Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Free virus scan, etc. Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Free virus scan, etc. Cspan_live_play-1

Free virus scan, etc. Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Free virus scan, etc.

+2
Sunrise
kshort
6 posters

Go down

Free virus scan, etc. Empty Free virus scan, etc.

Post by kshort Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi everyone-my McAfee subscription that came with my laptop ran out yesterday, and I can't afford to renew it. Is there anything good that is available online for free? I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 and Firefox browser. I tried to activate the Windows firewall etc., but all I get is a message that McAfee has taken over those items so I can't use them. I know practically nothing about computers, but I do know I need to have something to keep my computer from getting a virus or anything worse. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kathy
kshort
kshort
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Love playing and teaching piano and playing with my dog Maia

Back to top Go down

Free virus scan, etc. Empty Re: Free virus scan, etc.

Post by Sunrise Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I am in the same boat as you - my anti-virus program is due to expire this month. Although I have heard that Mac users usually don't have to worry about viruses as much as Windows' users, I have felt more comfortable having an anti-virus program.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm

kshort wrote:Hi everyone-my McAfee subscription that came with my laptop ran out yesterday, and I can't afford to renew it. Is there anything good that is available online for free? I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 and Firefox browser. I tried to activate the Windows firewall etc., but all I get is a message that McAfee has taken over those items so I can't use them. I know practically nothing about computers, but I do know I need to have something to keep my computer from getting a virus or anything worse. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kathy
There is free AVG anti-virus and free Avast anti-virus and they both work well.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Also, you need to go into add/remove programs and uninstall the McAfee so, it will stop taking over those items. You will want to uninstall that before you download your free anti-virus program.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Jen wrote:
kshort wrote:Hi everyone-my McAfee subscription that came with my laptop ran out yesterday, and I can't afford to renew it. Is there anything good that is available online for free? I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 and Firefox browser. I tried to activate the Windows firewall etc., but all I get is a message that McAfee has taken over those items so I can't use them. I know practically nothing about computers, but I do know I need to have something to keep my computer from getting a virus or anything worse. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kathy
There is free AVG anti-virus and free Avast anti-virus and they both work well.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Also, you need to go into add/remove programs and uninstall the McAfee so, it will stop taking over those items. You will want to uninstall that before you download your free anti-virus program.

Come back if you are not sure how to uninstall it, it's easy

Back to top Go down

Post by RookieCAF Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

AVG Free is not so hot. Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials are much better choices
RookieCAF
RookieCAF
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Chef/Ceramics (Dishwashing LOL!) / Computers and History

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:58 pm

RookieCAF wrote:AVG Free is not so hot. Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials are much better choices

I am lovin me Avast! Not a problem since I dumped AVG.

BTW, Howdy!!! Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by RookieCAF Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Hiya Knarf! I'm still around, just taking a forum vacation Smile
RookieCAF
RookieCAF
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Chef/Ceramics (Dishwashing LOL!) / Computers and History

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Sunrise wrote:I am in the same boat as you - my anti-virus program is due to expire this month. Although I have heard that Mac users usually don't have to worry about viruses as much as Windows' users, I have felt more comfortable having an anti-virus program.
I have a MacBook and have never had an anti-virus program and never had a problem. (knock on wood). I would consider one if it was freeFree virus scan, etc. GS-BB-WOD
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:35 pm

RookieCAF wrote:Hiya Knarf! I'm still around, just taking a forum vacation Smile

Gotta say, I missed ya.

Do what ya gots to do tho.

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 pm

""have a MacBook and have never had an anti-virus program and never had a problem. (knock on wood). I would consider one if it was free""

Apple OS is based on the Unix kernel (which is probably 30+ years old, so much for latest and greatest fans) while not "immune" just don't have the user base to warrent mal-ware written to attack it...hence the poplularity of linux (same reason)....

Avg, avast are both fine anti-virus apps...it would probably depend on exactly which applications a person runs, mrather than just one is better than...
I have used AVG for years with only minor issues...
The best software MS owns is probably Windows Defender after years of using spybot as an anti-malware software..

MS security Essentials checks to make sure all you patchs, updates etc (various security settings)
are current...IT does NOT stop virus's on its own...
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 pm

One of the problems, In my mind is MS throws a lot of crap out there to make the user feel good. So normally I will shy away from anything with a MS label on it. elvis, you are the third, if not fourth person to push the MS security essentials software. My question is, is it that good, or between my avast, spybot, and malware software, I'm just as good?

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm

""One of the problems, In my mind is MS throws a lot of crap out there to make the user feel good. So normally I will shy away from anything with a MS label on it. elvis, you are the third, if not fourth person to push the MS security essentials software. My question is, is it that good, or between my avast, spybot, and malware software, I'm just as good?""

I do not use MS security essentials....as it on its own does nothing..
It is used in the IT industry, by IT pros who have to deal with many PCs...all the MS sec essentials does is check to see that all your MS updates are current, and that you have no glaring security breech...

About 11/2 yrs ago I was fooling around with one of the newer versions of IE7 or maybe 8, and I had to uninstall whichever and go back to a previous version...
Anyways for the longest time I had 4 security updates, that would download and then fail to install...I think they were connected to the
now removed IE version as in the version was not COMPLETELY removed...
At the same time I was fooling around with the MS sec ess...and OF course it always told me I was missing those important updates!

I have since reinstalled a later version of IE and have long since quit getting those missing updates and failed to install message...

If I remember MS sec ess correctly it is not something that must constantly be running (you just sort of run a scan once and a while)

But if you are using one PC and you are consistently updating things and have no glaring security holes, you are manually doing what MS sec ess does....

I am not a huge MS fan either thats why I was shocked that windows defender worked much better that spybot...shocked.

You should maybe do a restore point then install the MS security ess. and run in just to see if it find any missing updates, but that is about it...You know sometimes there may be an update for adobe or MS word that may not SEEM important but is in fact the new gateway to your PC...

I use a router as a firewall, have windows firewall OFF, AVG free, MS defender and thats it...

The best defense as always is to think before you click...If by mistake you get a webpage that just looks wrong...do not click ANYTHING on it...Right click the taskbar on the bottom..click task manager then END task to close it...that last trick has saved me a half dozen messy mal-ware infestations I am sure.....

MS security can be looked at as an additional reminder to keep all your updates curreny (OS as well as software)

But it was my experiance to get "false positives" if you will due to the incomplete removal of a version of IE...(If i remember correctly you had your own issues with IE9)
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I have Vista from, well you know where, and I always have to download most updates by going into msconfig and disabling all services, restart and then install them. Reload all services when done and restart again. Always works but a pain. Not sure IE has anything to do with it but could be. Oh well, we all have our workarounds.. I use McAfee as I have never had an issue with it or Trend Micro too but they both cost $$$.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks elvis, I guess I really don't need it, as I am always constant with my updates, including all drivers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:32 pm

knarf wrote:Thanks elvis, I guess I really don't need it, as I am always constant with my updates, including all drivers.

Think there are male and female drivers? I mean some cannot find their way around and some stop suddenly at times for no reason?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down