Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

NC benefits restored for NC on EB Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
NC benefits restored for NC on EB Cspan_live_play-1

NC benefits restored for NC on EB Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

NC benefits restored for NC on EB

3 posters

Go down

NC benefits restored for NC on EB Empty NC benefits restored for NC on EB

Post by Terrync Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Finally....
Gov. Bev Perdue signed an Executive Order Friday to restore federal unemployment benefits for thousands of North Carolinians.
Here’s the statement released by her press office:

“For weeks, I have been trying to work with the Republican legislative leaders to get them to do the right thing: send me a clean bill to extend the unemployment benefits for 47,000 North Carolinians who have lost their jobs. But instead of acting responsibly on this matter, the Republican legislature has repeatedly refused to send me such a bill. Instead, they have persistently attempted to use our unemployed workers as hostages by tying the extension of their benefits to my acceptance of budget bills that would inflict severe and unnecessary cuts to our schools and other essential programs.
Meanwhile, thousands of North Carolina families are running out of money and options. I hear from them all over the state. They visit my website and Facebook page to beg for help.
One woman called my office recently. She has a background in accounting and has been looking for work for months. Because she lost her benefits she and her daughter can no longer stay in their apartment. They have nowhere to put their belongings so they will also lose everything that they can’t carry to the homeless shelter.Sadly, this story is not unique. The people I hear from say they can’t keep the lights on. Banks are ready to foreclose.
And yet, the Republicans in the legislature stubbornly cling to their political games. Just yesterday, they voted down a measure to separate this issue from their budget. Enough is enough. They continue to use desperate people as leverage to extort my support for an ideologically-driven budget that needlessly cuts millions from our public schools and inflicts millions of dollars more in damage to our universities, pre-school programs, community colleges, job creation efforts and vital health care services. I will not stand for it and I will not sit by idly as the legislature continues to play these games and deny the jobless the unemployment benefits they need.
Let me remind you that the extension of unemployment benefits for the unemployed costs the state of North Carolina nothing; the benefits are paid for entirely with federal funds.
Every week we deny these benefits is another week that we keep $11 million of federal funds from flowing into our economy. This money would pay for things like groceries, rent and clothing and help small businesses who sell these items or collect that rent.
North Carolina cannot wait any longer for the legislature to do what they should have done more than a month ago. Today, I am issuing an executive order extending federal unemployment benefits to these 47,000 North Carolinians. Republican leaders in the General Assembly have been unwilling to take the necessary steps to extend these benefits, and no doubt they will attempt to interfere with this action. But I, for one, believe these people are entitled to and need these federal funds, and the Republican-controlled legislature needs to stop using the unemployed as pawns.”

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

NC benefits restored for NC on EB Empty Re: NC benefits restored for NC on EB

Post by jayceearnold76 Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 am

Where was this FIVE WEEKS AGO?

jayceearnold76
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:14 pm

My theory is that yesterday's spike in the unemployment rate gave Governor Perdue political cover.....that she's wanted to issue the Executive Order for some time.....but in early May the unemployment rate went down a bit so she would've been severely attacked by Repubs in her state legislature for going over their heads to help the 'lazy' jobless. Yesterday with all the talk in the media (& even on Fox) about how terrible the unemployment situation is.....she's now on much stronger ground in issuing the order. Sorry I know that info doesn't help the thousands who suffered from the unjust delay & are still suffering since NC won't finally start issuing the EB payments till next week. However help is at last on the way. Grats you guyz.

Wonder what's happening with EB in Tennessee.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down