Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

If You Have to Move Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
If You Have to Move Cspan_live_play-1

If You Have to Move Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

If You Have to Move

+2
kellylee123
Angelika
6 posters

Go down

If You Have to Move Empty If You Have to Move

Post by Angelika Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:35 am

Hello Friends ~

Since I recently went through a stressful move -- you know the pack up and get out before (or after) eviction notices -- I have some learning lessons I thought I would share to help those that had no or very little money to move like I did.

If you know you're going to be out in the next few weeks, cash is everything and the most difficult to get. And as difficult as that is, try to find the strength to face the trauma while still taking care of yourself, your family, your pets.

I cried a lot of tears over the loss of my lake house rental and only now I'm realizing how some things kicked in on some kind of autopilot survival mechanism. Lord knows how it all happened Suspect But it did and this is what I remember:

#1 -- Have Moving Sales -- People buy what you're selling. Even if you price all your stuff at $10 and under you'll be amazed at the hundreds you can have at the end of the day. Don't assume your stuff is junk. Have 2 or 3 moving sales if you have to and then donate what's left. Don't pack it and waste the money on a larger rental truck or storage bin.

It's more difficult for us snow states so people around here have indoor tag sales every weekend. These moving/tag/garage sales are posted all the time on Craigslist. People look for something to do on the weekends. I know. I'm a tag sale junky so I know I can replace just about everything I've ever bought. Some great pieces included.

If you don't know how to price things, don't. I left prices off a lot of things and asked them what they thought. I actually sold quite a few things for more money than I would have asked. You can also start a little higher and if they put it down, ask them to give you a number. Try to take out your emotional attachment as difficult as that is and get them to take it with them!

#2 -- If you just can't donate or under sell something you know is of better value, take a pic of it and post it on Craigs under the appropriate "For Sale" category. Also, in Craigs is the tab for "Wanted" -- Search around in there. I got rid of an old faded sofa ($100) & 13 year old Futon ($50) I thought for sure was going to the dump.

Goodwill doesn't take everything that has what they think is damaged or outdated like older TVs or furniture with a tear or cat clawed. They take ZERO exercise equipment because of liability. Try to get money for it first! Heck, you spent money probably to get it might as well put something back in your pocket.

#3 -- Join www.Freecycle.org to give and receive all kinds of things FREE. I'm a member of 4 surrounding towns. You can also check the "Free" tab under For Sale in Craigs.

Around here we have to pay dump fees to dispose of anything other than household trash. We have to take things like older TVs, mattresses, furniture, appliances, etc. to the dump & pay according to what it is. And need a truck to haul it & some muscle power. I give Freecycle a shot first and the person that wants what you have comes to pick it up. It's free but its gone -- to someone else that needs it.

#4 -- Pets -- On Freecycle you can also post your beloved pets to find good homes instead of the shelters. This is very sad and heartbreaking I know but there are willing, loving people to help you. You can't post pets on Craigslist. I don't know why but thank goodness you can on Freecycle if you can't find friends or family.

I still have my 2 cats with me but here at the apartment was an adorable stray kitten I couldn't take in. I put him up on Freecycle in one day and he had a home by that night. He actually had a home within an hour but she came to get him after work. She took him to the vet, he was healthy and just this past week ... neutered. He's in a good place.

#5 -- Rental trucks -- I found U-haul best price for local moves on the $19.99 trucks or van. Budget has online coupon codes if you're leaving the state 1 way. You can go to the post office and pick up a Change of Address packet for a Budget discount flyer inside or search the internet "Budget 25% Coupon Code". This is a pretty huge savings for long distance.

Book your Budget truck online & enter the code. Your card will not be charged until you pick up your truck. Same with U-haul, altho no coupon codes for them that I could find. Book your truck in advance, too. So, so many people moving these days every weekend is busy instead of around the 1st and 15th.

Both places are cheaper to rent trucks on weekdays -- on cents per mile and truck itself. Crazy, but U-haul will charge an extra fee to sweep it out so try to keep a broom handy at the end of the day.

Book your truck online for sure. It is cheaper than going in to the store or calling them, unless you're just getting the $19.99 from U-haul. Not a lot of savings there unless a weekday move.

You don't have to rent moving pads. We kept out sheets and blankets to serve this purpose and they all washed up perfectly.

