pawn for these SOBs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Isn't the Energy Assistance program headed for the chopping block in this new budget as well...????

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes, LIHEAP is on the chopping block.
503Depressed
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Kat wrote:Isn't the Energy Assistance program headed for the chopping block in this new budget as well...????

No they are adjusting it due the the price of gas. It went down since they last wrote the budget. With gas prices going back up they should just leave it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum