Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Cspan_live_play-1

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

+20
Mags
flowergirl
Kathy
TomW
stilllooking
mrmarti
Phillymg
Kat
js123
njcookies
UPCHITCREEK
unemployed2long/1208
Jen
KeeptheFaith
JaneWI
503Depressed
mrgolf
Sad American
Sunrise
Quiethawk
24 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 am

TomW wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:
TomW wrote:
Phillymg wrote:We still haven't heard back from our 2 Japanese-American friends who live in Tokyo tho we emailed them several days ago. Prayers for them & their families.
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 443306
Hope that you hear from your friends soon, Mark.

I received another email yesterday from my cousin in Sendai, as a follow-up to the one from him that I posted here on Monday. They have decided to temporarily flee Sendai for safer ground due to the continuing problems with the nuclear power plants:

"We have decided to get out of Sendai, and are going to leave in a few hours from now to drive to Kyoko's family home in Kyoto. We are concerned about the major nuclear reactor problems in Fukushima, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) to our south. If there is a real melt-down and a major explosion we are not far enough away. Kyoto, though, should be very safe. I will be taking a laptop computer with me, so hopefully we'll have computer accessibility after we get to Kyoto.

We don't know how long the drive will take us. We are going to go through Yamagata Prefecture, then Akita Prefecture and drive down to Kyoto from there. A best case scenario, if expressways are open after Niigata, is a 12-15 hour drive. If we have to take surface streets, it could be easily more than 24 hours.

After we get settled in Kyoto we will try to contact you all again.

Thanks for all your concern and prayers.

Love,

Marty and family"

Tom,

Wanted to let you know I just saw Marty, Kyoko & Vivian on a Nightline report. A reporter documented their journey from Sendai to Kyoto near Kyoko's family.

It took them 16 hours by car and they looked very tired but ok. The area they are in now appears to be non affected. I knew you were concerned and wanted to pass the info along to you.
They have made it safely to Kyota!

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Thanks a lot for letting me know about that, Need2B! Niteline won't be on for a few more hours here on the West Coast, so I'll be sure to tune in and I'll notify some other relatives out here about it. I really appreciate you letting me know about their appearance on the show!!
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 220713
Glad you got the info in time to see Nightline! They look great considering how long the trip was. I am glad they are in a safe place!

Back to top Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by TomW Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 am

Quiethawk wrote:I'll be watching nightline too Tom so happy for your family. Blessings
Thanks, Quiethawk. I've notified all of my relatives out here to watch. I hope that they show the same version of the show on the East and West coasts!
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er as of April '11

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:41 am

Fantastic news Tom. Sorry but I wasn't even aware that you had family in Japan
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 am

mrgolf wrote:Fantastic news Tom. Sorry but I wasn't even aware that you had family in Japan
Yes, it's my cousin Marty and his family. He moved from here to Japan many years ago and married a Japanese girl. I posted some emails that I received from him in this thread on Monday and earlier today. I'm glad to hear that they made the trip from Sendai to Kyoto okay and hope that they are out of danger in Kyoto. I checked on a map and it appears to be quite a distance from the nuclear reactors.
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er as of April '11

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 am

TomW wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Fantastic news Tom. Sorry but I wasn't even aware that you had family in Japan
Yes, it's my cousin Marty and his family. He moved from here to Japan many years ago and married a Japanese girl. I posted some emails that I received from him in this thread on Monday and earlier today. I'm glad to hear that they made the trip from Sendai to Kyoto okay and hope that they are out of danger in Kyoto. I checked on a map and it appears to be quite a distance from the nuclear reactors.
Now I remember the emails. Thanks. So glad they are OK
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

The NY Post has several stories with updated info on the fight to keep the Fukushima plant from melting down--

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/japanese_trucks_pump_water_into_64E3Sma9ERHrJz6X0Trm1I?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Some details.....

--at least 20 plant workers are now suffering radiation sickness

--lead-lined helicopters have dropped large buckets of seawater but most of the water did not reach the fuel-rod pools

--high-pressure water trucks sprayed 30 tons of water towards the pools but it's unclear how much of the water reached the pools

--a plane from France is carrying 95 tons of boron to Japan for use in the battle to stop fuel rods from further melting

--they're getting closer to bringing electricity lines into the area to try to restart the original pumps but the pumps may have been damaged due to seawater so even when electricity is restored the pumps may or may not function

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am

Phillymg wrote:The NY Post has several stories with updated info on the fight to keep the Fukushima plant from melting down--

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/japanese_trucks_pump_water_into_64E3Sma9ERHrJz6X0Trm1I?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Some details.....

--at least 20 plant workers are now suffering radiation sickness

--lead-lined helicopters have dropped large buckets of seawater but most of the water did not reach the fuel-rod pools

--high-pressure water trucks sprayed 30 tons of water towards the pools but it's unclear how much of the water reached the pools

--a plane from France is carrying 95 tons of boron to Japan for use in the battle to stop fuel rods from further melting

--they're getting closer to bringing electricity lines into the area to try to restart the original pumps but the pumps may have been damaged due to seawater so even when electricity is restored the pumps may or may not function

Thank you for posting an update. It seems that there is no agreement how far away from the power plant is safe. The Japaneses are saying 12.4 miles, America is saying 50 miles and Singapore is saying 62 miles.

"Japanese authorities set the exclusion zone around the stricken reactor at 12.4 miles (20 kilometers), but the US urged its citizens to evacuate from a radius of 50 miles from the plant.

Singapore's government Thursday advised its citizens to evacuate areas which are within 62 miles (100 kilometers) of the plant, Kyodo News reported."

JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 pm

If it was me and I was able to I would leave the country
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Shin-kansen
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 pm

mrgolf wrote:If it was me and I was able to I would leave the country
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Shin-kansen

That was my first thought.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Tokyo flight triggers O'Hare radiation detectors

"Mayor Richard Daley acknowledged today passengers on a flight from Tokyo had set off radiation detectors at O’Hare International Airport, but he offered no details and said federal officials will be handling the situation."

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-tokyo-flight-triggers-ohare-radiation-detectors-20110317,0,4216493.story
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Click here for a moving graphic timeline:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Frames12

Last edited by Sunrise on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Sunrise wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 Frames12

It looks like the plume will hit the west coast of the US late tonight, early tomorrow?
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 0315-ONUKE-UPDATE-Japan-Earthquake-radiation_full_600
Heard on CNN this morning that the protective suits that they are wearing inside the reactor are not nearly 100% effective
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Those suits don't protect from radiation--just keep radioactive dust etc off the skin. They'd have to wear lead suits.....which begs the question why they aren't wearing lead suits. Why they aren't using robots.

WHERE IS THE ELECTRICITY????????????????????????

Here's a scary story about evacuees from Fukushima--

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110317004505.htm

Panic has set in.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Phillymg wrote:Those suits don't protect from radiation--just keep radioactive dust etc off the skin. They'd have to wear lead suits.....which begs the question why they aren't wearing lead suits. Why they aren't using robots.

WHERE IS THE ELECTRICITY????????????????????????

Here's a scary story about evacuees from Fukushima--

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110317004505.htm

Panic has set in.....

Thank you for posting the link and yes, why are they sending humans in?
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

All I have to say is, "Wow!".

83-Year-Old Japanese Woman Escapes Tsunami — By Bike

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/17/83-year-old-japanese-woman-escapes-tsunami-%e2%80%94-by-bike/#ixzz1GtUpu1Wg
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm

That's an uplifting story Jane..... Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 11 708464

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Link to LIVE coverage
http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

mrgolf wrote:Link to LIVE coverage

Thanx Golf.