#6 -- Moving Boxes -- I got some of the best boxes from a local auto body repair place. They have separate cardboard bins so they were clean, sturdy and unusual sizes. The floral department from the grocery store had amazing cardboard too. I got so excited! Ask what their delivery schedule is.

But if you have a few weeks notice, keep checking Craigslist Free section and Freecycle for moving box giveaways. I see them posted there every other day for my state and almost all of them include that fancy bubble wrap and wrapping paper people paid for. Post your own "Wanted" ad on Craigs, too for boxes.

I think the moral of my survival story is that everything is replaceable until better times. Your well being and that of your family's is of utmost importance and I hope this helps in your time of need. If you have any questions for any details, I welcome PMs!

Love and blessings... I love you

~ Angelika

Last edited by Angelika on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Angelika
Angelika
Premium Poster

http://www.Di-Dio.com

Back to top Go down

If You Have to Move Empty Re: If You Have to Move

Post by kellylee123 Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 am

thank you......i think the stress of just doing the actual move is getting to me..i know ill be ok when its done just getting between now n then is making me insane..questioning myself n whats best for us as a family..ive been all about my moving untill now when its really about to happen...change is always scary
kellylee123
kellylee123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:56 am

Angelika:

Excellent post!

Thanks! sunny
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Thank you for the informative post!
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelika Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:42 pm

kellylee123 wrote:thank you......i think the stress of just doing the actual move is getting to me..i know ill be ok when its done just getting between now n then is making me insane..questioning myself n whats best for us as a family..ive been all about my moving untill now when its really about to happen...change is always scary

I was petrified kellylee! Mentally I was packing, telling myself I could do it. But I loved that place soooo much I was emotionally fatigued. I would start boxes and boxes half full, walking in a daze. You find the strength somewhere through God.

My landlord husband was calling every day, sometimes twice a day for updates. They live out of state and were really trying not to spend the money on eviction. We really did like each other but I owed them 4 months rent by the time I returned from 3 weeks for a family funeral. I understood their need, too.

My daughter and I didn't have money all at once for a rental truck & storage. I hadn't moved since my early 20's without big strong moving men. The physical exertion actually helped my emotional state. Not enough hours in the day to sit and cry and get to storage and get the truck back without more money.

First storage was a friend's garage for 3 months. So we had to rent and pack a 2nd truck to get into a paid-for storage, unpack there.

In Jan we found this place so again, rental truck, take things out of storage, load the truck, empty the truck, sort here what didn't fit, back to storage using our SUV, several trips. This apartment is smaller than the house, so we still have to store.

Geesh, the work has been endless.

I just want to rest a little. We've been here one month. I may have another moving sale soon enough but that means another truck to bring it from storage. I don't know. A day at a time...

It sounds like you have children? How are they doing? I think the safety of awaiting family will help you tremendously. I think you said you're moving to your mom's?
Angelika
Angelika
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kellylee123 Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

i have no children jeff has a 10 year old that lives with childs mother,we have been together for over 6 years...just us n the dog..which i wil never leave i would rather cut a limb off...i have family in florida .jeff doesnt. i know all will be ok but i just dont wanna end up in same situation we r in here which is in no ones control both unemployeed...everything will be ok in the end if its not ok its not the end...ive used that saying for many years n has always helped me through...i just need to get to that mentally in my head
kellylee123
kellylee123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelika Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 pm

kellylee123 wrote:i have no children jeff has a 10 year old that lives with childs mother,we have been together for over 6 years...just us n the dog..which i wil never leave i would rather cut a limb off...i have family in florida .jeff doesnt. i know all will be ok but i just dont wanna end up in same situation we r in here which is in no ones control both unemployeed...everything will be ok in the end if its not ok its not the end...ive used that saying for many years n has always helped me through...i just need to get to that mentally in my head

Oh yes, keep the pet. We'd really be nutso without their unconditional love and affection.

As far as the move, it's all a journey we're on right now because I really believe this is a huge change America is going through that will alter it forever. Much like 9/11 changed the NY skyline forever, there's no going back or stopping what's about to take place. I know it's a horrible correlation but something is afoot and I'm trying my damndest to have a positive attitude about it. Neutral I'm ready for the clouds to part and present my new life.
Angelika
Angelika
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Patriot Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 pm

@Angelika: Couldn't agree with you more! As has been said before that America is heading towards a precipice!
Patriot
Patriot
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tresa Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Thank you for the post, info,
my future also!

But not losing the dog, I like an adventure!
Tresa
Tresa
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Bite Training My Pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down