Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Cspan_live_play-1

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered

+6
requete'
concernedinKY
elvis44102
Exhausted99er
mj
Phillymg
10 posters

Go down

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Empty CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered

Post by Phillymg Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Did anyone see the CBS Evening News yesterday Sunday 6/5/11??

They reported briefly--
1 million of the long-term unemployed have now run out of unemployment benefits.
They followed that with a brief interview with a 99er who's been actively seeking work for over 2 years & is still hopefully seeking a job. I didn't catch the exhaustee's name but what he said was great.

Does anyone have the video link??

-----

PS--
Wonder where CBS came up with that '1 million' figure for how many Americans have exhausted their UI benefits since March 2010.....that's quite a low estimate since last fall NELP said 3.9 million exhausted in 2010 & the WH report said another 4.0 million will exhaust in 2011. Maybe CBS meant that many exhaustees won't qualify for more weeks due to having found jobs/died/retired/got disabled/went to college/etc. In that case maybe only '1 million' of the total exhaustees are still without jobs......but I don't know how CBS would know how many exhaustees remain unemployed.....& besides that isn't what they said. Nevertheless even if CBS picked the number '1 million' out of thin air.....it's still great they gave the 99ers coverage.

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered 618340

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Empty Re: CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered

Post by mj Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 pm

You can google CBS evening news June 6th, 2011 it opens up CBS evening news page scroll down about half way & you will come to the unemployed story there is a video link ~ I just watched it! It is interesting! Hope this helps. Oh it feels good to be back UFF well I think you know what I mean ~ I wish I was working but good to be back to almost normal ~ wahoooooooo almost there~
mj
mj
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Human Resources

Back to top Go down

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered Empty Re: CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered

Post by Exhausted99er Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Phillymg wrote:Did anyone see the CBS Evening News yesterday Sunday 6/5/11??

They reported briefly--
1 million of the long-term unemployed have now run out of unemployment benefits.
They followed that with a brief interview with a 99er who's been actively seeking work for over 2 years & is still hopefully seeking a job. I didn't catch the exhaustee's name but what he said was great.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/05/eveningnews/main20069136.shtml#ixzz1OSkNnasG

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm

! million seems waaay under the actual amount....at this point ANY reporting is good...
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 am

I hate to say it, because it's horrible news overall, but the May numbers being so bad? Might be one of the best things that could have happened. At least they can't hide the truth as effectively now. I've seen more stories in 'main stream' sources about the unemployment crisis in the past two days than I have in months. Falling backwards hard like this may be what it takes to get the ball rolling forward again. When the numbers are so bad they can't hide it or make excuses, they'll have no choice but to do something about it lest they want a revolution.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:26 am

Exhausted99er wrote:
Phillymg wrote:Does anyone have the video link??
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/05/eveningnews/main20069136.shtml#ixzz1OSkNnasG

Many thanx Exhausted99er.....the CBS transcript is more moving than I remembered from the live CBN News report.....hopefully someone can give us some quotes. That homeless 99er is a really brave soul to put himself out there & speak up for all of the unemployed & underemployed American workers. I'm glad he is so positive.....he gives the rest of us a guiding hand even tho he himself is living on the very edge of society. I won't type his name since what he needs is a job not 15 minutes of useless fame. Anyone who wants to help that man can find his name in the link you posted. I will pray for him. He deserves our prayers. Like a Star @ heaven

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by requete' Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:26 am

Viva la Revolucion ! CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered 320446
requete'
requete'
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Long Term Unemployed - 99er- now Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:07 am

concernedinKY wrote:I hate to say it, because it's horrible news overall, but the May numbers being so bad? Might be one of the best things that could have happened. At least they can't hide the truth as effectively now. I've seen more stories in 'main stream' sources about the unemployment crisis in the past two days than I have in months. Falling backwards hard like this may be what it takes to get the ball rolling forward again. When the numbers are so bad they can't hide it or make excuses, they'll have no choice but to do something about it lest they want a revolution.
Understand your frustration CIK as I feel same. In the last two days Mitt Romney & Rick Santorum admitted that *there is a jobs crisis*. Up to now Republicans have been all about 'there are plenty of jobs you lazy bums.'

