Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Cspan_live_play-1

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile

4 posters

Go down

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Empty FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile

Post by Angelika Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:09 pm

I loathe spreading bad news. I'm sorry in advance. Rolling Eyes

This is strictly FYI as America changes:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/111881/careers-headed-for-the-trash-pile
Angelika
Angelika
Premium Poster

http://www.Di-Dio.com

Back to top Go down

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Empty Re: FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile

Post by new_wave_princess Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Yep, goodbye decent jobs hello part time low paying!
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile Empty Re: FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile

Post by js123 Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:20 pm

My job as legal word processor has disappeared many years ago. I have been trying to get a job as a secretary but looks like that job will disappear soon. It is sad but true. Our advanced technology and greedy companies made it easy for companies to hire less and overwork the people they have. This means more money for them and more money on CEO's bonuses.
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:26 pm

js123 wrote:My job as legal word processor has disappeared many years ago. I have been trying to get a job as a secretary but looks like that job will disappear soon. It is sad but true. Our advanced technology and greedy companies made it easy for companies to hire less and overwork the people they have. This means more money for them and more money on CEO's bonuses.

I'm seeing a lot of this with regards to secretarial jobs: Basically hiring someone to do several jobs including admin work. I'm generally a pr/marketing/training person but in many interviews I'm asked my typing skills along with filing.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 pm

new_wave_princess wrote:
js123 wrote:My job as legal word processor has disappeared many years ago. I have been trying to get a job as a secretary but looks like that job will disappear soon. It is sad but true. Our advanced technology and greedy companies made it easy for companies to hire less and overwork the people they have. This means more money for them and more money on CEO's bonuses.

I'm seeing a lot of this with regards to secretarial jobs: Basically hiring someone to do several jobs including admin work. I'm generally a pr/marketing/training person but in many interviews I'm asked my typing skills along with filing.

NWP:

Where are you located? I had the same experience back in 2007--2009 re: secretarial jobs. Here in FL, they were making the Bookkeepers and Accountants answer the phones and doing the secretarial work! And, they had to avide by their rules, or they would have been "out the door".

The Bookkeepers/Accountants I know DO NOT and CAN NOT answer phones while working with numbers!!! Secretaries and Admin Assistants were doing the Receptionist work plus their work... and/ or their position just got eliminated.

So, long story short, thankfully, separate Receptionist jobs are popping back up again...totally surprises me! So, here in my small town, a few Receptionists, and Admin Assistants are able to find those jobs again, but unfortunately, only Part-time....
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:45 pm

jj wrote:NWP:

Where are you located? I had the same experience back in 2007--2009 re: secretarial jobs. Here in FL, they were making the Bookkeepers and Accountants answer the phones and doing the secretarial work! And, they had to avide by their rules, or they would have been "out the door".

The Bookkeepers/Accountants I know DO NOT and CAN NOT answer phones while working with numbers!!! Secretaries and Admin Assistants were doing the Receptionist work plus their work... and/ or their position just got eliminated.

So, long story short, thankfully, separate Receptionist jobs are popping back up again...totally surprises me! So, here in my small town, a few Receptionists, and Admin Assistants are able to find those jobs again, but unfortunately, only Part-time....

I'm near Chicago. I am seeing so many bizarre combos lately, including an admin position that required maintenance and a marketing position that required forklift certification. It's ridiculous because those don't even require the same skills. I was an accountant trainer at my last job, yet sometimes they wanted me to answer the phones and things like that.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:57 pm

new_wave_princess wrote:
jj wrote:NWP:

I'm near Chicago. I am seeing so many bizarre combos lately, including an admin position that required maintenance and a marketing position that required forklift certification. It's ridiculous because those don't even require the same skills. I was an accountant trainer at my last job, yet sometimes they wanted me to answer the phones and things like that.

I see...you live in a big city, and I live in a small town. There's the difference. At least here, like I said, we have Receptionist jobs coming back, Admin Asst jobs. But every job is Part-time. I am an Office Manager now, and it is only Part-time.
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:01 pm

My immediate area is all part time $10 hour jobs, but I'm starting to see the downtown jobs come back. Even though it's almost an hour away the jobs are worth it (and I plan to move closer to the city).
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:02 pm

new_wave_princess wrote:My immediate area is all part time $10 hour jobs, but I'm starting to see the downtown jobs come back. Even though it's almost an hour away the jobs are worth it (and I plan to move closer to the city).

FORBES: Careers Heading For The Trash Pile 204917
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down