Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Cspan_live_play-1

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

+30
rubeNG
sbraney
sune
kalst13
X
trotter39
truth
KeeptheFaith
lendmeflight2
Tresa
laidoff2008
doreenb
kjps12
luvher_501
Jen
bassdisco
Phillymg
wowwhathappen
child of the King
MaryKayCoyne
TMKLBMT
stilllooking
G
elvis44102
mistermunster
unemployed2long/1208
Feyth
mrgolf
TomW
ET
34 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Empty Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by ET Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm

http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-cincinnati/legislation-to-assist-99ers-goes-to-committee-house-of-representatives

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d112:1:./temp/~bdhLi1:@@@L&summ2=m&|/home/LegislativeData.php?n=BSS;c=112|

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h589/show

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/112_HR_589.html#commentform

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-589

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr589
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er, Graphic Designer, Fine Artist, Scuba Diver, Swimmer, Tennis

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

ET wrote:http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-cincinnati/legislation-to-assist-99ers-goes-to-committee-house-of-representatives

It picked up another sponsor today! Up to 61 now.

Back to top Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by TomW Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm

ET wrote:http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-cincinnati/legislation-to-assist-99ers-goes-to-committee-house-of-representatives
The bill is fully funded, so it seems like that would improve its chances of passing greatly!

"Previously, there was some confusion regarding how this legislation
would be funded. This issue has been clarified and the bill will be
paid for by funds from the ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
of 2009), specifically funds from the American Appropriations Act of
2009. Due to current cost cutting measures in Congress, appropriate
funding for this bill was essential, if it were to get any consideration
for passage."
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er as of April '11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

https://www.popvox.com/accounts/register/check_inbox?email=mosestate18@yahoo.com

Vote here to support 589. Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   204917

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:

I'm not going to start cooling the champagne until they get at least one Republican
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm

I don't believe the bill is paid for. I wish it was.

Statement from Congresswoman Lee

"The bill that I am introducing with Congressman Scott, The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act, would ensure that these long-term unemployed workers get the long overdue assistance that they need to support their families, make ends meet and contribute to our economy," Lee said in a statement. "Our bill would add 14 weeks of emergency unemployment benefits and would make sure these benefits are retroactively available to people who have exhausted all their benefits and are still unemployed."

Given Republican hostility to additional deficit spending -- Lee's office said the cost of the extra benefits would not be offset -- the effort will likely amount to little more than a reminder that long-term unemployment persists even though much of the nation's political discourse is focused on signs of economic recovery.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Lee said in the press conference that they would seek to get it through as emergency funding, but if the Republicans refused to bring it to the floor that way, they would seek to offset the cost with cuts from somewhere else. Sorry, I don't remember if I read this in the Huff or the LA Times.

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Feyth wrote:Lee said in the press conference that they would seek to get it through as emergency funding, but if the Republicans refused to bring it to the floor that way, they would seek to offset the cost with cuts from somewhere else. Sorry, I don't remember if I read this in the Huff or the LA Times.
That is what I heard too. I got an email from Gregg or Mike stating that. (I wish I could find that email)
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 pm

http://www.newsmax.com/Murdock/taxes-Tom-Coburn/2011/02/11/id/385764

Here is 700 billion gathering dust. scratch scratch scratch

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., holds the treasure map. He and his team cite
an Office of Management and Budget document with the page-turning title
Balances of Budget Authority — Budget of the U.S. Government — Fiscal
Year 2011.

On page 8, Table 1 indicates in black and white that this fiscal year's
federal budget contains $703,128,000,000 in "unobligated balances."

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:

Petty. but I thought it was 61 the other day! Oh well!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

OK, Is this saying the bill is headed to the house for first debates??? Well If it gets past there its a lock for us!!! But am I reading this right! Its out to the house for proceeding debates?????
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. OH MADELINE!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad
Please!!! i don't want to EVER see that d!@$ KIDS picture EVER AGAIN!!!! let alone the GOPer tripe that went with it.
mistermunster
mistermunster
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Feyth wrote:Lee said in the press conference that they would seek to get it through as emergency funding, but if the Republicans refused to bring it to the floor that way, they would seek to offset the cost with cuts from somewhere else. Sorry, I don't remember if I read this in the Huff or the LA Times.

