Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Record number of Americans get government help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Record number of Americans get government help

Post by Sunrise on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:40 pm

One in six Americans is receiving help from the government, just as fiscal austerity threatens to reduce some of that aid.

Unemployment insurance: More than 8.4 million people are
collecting either state or federal jobless benefits. While enrollment is
down from its peak of 12 million early last year, it is still more than
double the number it was when the recession began in late 2007.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/12/news/economy/government_safety_net/index.htm?iid=EAL
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Record number of Americans get government help

Post by Sunrise on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 pm

12.0 million people
- 8.4 million people

= 3.6 million people

That are NOT being counted and most probably have exhausted all of their benefits!
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Record numbers of unemployed, record number of people getting help from the government and record foreclosures.

Now why would anyone think this is the time to cut funding to programs that are a lifeline for many, including many children.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:Record numbers of unemployed, record number of people getting help from the government and record foreclosures.

Now why would anyone think this is the time to cut funding to programs that are a lifeline for many, including many children.

This is one time that I am not supporting the President's actions! I think that he has his eyes focused too much on 2012 and is trying to appeal to a broader base.

This is NOT the time to stop spending - just about every economist whose article I've read agrees.
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:Record numbers of unemployed, record number of people getting help from the government and record foreclosures.

This is one time that I am not supporting the President's actions! I think that he has his eyes focused too much on 2012 and is trying to appeal to a broader base.

This is NOT the time to stop spending - just about every economist whose article I've read agrees.

Exactly....so what exactily do they expect people to do.....People can barely survive now on what little they have.....and now they want to cut services.....that are desperately needed......There will be evern more people on the streets.....This is so INSANE......
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

KeeptheFaith wrote:
Sunrise wrote:

Exactly....so what exactily do they expect people to do.....People can barely survive now on what little they have.....and now they want to cut services.....that are desperately needed......There will be evern more people on the streets.....This is so INSANE......

I agree

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm

KeeptheFaith wrote:
Sunrise wrote:

There are some that believe that people enjoy being poor enough to qualify for these programs and that being hungry is a great motivator. There is a reason these programs were put into place and it wasn't so people would "live large" on the benefits.

JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum