In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 51 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

When Companies Refuse to Interview the Unemployed for Jobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When Companies Refuse to Interview the Unemployed for Jobs

Post by worrywart on Tue May 24, 2011 4:21 pm

By ADAM COHEN – Tue May 24, 11:40 am ET

“. . . .Some employers argue that they have a perfectly reasonable right to weed out the unemployed and that it is just good business. People who have lost jobs or have never been hired are less qualified as a group than those who are currently working, they say. People who are out of the workforce for a significant period of time may also have fallen behind in skills.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110524/us_time/08599207352000;_ylt=ApUcwV1maQPAiRQGRGX9gupg.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTMxNzZsN2JoBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMTA1MjQvMDg1OTkyMDczNTIwMDAEY2NvZGUDdG9wZ21wZQRjcG9zAzYEcG9zAzYEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN3aGVuY29tcGFuaWU-
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: When Companies Refuse to Interview the Unemployed for Jobs

Post by JaneWI on Tue May 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank you for the post! Smile
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gigichicago on Tue May 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Many people with whom I worked with did not have the skills that were needed for the job they held. They had to be trained by the company or trained by the other employees. This article shows us that discrimination is at an all time high for the unemployed.

How do you fight this kind of discrimination?

gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jan99 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 am

gigichicago wrote:Many people with whom I worked with did not have the skills that were needed for the job they held. They had to be trained by the company or trained by the other employees. This article shows us that discrimination is at an all time high for the unemployed.

How do you fight this kind of discrimination?

Support Rep. Hank Johnson's bill, HR 1113, the "Fair Employment Act of 2011" to end discrimination against the unemployed. It would be an amendment to the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billnum=H.R.1113&congress=112&size=full

jan99
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart on Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 am

JaneWI wrote:Thank you for the post! Smile

Hi JaneWI,

It is my pleasure to have found something that might be of interest to this Forum. . . .

It is also my pleasure to report that not every single company-of-hire behaves this way . . . mine hired me after 92 weeks LTU, and my 138-er friend just got hired for a career-level position also. From the Original Forum, mauigirl got hired for a living-wage-job after more than two years unemployed, as did rolotomasi. Lately, Quiethawk has gotten a full-time job (after 2.5 years LTU). Other members I have not named have gotten full time jobs, I am sure, and many others have obtained part time jobs - while still continuing to pursue that "brass ring" of full-time, permanent, living-wage employment.

Also, I feel that people who really study the plethora of job search advice - on such Forums as DAWU - DO have an advantage over those of our unemployed who do not come to these Forums.

WW
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum