Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Debate it! Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Debate it! Cspan_live_play-1

Debate it! Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Debate it!

+12
mrgolf
nuttin2lose
wowwhathappen
MaryKayCoyne
unemployed2long/1208
Patriot
Tresa
lendmeflight2
Sunrise
Riled American
waynedsr
concernedinKY
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Debate it! Empty Debate it!

Post by concernedinKY Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Why you do or do not think this bill will pass.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Debate it! Empty Re: Debate it!

Post by waynedsr Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 pm

The only thing that will hold up this bill is my wonderful republican party. Yes, I am a registered republican and my party has turned their back on me and all the other 99ers. Their ears are closed, all they seem to want to do is stop the Healthcare bill and cut cut cut. I thought they were listening in November, but they weren't. Business as usual.
IF we can get some republicans supporting this bill it could happen. I am sending faxes to all my state republicans in hopes they will listen.
I will not support this party in the future if they simply do not help. I'm actually fed up with BOTH parties to tell you the truth!
waynedsr
waynedsr
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Running, Amateur Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

This Bill will pass if we get the support we need from the GOP. Over and over we heard it needs to be paid for. This Bill will be paid for if need be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:42 pm

I am having a hard time believing that it wont pass. i know it wont be easy, in fact i would faint if it passed with no problem lol
I think it will pass because there are too many 99ers now (and more to come)
for them to ignore this any longer. Also because there is a way to pay for it if they have to. we also have more publicity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Riled American Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

We gotta have faith. Today's been pretty rough. I was feeling kinda lost for awhile. It took long enough to find UFF as it was and I was on my own sending letters. The UFF gave so much more insight on issues. TY CIK for all you do! Debate it! 618340
Riled American
Riled American
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Unemployed_Mass wrote:I am having a hard time believing that it wont pass. i know it wont be easy, in fact i would faint if it passed with no problem lol
for them to ignore this any longer. Also because there is a way to pay for it if they have to. we also have more publicity.

According to what I have read, there is just about 1.4 million exhaustees. We all know of course that there are probably more like 3-4 million.

4 million people without ANY safety net sounds a lot more like an emergency than 1.4 million. If I recall correctly, the bill is to be paid with Emergency Funding. We've been down that road before with the Republicans - and that was a very rocky road.

I honestly don't know if it will pass. silent Hopeful, all the same.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Riled American/thomas_mg3 wrote:We gotta have faith. Today's been pretty rough. I was feeling kinda lost for awhile. It took long enough to find UFF as it was and I was on my own sending letters. The UFF gave so much more insight on issues. TY CIK for all you do! Debate it! 618340

I am glad we are all finding our way to this new site! I dont know what I would do with out you all. Debate it! 829996

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am

waynedsr wrote:The only thing that will hold up this bill is my wonderful republican party. Yes, I am a registered republican and my party has turned their back on me and all the other 99ers. Their ears are closed, all they seem to want to do is stop the Healthcare bill and cut cut cut. I thought they were listening in November, but they weren't. Business as usual.
IF we can get some republicans supporting this bill it could happen. I am sending faxes to all my state republicans in hopes they will listen.
I will not support this party in the future if they simply do not help. I'm actually fed up with BOTH parties to tell you the truth!

We all are at this point. The republicans of today are unlike any in history. Eisenhower was a real republican, if the ones from today were like that we would have a great nation again.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tresa Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am

Sadly, more 99ers every week.

99er since June '10!!

Glad to be here!!
Tresa
Tresa
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Bite Training My Pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Patriot Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 pm

The Bill will pass if ALL of the unemployed work together as ONE and not be against one another as it was when the 99ers were kicked out of HR 4213. The media will showcase the 99ers advocacy every now and then but until our numbers grow and involvement grows, then those asses in Washington would not recognize the 99ers and those fighting with them as a FORCE to be reckoned with.
Patriot
Patriot
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Unemployed_Mass wrote:I am having a hard time believing that it wont pass. i know it wont be easy, in fact i would faint if it passed with no problem lol

According to what I have read, there is just about 1.4 million exhaustees. We all know of course that there are probably more like 3-4 million.

4 million people without ANY safety net sounds a lot more like an emergency than 1.4 million. If I recall correctly, the bill is to be paid with Emergency Funding. We've been down that road before with the Republicans - and that was a very rocky road.

I honestly don't know if it will pass. silent Hopeful, all the same.

There was an article this week that pointed out there were 3.4 million exhaustees in 2010.. Thats getting closer.
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 pm

I am hoping that it will be maybe a 50/50% chance of passing! Sorry, but keeping things in a perspective! You have to keep the repubs. stance in the picture! And 50/50% is very optimistic! Who knows.!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKayCoyne Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:44 pm