Fox News has been running as fast as it can away from the unemployment issue. They're covering anything they can besides joblessness. Heraldo Rivera is assigned to the Casey Anthony trial & forbidden from using his term 'Fun-Employment'.

Just wait till June's job numbers come out in early July. It won't be pretty. Revolution?? I don't think so. We had our Revolution in 1776. The US has a working Constitution. We have a tripartate government. We just have to *use* it by *VOTING*. The citizens who didn't vote in Nov. 2010 punished themselves & all ordinary Americans. Let's hope voters show up for their own interests in Nov. 2012.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 am

Phillymg wrote:
concernedinKY wrote:I hate to say it, because it's horrible news overall, but the May numbers being so bad? Might be one of the best things that could have happened. At least they can't hide the truth as effectively now. I've seen more stories in 'main stream' sources about the unemployment crisis in the past two days than I have in months. Falling backwards hard like this may be what it takes to get the ball rolling forward again. When the numbers are so bad they can't hide it or make excuses, they'll have no choice but to do something about it lest they want a revolution.
Understand your frustration CIK as I feel same. In the last two days Mitt Romney & Rick Santorum admitted that *there is a jobs crisis*. Up to now Republicans have been all about 'there are plenty of jobs you lazy bums.'

Fox News has been running as fast as it can away from the unemployment issue. They're covering anything they can besides joblessness. Heraldo Rivera is assigned to the Casey Anthony trial & forbidden from using his term 'Fun-Employment'.

Just wait till June's job numbers come out in early July. It won't be pretty. Revolution?? I don't think so. We had our Revolution in 1776. The US has a working Constitution. We have a tripartate government. We just have to *use* it by *VOTING*. The citizens who didn't vote in Nov. 2010 punished themselves & all ordinary Americans. Let's hope voters show up for their own interests in Nov. 2012.

Yeah, NoVo was a very ignorant (in the literal sense of the word if not the derogatory) move. I voted. I, by no means, condone violence. But Janis Joplin sang it best, 'Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose'. How long will it really be before we see violence in the streets because desperate folks find themselves free of their former moral compasses on such things because they, literally, have nothing left to lose? Non-violent crime is climbing at an alarming rate here in my area, with things like 'car hopping' and small businesses being broken into becoming a rampant problem and I believe it's because people are just that desperate. KY's unemployment rate has been 10 percent or better for a very long time.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 am

requete' wrote:Viva la Revolucion ! CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered 320446
Goshdarnit after my rational response to CIK but then reading your post all I can say is

AMEN Requete.....you are so right on!!

2012 is a long long way away......too friggin long.....our forefathers left us a legacy

(not the teabag version--an actual Democratic legacy)

American voters can recall politicians.....& it's already underway in WISCONSIN. Like a Star @ heaven

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 am

Good point, concerned. I agree.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 am

concernedinKY wrote:KY's unemployment rate has been 10 percent or better for a very long time.
CIK--I do worry about the resurgence (or continuation) of the chain-gang mentality. The privatization of prisons & expansion of prisons due to privatization profit motive. Poor whites, blacks, & Mexicans tossed into prison because the government pays a corporation $150/day per prisoner but the company pays only $24/day in actual costs raking in a profit of $124/day per prisoner. I don't know any specific data.....just giving a hypothetical example. When the govt controls a prison it usually collects twice the cost of actually keeping the inmate contained--to cover administrative costs etc. Takeover by the private sector (mysyteriously) causes the 'extra' costs to multiply. Back in the day.....'chain gang' prisoners were 'lent out' to local farms, municipalities, & factories as unpaid or minimally paid labor.....Paul Newman & George Kennedy starred in a movie about that subject. Young folks today don't know how bad it was. Or how bad it could be again. During the Civil Rights Movement people died to ensure the Constitutional Rights of every US citizen. To travel freely. To have a safe place to live. To have one's children educated. To use public restrooms. To vote.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 am

truth wrote:
Good point, concerned. I agree.
Fox News execs are pushing to cover any topic but unemployment. They prefer to complain about 'lazy unemployed people' but real jobs statistics hit them in the head. Hopefully God will have a 'come to Jesus meeting' with them.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stcfarms Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:30 am

