Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Cspan_live_play-1

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall

4 posters

Go down

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Empty Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall

Post by Quiethawk Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-10/discouraged-workers-stop-bernanke-from-taking-much-comfort-in-jobless-fall.html
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Empty Re: Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am

"Some 6.3 million people have been out of work and looking
for a job for more than six months. The employment-to-population
ratio is lower than it was when the recession ended as companies
have been slow to add to payrolls."

“The trends are a little bit scary,” said Nobel laureate
Michael Spence, a professor at New York University. “There’s
been a break in an important part of the social contract” for
many Americans who are finding they can’t get ahead."

Back to top Go down

Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall Empty Re: Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall

Post by Phillymg Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 am

It's kind of an odd article.....jumps from topic to topic but doesn't really tie anything together.....& would like to have read some solutions.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 am

Agreed ot does jump around a bit!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 am

Quiethawk wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-10/discouraged-workers-stop-bernanke-from-taking-much-comfort-in-jobless-fall.html
The sharpest drop in unemployment in more than a quarter century obscures a simple fact: The jobs market still isn’t working for many Americans.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 am

You know with gas so high and pay so low and if you have children and need day care, your pay is basically zero after taxes

Back to top Go down

Post by MassGal Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 am

I tell people that the reason the unemployment rate goes down is that the 99ers are NOT counted anymore... I thought I had read a few months ago that the labor bureau would find an accurate way to count us and add us in to the real unemployment rate? I guess that didn't happen... : (
MassGal
MassGal
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 am

MassGal wrote:I tell people that the reason the unemployment rate goes down is that the 99ers are NOT counted anymore... I thought I had read a few months ago that the labor bureau would find an accurate way to count us and add us in to the real unemployment rate? I guess that didn't happen... : (

I think they do publish a number that includes us but the media always choses to ignore it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

booniebeast wrote:You know with gas so high and pay so low and if you have children and need day care, your pay is basically zero after taxes
Daycare has always been a killer. I have known many working mothers who just about break even after paying for day care and that was when gas was $2.00 per gallon
Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall 5383_pa0704daycare
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 am

MassGal wrote:I tell people that the reason the unemployment rate goes down is that the 99ers are NOT counted anymore... I thought I had read a few months ago that the labor bureau would find an accurate way to count us and add us in to the real unemployment rate? I guess that didn't happen... : (
Phillymg needs to chime in. 99ers are counted. The way they "could" manipulate the rate is by increasing the numbers of 99ers that have "given up looking for work" or "too discouraged to look for work."
Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall EmploymentRecessionsFeb2010
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am

mrgolf wrote:
booniebeast wrote:You know with gas so high and pay so low and if you have children and need day care, your pay is basically zero after taxes
Daycare has always been a killer. I have known many working mothers who just about break even after paying for day care and that was when gas was $2.00 per gallon
Discouraged Workers Complicate Fed's Response to Jobless Fall 5383_pa0704daycare

Yea can you imagine a conversation with the DOL, "So why didn't you take the job? Well I didn't want to work to support the oil companies and my local day care center with nothing left over to pay bill and buy food"

Back to top Go down

Post by MassGal Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh... I see.We are counted,but ,not the way we should be. I am amazed when I watch the news reports,at the way this whole topic is 'spun'.
MassGal
MassGal
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down