We are all hoping that it passes and for the moral reason that we keep getting "fiscal responsibility" shoved down our throats. Well, in addition to advocating for HR589, let's advocate for the JOBS. The Top Two got their cuts along with a really nice bonus for the Estate Tax, well, the magic button has not been pressed, where are the jobs that were to be created with the passage of that bill. There is not doubt in my mind that we need to cut and those cuts need to be fair and not just affect the needy, poor and jobless. They are not just medical either. WASTE!!!!, WE, seem to have lots of it. We also, need a jobs program, that requires our legislature working with small and large banks, small and large corporations, Universities and Community Colleges to round table areas of need, education required, financial obligations to meet those needs and training a viable workforce of all ages. There are many unemployed who already meet many of these qualifications, but HR depts are too overwhelmed to constantly search resumes for qualified applicants. We need a program where all unemployed workers are divided into their respective fields, determine what if any retraining is required, where it would be best for them to retrain, extend them money to do it with a partnering corporation who would pay for that education if they maintained a B average and a guaranteed position at the end of the education or a co-op type of position while they are training. It could be a win/win all the way around. The program would have to include ALL the unemployed, benefits would be extended as long as the unemployed are registered with a school/company and it has an expiration date. If you drop out, or don't maintain you end of the bargain, you're out. It ends the debate over our laziness and the lack of motivation, it encourages banks to lend, companies to expand and hire. It's not brain surgery, we need roads, bridges, green technologies, medical health professionals at the technical and administrative level, municipal and city employees at the "green level". Commercial and multi-family properties need to be brought to a real code level, not a grandfathered in code that costs money to maintain, they need to be a level of safety where gas and electric are at safe levels, efficient (which is key). If many companies and owners stopped bitching and starting really looking at how much more efficiently and cost effectively they could run their operations instead of worrying about taxes they could hire and expand with those saving alone. All of these things create jobs, not tax cuts for the top 2. If we issued tax cuts to employers and schools to update, retrain and hire instead of a blanket tax exemption, it puts people back to work. We, the unemployed Americans have seriously learned how to live at poverty levels, which means that we know where and how to cut, save and be smart. We have learned what's really important and what's not. Kind of think it's time for everyone else to wake up and realize it too. If cuts are to be made, they have to be made across the board, for everyone!!!! Oil companies, governments, Wall Street, the top 2%, Estates. We think tax cutting will get us out of this, not going to happen, Federal and State taxes enable much needed programs to continue, especially at a time like this. Millions of people will suddenly get noticed when the housing market collapses again and when rental properties sit empty for years. Food is going up, gas is going up, everything is going up. When the unemployed stop purchasing even the basics, wait and see how fast it goes up.

So, now that I have ranted, I will say, this bill has to pass because we have given them the tax cuts and the jobs are not there, so what is the Republican answer to this situation and why, why are the Democrats not answering this question. Scare tactics, that's all we get. The State of the Union response would make most American's suicidal, is that who we want running our country. Just for kicks on Thurs/Fri while I was emailing I tuned in to the comedy know as CPAC. Looks to me like the Republican Party is turning into an Amway Convention, not one speech containing getting the country back to work, creating jobs, retraining or education. Same old song, repeal Healthcare, question where the Pres. was born, yadda, yadda, yadda. Why are the democrats not calling them out on the hypocracy that is "fiscally conservative". It only works when you get exactly what you want which is money for those who really don't need it. I think when you have a balanced budget, the unemployment rate is 2% and everyone is thriving not "surviving" you give tax cuts to all, otherwise, you put your nose to the ground and roll up your sleeves and start figuring out ways to create jobs and make things right here in the US and sell them here as well and export them.

MaryKayCoyne
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Unemployed Operations Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by wowwhathappen Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

I would love to see the bill pass
i need help like you all do
i have 2 degrees, tons of background and get no call backs

do I think the bill will pass?............no
the REPUBS do not see us as people
give me a reason not to be so down
tell me something I do not know....PLEASE

wowwhathappen
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:I am hoping that it will be maybe a 50/50% chance of passing! Sorry, but keeping things in a perspective! You have to keep the repubs. stance in the picture! And 50/50% is very optimistic! Who knows.!

This is a debate it! And well now I am much less optimistic. hopes and even numbers of supporters is very encouraging thats the positives. But realities is now If they are fighting everything on the table that is spending and more there is little chance of passage also even though there over 60 sponsors of the bill there are some dems. not going to vote for it and many (all) repubs.

Oh! As I type this Obama is on a conference and saying families are going to have to cut back in their budgets and more I am not going to get into. But not looking good, but still hoping however!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nuttin2lose Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I believe it will happen. However with no movement expected this week, and the House off next week, now many more simply can not hang on until it does?

nuttin2lose
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:25 pm

nuttin2lose wrote:I believe it will happen. However with no movement expected this week, and the House off next week, now many more simply can not hang on until it does?

Next week is their District Work Session. We should all go to their home offices to show them we are real people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Listening to the President speaking now, sounds like he doesnt want to do anything to help!

Back to top Go down

Post by nuttin2lose Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 pm

He just said he feels the pain of those who are struggling. Oh for the good old days when I was just struggling!!

nuttin2lose
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm

I sure hope that the strategy they have is going to work. The powers that be know a lot more about the ins and outs of Washington DC than I do. Having said that here is how I would have done it.

I would have gone to a Republican Congressperson in a district with high unemployment and a large number of exhaustees and asked them to co-author the bill. I would have asked what needs to be done to get this bill passed. Before the bill was introduced I would have lined up co-sponsors from the Democrat and Republican parties.

Any bill needs bi-partisan in order to pass. I am just hoping that HR589 doesn't die on the vine because it couldn't get Republican support. The Republicans have made it pretty clear that any help for the 99ers must be paid for. If it were me I would have introduced a bill that was paid for.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am going to contine to send emails and make phone calls to my reps and the Ways and Means Committee.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Can we find 1 republican who is on board with this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm

laramel wrote:Can we find 1 republican who is on board with this?

If we keep nagging I believe we will! We can't let up, even next week when they are in their home districts. Hound them there!

Debate it! 987247

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
laramel wrote:Can we find 1 republican who is on board with this?

If we keep nagging I believe we will! We can't let up, even next week when they are in their home districts. Hound them there!

Debate it! 987247

I would love to get in their face!

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:01 pm

I am hoping that this bill will pass but we are going to need republican support.
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 pm

KeeptheFaith wrote:I am hoping that this bill will pass but we are going to need republican support.

http://www.speaker.gov/Contact/

or

http://twitter.com/#!/SpeakerBoehner

Contact the Speaker by tweet, email, fax or phone today. Ask him to bring the bill to the floor. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next