Offset from tan mans slush fund! Drinker of the house! Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   48797 Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   630201
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

only thing in our favor is 14 weeks is a little more acceptable! Maybe!
Watch when Bohener(how the hell do you spell it anyway). Picks up his glass of water and its really vodka!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Stick with the new title!!!

Drinker of the house! u no who!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 pm

I am angry and also done!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm

unobligated balances -- The portion of budget authority that has not yet been obligated. When budget authority is provided for one fiscal year, any unobligated balances at the end of that year expire and are no longer available for obligation. When budget authority is provided for a specific number of years, any unobligated balances are carried forward and are available for obligation during the years specified. When budget authority is provided for an unspecified number of years, the unobligated balances are carried forward indefinitely, until either they are rescinded, the purpose for which they were provided is accomplished, or no disbursements have been made for two consecutive years.

http://www.newsmax.com/Murdock/taxes-Tom-Coburn/2011/02/11/id/385764

SO there is money $700Bil that is probably sitting in some 5 year long program thats there but it is not there. its not sitting there gathering dust, BUT it HAS been counted in the DEFICIT.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 am

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:OK, Is this saying the bill is headed to the house for first debates??? Well If it gets past there its a lock for us!!! But am I reading this right! Its out to the house for proceeding debates?????
It needs to get out df committee first which is very doubtful without Republican support
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 am

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:OK, Is this saying the bill is headed to the house for first debates??? Well If it gets past there its a lock for us!!! But am I reading this right! Its out to the house for proceeding debates?????

In case there is some confusion out there:

1) The Bill is titled, The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act.

2) The funding that was first looked at was from the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008 (section 4).

3) The bill is not headed to the floor yet. They are still gathering additional Co-Sponsors and they are working on the Republicans. There is some discussion that there are Republicans who support this bill. BUT, they are each trying to decide who will be the first to show public support and when it would be best to do so.

4) When I first started releasing some of the information that came as a result of the discussions the American 99ers Union were having with Rep. Lee and her Staff, folks kept asking, "how long do we have to wait?". I understand that time is a valuable commodity and one that is in short supply right now. At the same time, please understand that creating the plan of attack to fight the good fight, meant that this bill would not be pushed along for the sake of some positive, short term public relations.

5) I say this as a point of fact and without ego... Do not believe every article and rumor that comes down the pike. I don't believe that there are many out there that have spent the last month in discussion with Rep. Lee's Office as relates to this bill and the way in which things would unfold. No, there are no guarantees that this bill will be legislated. At the same time, every effort is being made and there is a "method to their madness".

G
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 am

G,
Thanks for clearing things up. You are right there are sooo many articles & reports out there that after awhile it all gets kinda jumbled up. Will try to have patience and continue calling those Reps.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Taking care of my dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks for the update G and thanks for all you have done
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   Empty Timeline....any idea at all?

Post by TMKLBMT Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:09 am

I understand that no one can say how quickly this will move. We all agree how quickly it SHOULD move- but as we have already seen- for whatever reasons, it is not on a fast track!

I wish that we had some sort of an idea of how things should move. Maybe based on previous experience (Tier 3 stuff- I was not around then?)?

If I am understanding correctly- it is currently sitting in a committee. Has been there for like a week now. Does a week in committee = certain death? If not, then when- two weeks, three weeks? If it makes it out of committee then does it goes to the floor- which apparantly some already think because of this article it is...but our best "inside" source says it is not true??

I am just trying to sort it all out and know so that I can be realistic.

TMKLBMT
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKayCoyne Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks for the update G and I agree, can't believe every article or story. The old saying in Customer Service was always ask three reps the same question, you will get three different "opinions".

Let's just keep up the emails and calls and twitters (I am getting there, thanks DiR. Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   618340

MaryKayCoyne
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Unemployed Operations Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by child of the King Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks G for all you do!! I really appreciate your dedication and hard work. You've shown great courage and strength in standing up to the Fox News crew each time they tried to make the 99ers seem lazy and unmotivated. They only succeeded in making themselves look clueless,thanks to your calm informative answers.
child of the King
child of the King
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Reading . Can't afford anything else!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 am

child of the King wrote:Thanks G for all you do!! I really appreciate your dedication and hard work. You've shown great courage and strength in standing up to the Fox News crew each time they tried to make the 99ers seem lazy and unmotivated. They only succeeded in making themselves look clueless,thanks to your calm informative answers.

X2!! Thanks G! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next