Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Cspan_live_play-1

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients

+2
JaneWI
Phillymg
6 posters

Go down

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Empty TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients

Post by Phillymg Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/29/blake-farenthold-unemployment-drugs/

GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Accuses Unemployed of Being Alcoholics & Drug Addicts

Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-TX) held a "listening session" at Burns Elementary School on Tuesday where he discussed a variety of issues with a crowd of nearly two dozen constituents. One of the attendees uploaded video of the session on YouTube.
At one point during the session, a man asked about drug testing for “welfare recipients.” Farenthold said that this is an idea worth considering, and then went on to complain that unemployment insurance is too generous. He then compared Americans on unemployment insurance to alcoholics and drug addicts:
FARENTHOLD: Drug testing for recipients of various welfare programs, I really think that’s something that needs to be considered. We’ve gotta, you know, nobody wants to starve anybody. Everybody wants to help folks out. But we’ve got a system where you can stay on unemployment for an awfully long time. And I think we need to create a system of decreasing benefits over time to encourage you to get a job. I think anybody who’s had an alcoholic in their life or somebody with a drug problem, realizes that until things get bad enough there’s no incentive to change. I think that we’re so generous in some of our social problems that people are unwilling to get a job outside in the heat. Rather than get 15 dollars to go get roofing they’d rather get 9 or 10 dollars in benefits. I think drug testing is not an unreasonable requirement to get benefits.
Farenthold’s insults towards unemployed Americans are as devoid of factual backing as they are offensive. The reason there are so many unemployed people in his state right now is because the jobs simply do not exist, not that unemployment benefits are too “generous.”
These teabaggers sure do play fast & loose with the government's money. Just who is going to pay for the drug testing at $35 per test?? I'll pee in a cup if he will & if he pays for it.

Last edited by Phillymg on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Empty Re: TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients

Post by JaneWI Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 pm

There is way too much of this type of behavior going on. There is a steady stream of talk that portrays anyone who needs help as "gaming the system", "drug addicts", "alcoholic", etc. What these people do not have are any facts based in reality to back up their claim, but people still buy into it.

It's a real shame that working people are convinced that other working people have caused many of the problems in this country instead of looking at the real source of the problems, that being a serious lack of living wage jobs in this country.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients Empty Re: TX GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold Wants to Decrease UC Benefits & Wants to Drug Test UC Recipients

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Send me to the line and stick me to draw blood or make me pee.. Nothing here to worry about! Whats next??? DNA!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Long form birth certificate?

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 pm

truth wrote:Long form birth certificate?

lol!
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gigichicago Tue May 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Sent Rep. Farenholt an email which I said I agreed with drug testing but would like to know who will pay for it. Also, Congress representatives should take the drug testing plus alcohol testing on a monthly basis. All the representatives can pay for the testing due to the high salary they receive.

http://blakefarenthold.com/
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aloneinpa Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 am

JaneWI wrote:There is way too much of this type of behavior going on. There is a steady stream of talk that portrays anyone who needs help as "gaming the system", "drug addicts", "alcoholic", etc. What these people do not have are any facts based in reality to back up their claim, but people still buy into it.

I think the Republicans are doing this on purpose, make up or create any negative image of anyone who needs the assistance of a social safety net. This way when the R's propose cuts to any social safety net programs, they think the people will go along w/ it. This has been their MO for many years now. The R's have hated social safety nets since their inception during the FDR years and have been trying to get rid of these programs ever since.

It's a real shame that working people are convinced that other working people have caused many of the problems in this country instead of looking at the real source of the problems, that being a serious lack of living wage jobs in this country.

So important that we continue to speak out against this kind of ignorance and continue to put pressure on the Republicans. We can not allow them to demonize average Americans who have fallen on hard times and make them the scapegoats for this economic mess. We the unemployed did not create this recession, and we want our lives back.
aloneinpa
aloneinpa
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed May 04, 2011 8:44 am

aloneinpa wrote:
JaneWI wrote:There is way too much of this type of behavior going on. There is a steady stream of talk that portrays anyone who needs help as "gaming the system", "drug addicts", "alcoholic", etc. What these people do not have are any facts based in reality to back up their claim, but people still buy into it.

I think the Republicans are doing this on purpose, make up or create any negative image of anyone who needs the assistance of a social safety net. This way when the R's propose cuts to any social safety net programs, they think the people will go along w/ it. This has been their MO for many years now. The R's have hated social safety nets since their inception during the FDR years and have been trying to get rid of these programs ever since.

So important that we continue to speak out against this kind of ignorance and continue to put pressure on the Republicans. We can not allow them to demonize average Americans who have fallen on hard times and make them the scapegoats for this economic mess. We the unemployed did not create this recession, and we want our lives back.

Love the way you explain it. Smile
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down