Have also been following the live English-language Japanese TV link that Tom posted--

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

They really need to finish those electricity lines.....wonder from how far away they're having to bring the power. Crying or Very sad

Btw did you see that Glenn Beck has given up on the pots & pans?? Now he's switched to re-telling fairy tales.....he started with 'The Three Little Pigs'--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/17/glenn-becks-three-little-pigs_n_836961.html

One of the commenters said he can't wait to hear Beck's version of 'The Elves & the Shoemaker'.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Even if they get electricity they are gonna have a problem with all of the corrosion from the sea water... Don't know if this will even work. Not looking good.
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Phillymg wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Link to LIVE coverage

Thanx Golf.

Have also been following the live English-language Japanese TV link that Tom posted--

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

They really need to finish those electricity lines.....wonder from how far away they're having to bring the power. Crying or Very sad

Btw did you see that Glenn Beck has given up on the pots & pans?? Now he's switched to re-telling fairy tales.....he started with 'The Three Little Pigs'--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/17/glenn-becks-three-little-pigs_n_836961.html

One of the commenters said he can't wait to hear Beck's version of 'The Elves & the Shoemaker'.....
That TV link is very good. We will be getting less and less coverage as time goes on.

Did you see the Nightline story about Tom Ws relative evacuating? It seemed like things seemed fairly normal just a few hours from where the quake struck the hardest. I wonder why they don't bus people out of the shelters that are running low on food and fuel? Maybe they are
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Physicist Michio Kaku was on O'Donnell's 'The Last Word' a few minutes ago saying if the workers are forced to withdraw due to deadly radiation levels.....the resulting meltdowns & explosions will be *worse* than Chernoble. That's the straightest talk we've heard from *anyone* so far. Apparently he was on 'Good Morning America' this morning too.....

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/physicist-michio-kaku-warns-japan-nu

Kaku says it would be catastrophic for Japan. Guessing that means the whole middle section of Japan would become a nuclear wasteland. He didn't say what would happen to the adjacent ocean & sealife.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 am

Heroes, truly unselfish heroes in every sense of the word. Hearing about them breaks my heart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 am

Tara wrote:Heroes, truly unselfish heroes in every sense of the word. Hearing about them breaks my heart.

Me too, Tara. God bless them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 am

Info from Reuters, CNN, & other sources.....

Yesterday 180 of the Fukushima plant workers exhibited symptoms of radiation sickness.....up from 20 workers the day before.

The company finally got an electrical line to the plant. Hooking it up to the reactor pumps requires a transformer. The #1-4 reactor bldgs each originally had a transformer but who knows now. Workers tried to attach the power line to the #2 transformer (among #1-4 that reactor bldg looks the least damaged) but going near the transformer in the #2 bldg put workers in immediate fatal danger due to high radioactivity coming from the fuel pool of #3.

We can only imagine *how* it was discovered that being so close to the transformer in #2 was impossible.....volunteer workers probably tried to do it & had to retreat with their lives compromised.

CNN says a manned pumping truck is pulling water from the sea then passing that water thru a long hose into an unmanned hightech fire truck that in turn shoots the water continuously into the fuel pool of Reactor #3 which will continue for 7 hours.

Till the fuel pool of #3 is under control nothing else can happen with the electric line to the pumps. Hopefully the fire trucks are also pouring water on the fuel pool in #4 & not just letting it melt down but whothefknows.....not to mention where all the sprayed water that doesn't make its way into the pool(s) yet contaminated with radioactivity is going.....down into the water table & out into the sea.

The brave heroes soldier on—

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8390944/Japan-nuclear-crisis-Fukushima-50-fight-nuclear-fallout-covered-in-duct-tape.html

So far the winds have been flowing from Fukushima towards the sea. But soon the winds will start circling around towards northern Tokyo.

Physicist Michio Kaku says ENTOMB the site IMMEDIATELY…..call out the Japanese Air Force & employ the ‘Chernoble Solution’—drop tons of sandbags, boron, & cement bags. Close it down. ‘If it spirals out of control we could lose a good chunk of Northern Japan.’

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next