Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Cspan_live_play-1

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

+20
Mags
flowergirl
Kathy
TomW
stilllooking
mrmarti
Phillymg
Kat
js123
njcookies
UPCHITCREEK
unemployed2long/1208
Jen
KeeptheFaith
JaneWI
503Depressed
mrgolf
Sad American
Sunrise
Quiethawk
24 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by js123 Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:18 pm

The Japanese government doesn't want the public to panic but they should. It does not look good.

Does anyone know how it will affect other countries beside Japan? I know the land around the reactors will be useless. But, what will happen to Japan?
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 76367
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 am

Continued prayers for the people of Japan Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 443306

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 pm

js123 wrote:The Japanese government doesn't want the public to panic but they should. It does not look good.

Does anyone know how it will affect other countries beside Japan? I know the land around the reactors will be useless. But, what will happen to Japan?
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 76367
I do not want to be an alarmist but worst case scenerio the radioactive cloud could travel thousands of miles.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 pm

My sister lives in a town called Becker, Mn. were there is a Nuclear Power Plant that has had no incidents. In her town there are many many people coming up with different types of cancers effecting children at a very high rate & adults in their late 30's early 40's at a very high rate. They have been able to track chemicals from that specific plant all the way to Alaska.
I believe absolutely nothing that any gov't says about the effects of this, because I don't think they have a clue, and if they did I'm sure they wouldn't tell the truth anyway.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Taking care of my dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by njcookies Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Prayers for the victims in Japan. Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 443306

njcookies
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : Cat Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:21 pm

http://gizmodo.com/#!5781566/this-is-the-scariest-first+person-video-of-the-japan-tsunami-yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Why is there no looting

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:Why is there no looting

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Speaks volumes of their cultural upbringing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

knarf wrote:

Yes it does, Knarf.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 pm

knarf wrote:

Amazing isn't it?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm

mrgolf wrote:
knarf wrote:

Amazing isn't it?

I was shocked when I read it. I really have a lot of respect for any culture with those kinds of values.

The looting after Katrina was terrifying, no electricity for miles and no cell phone service made it even more frightening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
mrgolf wrote:
knarf wrote:

Amazing isn't it?

I was shocked when I read it. I really have a lot of respect for any culture with those kinds of values.

The looting after Katrina was terrifying, no electricity for miles and no cell phone service made it even more frightening.
Also, it says the supermarkets are lowering prices instead of raising them and gouging like they would here. What a big difference.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Jen wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:
mrgolf wrote:
knarf wrote:

Amazing isn't it?

Also, it says the supermarkets are lowering prices instead of raising them and gouging like they would here. What a big difference.

An amazing difference. I remember feeling like we were at war with the world. Looters thought the country folk in rural areas would be easy targets, NOT.

Prices went sky high at the few places that were open sixty miles away. Couldn't buy gasoline or get mail for about a month.

A cousin from Arkansas brought my 96 year old grandmother a generator after the storm. We had to take turns sleeping outside in the bed of a pickup with a deer rifle to keep looters from New Orleans from stealing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
Also, it says the supermarkets are lowering prices instead of raising them and gouging like they would here. What a big difference.[/quote]

An amazing difference. I remember feeling like we were at war with the world. Looters thought the country folk in rural areas would be easy targets, NOT.

Prices went sky high at the few places that were open sixty miles away. Couldn't buy gasoline or get mail for about a month.

A cousin from Arkansas brought my 96 year old grandmother a generator after the storm. We had to take turns sleeping outside in the bed of a pickup with a deer rifle to keep looters from New Orleans from stealing it.[/quote]
Must have been a horrifying experience.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Katrina-superdome
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Just heard on CNN that there was a 25 foot wall around one of the nuclear plants to protect against tsunamis. They never expected a 30 foot tsunami
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 Japan%2BTsunami
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I met an American living in Thailand whose 5 year old daughter was swept away in the tsunami in Phuket. Just heard a similar story on CNN
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 7 8.9_Earthquake_Triggers_Tsunami_Off_Japans_Coast
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Mr. 'Expert on Everything in the World' Beck is trying to explain nuclear physics on his show right now. He's using the chalkboard along with pots & pans.

OMG he's decided that the problems with Japan's reactors is no big thing.....instead he's going on & on about 'the bond market'.....

Btw he's announced to anyone who doesn't go along with him--
'You're too dumb to live anyway.'

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Phillymg wrote:Mr. 'Expert on Everything in the World' Beck is trying to explain nuclear physics on his show right now. He's using the chalkboard along with pots & pans.

OMG he's decided that the problems with Japan's reactors is no big thing.....instead he's going on & on about 'the bond market'.....

Btw he's announced to anyone who doesn't go along with him--
'You're too dumb to live anyway.'