By the year 2046 half of all Americans will be in prison, on parole or
probation. This is not from a science fiction novel, it is taken from the
department of justice figures. Our government has declared war on the
citizens of America. Where will we house all of the cell phone owners,
people that refuse to wear helmets, fat people? These are all groups coming
under pressure from the fed to change. The Declaration of Independence
gaurentees the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This
last right brings into question a number of laws already on the books, laws
against prostitution, gambling, drugs, public drinking, public nudity, not
wearing seat belts the list is endless. Congress has no right to ban
behavior because they find it offensive, they only have the right to ban
behavior that harms others. Fortunately for us congress has only chosen to
ignore one major right that is in the Declaration of Independence, the right
to fire their ciminal asses. It clearly states that if the government does
not serve the needs of the people that they have the right to replace it. I
think it is time to do that before we are all in prison.

stcfarms
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Phillymg wrote:Did anyone see the CBS Evening News yesterday Sunday 6/5/11??

They reported briefly--

-----

PS--
Wonder where CBS came up with that '1 million' figure for how many Americans have exhausted their UI benefits since March 2010.....that's quite a low estimate since last fall NELP said 3.9 million exhausted in 2010 & the WH report said another 4.0 million will exhaust in 2011. Maybe CBS meant that many exhaustees won't qualify for more weeks due to having found jobs/died/retired/got disabled/went to college/etc. In that case maybe only '1 million' of the total exhaustees are still without jobs......but I don't know how CBS would know how many exhaustees remain unemployed.....& besides that isn't what they said. Nevertheless even if CBS picked the number '1 million' out of thin air.....it's still great they gave the 99ers coverage.

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered 618340
They're saying 1 million because they don't want the general public to realize how many millions of people are without any income whatsoever so, they won't know how bad things really are. There's probably around 10 million 99ers now since there were at least 800,000 per month losing jobs during the months of late 2008 and early 2009 and there are no jobs anywhere.

Hi Philly! I was gone for a long time. Did the teaching job work out for you? Are you doing okay?
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nuttin2lose Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:29 pm

1 MILLION IS BS WE ALL KNOW THAT

nuttin2lose
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm

nuttin2lose wrote:1 MILLION IS BS WE ALL KNOW THAT
Yep, we knew there was way more than that over a year ago and who knows how many millions more there are now.

CBS Evening News Sunday--99ers Covered 180972
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:45 pm

stcfarms wrote:
citizens of America.
Where will we house all of the cell phone owners,
Yes, they certainly have declared war on us and they are doing it on behalf of their owners, the multinational banks and corporations. They must be stopped! I can't believe that most people in this country are so brainwashed by the TV that they don't even realize that our government has been taken over and we are living under fascism. They think because the corporate media tells them that they are free then it means they are. There is no freedom in this country and hasn't been for a very long time.
Sad
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Jen wrote:Hi Philly! I was gone for a long time. Did the teaching job work out for you? Are you doing okay?
Thanx for asking Jen. Cool My p/t temp job (that ends next week) is Hall Monitor. Didn't get picked for the teaching-training program.....who knew people were beating down the doors to become teachers for schools in inner-city Newark NJ?? I kicked around the idea of going to school on my own to become a teacher but it takes too long for a job that doesn't pay well & what with all the cuts to education on the horizon just didn't seem to make sense. So I'm going back to school at night for an MS to try for a job in a nuclear power plant. They're always hiring at decent pay if you have the MS. I got some possible good news this week--on Monday I have an interview for a 6-week temp job as a Summer Camp Counselor. Only $10/hr & no benefits but it's better to work than not to work is my motto.

How are *you* doing?? I was worried about you.....also wonder what happened to Feyth.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 am

stcfarms wrote:
citizens of America. Where will we house all of the cell phone owners,
okay affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down