Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Cspan_live_play-1

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling?

+2
truth
Tara
6 posters

Go down

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Empty Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling?

Post by Tara Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Today, McConnell and Boehner are both in the news busily shifting blame from the Republican Party to Democrats for the GOP holding up a deal on the raising the debt ceiling. I confess, I am partly amused at their posturing because we all know the debt ceiling is going to be raised. I also believe that the majority of us are now understanding that the Republican party is shooting itself in the foot.

What we don't want is any changes to Medicare and/or Social Security. At least, not while the rich and major corporations are enjoying record profits and paying less taxes than ever. Time to let those Bush tax breaks expire.
Since when did "taxes can't be raised" become a mantra for the Republican Party? Oh, why that is in the Bush Administration, wasn't it?

I'm also amused at Republicans saying that now is not the time to raise taxes which is misleading because they are suggesting that everyone is going to pay more taxes and we know that's not true - just the wealthiest in our country may start to pay more of their share.

Twists, turns and blameshifting away from themselves - the GOP is on a roll. In the meantime, New Hamphire defunded Planned Parenthood yesterday. So women who were able to utilize them for cheap birth control ($5.00 for a refill) now have to pay $80-$100. I'm wondering if I'm on the only woman on the board who sees the War that the Republicans are waging on us? Not only are the Republicans against abortion, but they are also against making birth control affordable. Of course, they don't want to assist mothers who can't feed these progeny, because they just cut food stamps and the WIC program.

The Republicans aren't worried about the deficit either. They are interested in waging a social war, a war against the haves and the have nots. They don't want a smaller government. How could they? Its going to take a helluva bureaucracy to drug test those getting public benefits and to make sure that our morals stay in check with the Republican extremists.

I'm also amused that even the economists today are wondering at the Republican position on the debt ceiling.
They just got the chance of a lifetime to reduce Government Programs in exhange for increasing taxes on the wealthy. They rejected it, of course. I wonder when people are going to realize that its NOT about the debt ceiling?

Last edited by Tara on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling, always spelling)

Tara
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Empty Re: Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling?

Post by truth Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm

The debt has been a bogus "emergency" from the start. Anyone who has taken even an elementary economics class knows that the federal government is not like Greece, California, or a household. The real emergency is the dismal jobs situation. I would like to know how slashing government programs is going to solve that problem. It seems to me that such cuts will instread reduce aggregate demand and add to the ranks of the unemployed.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? Empty Re: Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling?

Post by gigichicago Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm

It's all a political game to waste time and I'm sick of it! Instead of helping the unemployed and boasting our economy, they just like pointing fingers and playing childish games. Their aim is to destroy our country. Well I'm sick of it!

Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? 183394 Anybody besides me getting tired of Republican posturing on the debt ceiling? 976458
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:46 pm

There was absolutely no fiscal reason for the Republicans to sidetrack the routine lifting of the debt ceiling (it was done quietly 7 times in the GW Bush years IIRC) by demanding a major long-term debt reduction plan as a pre-condition. They are entirely separate issues. The full faith and credit of the federal government should not be held hostage in order to engage in right wing extreme social engineering (citing Newt on this).

We saw this same tactic when the GOP held the unemployed hostage so that the top 3% could keep their precious continued tax cuts, cuts that were supposed to help the "job creators". How did that GOP job creation plan work out?

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution says, "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/03/john-cornyn-14th-amendment-debt-limit-crazy_n_889401.html

I would love to hit those henny-penny teapartiers over the head with the constitution, and have them explain how a literal word for word
exerpt from it does not say what it does say...duh!!!
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Republican reasoning is to use any item they possibly can to undermine, derail and defeat President Obama.

The tax cuts aren't working. We need the revenue. Republicans seem to think that a balanced budget should only entail program cuts; not revenue increase. As you say, truth, the GOP believes the tax cuts are precious. So precious that they would rather focus on cutting programs to senior citizens and low income Americans. The fact is many of the tax benefits that the wealthy are currently enjoying are unnecessary. So, let's break the backs of the poor in order for some rich person to continue claiming his yacht as a mortage write off.

McConnell actually said today that there can't be progress as long as President Obama is in office. McConnell is obviously more interested on making political statements that are anti-Obama than he is interested in the faith and credit of the United States Government.

Tara
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 pm

The Republicans are waving the white flag, stay tuned. They are just going to raise the debt ceiling. Perhaps they will let us do it with our Home Equity loans to save our houses.

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down