I presume that is supposed to be humorous. Shocked scratch I've never seen or heard any of his programs.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:53 pm

'You're too dumb to live anyway' --Glenn Beck 3/14/11

Beck wasn't laughing when he said it.....what's cruel & inhuman is that in the context of a possible nuclear disaster in Japan.....he's basically saying that as far as he's concerned if the Japanese people don't agree with his view that there's nothing to worry about then they should all just die. Men, women, children, babies.....he could care less.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I thought you all might like to read the email message below that I received on Sunday from my cousin Marty, who lives in Sendai and was on the 11th floor of an apartment building at the time of the quake. Some of the news reports make it sound like the entire city of Sendai was destroyed, but I guess it's a rather large city and my cousin apparently lives in a part of town, away from the sea, which was not affected by the tsunamis. He is not native Japanese, but has lived in Japan for many years and has a Japanese wife. He has not had too much luck with earthquakes in Japan -- he lived in Kobe at the time of the big earthquake there in 1995 and a restaurant that he ran there was destroyed. Here is his email:

Thank God we are alive and well, and able to communicate with you now. About 55 hours ago, we thought the end was near.

I was in our home-office in Sendai at 2:46 pm on the 11th when the 4th biggest earthquake (9.0) in history of the world hit. I was sitting in the very spot I am sitting in right now writing to you when the quake hit. My Docomo cell phone earthquake warning went off in my pocket, but almost simultaneously the room started to topple down on me as the walls seemed to
swing at least several feet side to side. I have braces on top of all my cabinets in my office, which are supposed to help in earthquakes, but this big one just blew those away, and when the shaking finally stopped, more than 2 & a half minutes later, I was buried up to above my knees in books, papers, and junk that I had stored in my office. I'm lucky nothing heavy or
sharp hit me in the head. One cabinet behind me that I couldn't reach during the quake, toppled over and blocked the door. It took me about 10 minutes to dig my way out of my office.

Then, when I got out, I really realized that we had experienced the "big one." The hallway was coated with water and lots of glass from a vase of flowers which had crashed, and when I got to the living/dining/kitchen area, I got to see a real mess. The TV and stereo unit had toppled into the room, most of our dishes and glasses had been shaken out of the cabinets and shattered, another vase of flowers was broken into small pieces on the floor, and the violence of the quake had caused the legs on one cabinet (containing dishes and glasses) to snap off, collapse and slide several feet across the floor. Of course, all of Kyoko's favorite glasses and party dishes were history. In the bedroom, Kyoko's desk had broken into many pieces and her new, nice Apple computer had tumbled to the floor and had a large hole in the middle of the monitor, and the room was a complete shambles.

Kyoko at the time was in the northern part of Sendai having a business lunch with a friend, and when the quake hit, the proprietor of the restaurant shouted at all the patrons to rush out to the street, and when Kyoko stumbled out onto the street (cutting her knee in the process) she thought the parked car on the hill above her was shaking so much that it was going
to break lose and run her over.

Fortunately, Kyoko got home about 30 minutes later, and after running up to our 11th floor penthouse and confirming that I had survived and was starting to clean up the broken glass all over the house, she went to collect Vivian from the St. Dominic Elementary School just down the street from us.

For the next two days, we had to persevere with no electricity, water or gas... but we were/are the lucky ones. I had prepared pretty well because of experiencing the Great Kobe Earthquake in 1995. I had a lot of water on our bedroom veranda (both drinking and to use to flush the toilet), a gas burner and small propane containers for cooking, lots of candles, a fair number of
flashlights and batteries, and three battery operated radios. So we were fine. Our building is new, just finished in 2005, so it incorporates all the best earthquake architecture -- it sways with the jolt, absorbing the impact and then slows down. It doesn't break.

So we were greatly inconvenienced for several days -- no electricity, no running water, etc. -- but nothing compared to the poor folks that were along the coast and washed away with the Tsunami waves, or burned in the fires which erupted. We feel so blessed. All our losses are property losses... and can be replaced. Life cannot be replaced -- a gift of God!

We had no e-mail access until a couple of hours ago, and phone service was (and still is) hit and miss. And the after-shocks continue. They said on TV tonight, which we can see now that the electricity has come back on, that there is a 70% chance of an after-shock of magnitude 7 or more within the next 3 days... so we certainly are not resting easy yet.

More soon, but for now, know that we are well and thankful to have you as such special people in our lives.

Much LOVE,

Marty, Kyoko and Vivian
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er as of April '11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Thank you for that Tom, glad to hear your family is safe and unhurt. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Tom thank you for sharing with us that your family members are ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:Tom thank you for sharing with us that your family members are ok.

X2
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for sharing Tom
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next