Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Cspan_live_play-1

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package

+7
Phillymg
lendmeflight2
Exhausted99er
theend
gigichicago
JaneWI
A.R.K.
11 posters

Go down

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Empty House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package

Post by A.R.K. Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/missouri-tornado-storm-aid-republicans-divided_n_867613.html?fbwall

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.), a member of the Appropriations Committee, showed The Huffington Post photos of her district under 12 feet of water as a result of flooding from the storms. She said an emergency aid package shouldn't need to be paid for with spending cuts but said she has "no doubt" that some of her colleagues on the committee will push for offsets. She guessed that none of them will come from disaster-prone areas.

"It makes me sad" that some Republicans are insisting on offsets for natural disaster of this scale, Emerson said. And in the case of Cantor, "I was disappointed. I need to take him to my district."

Still, she said she is hopeful that some committee Republicans will side with her in not pushing for offsets, particularly some of the newer members who hail from districts hurt by the storms. People have a change of heart on spending "all of a sudden when it becomes personal," she said. "My own constituents would be horrified if I didn't do everything I could" to get aid.

A.R.K.
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Empty Re: House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package

Post by JaneWI Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that some politicians won't agree to help unless some other social program has its budget cut.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package Empty Re: House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package

Post by A.R.K. Thu May 26, 2011 6:00 pm

There should hesitation and no question about it!! They are going too far. Its inhumane!!! I hope there is no delay. These people lost everything all in one swoop. Sad

A.R.K.
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gigichicago Thu May 26, 2011 6:16 pm

House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package 91263 The republicans are making their voters hate them more and more every time news like this comes out in the open.
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theend Thu May 26, 2011 8:05 pm

more stupid games when they should be taking action.

I think we should have a new holiday in the US

National Hang a republican day!

theend
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Thu May 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Doesn't this fall under FEMA? I realize that there were cuts to the program in the 2011 budget, but isn't it up to the President to decide who receives aid? I thought FEMA was under his authority in the Executive branch.

The GOP will be finished in the 2012 elections if they don't help these people asap! This is only the start of the tornado season, hurricane season hasn't even started yet - they better get off their butts and cut some of their own waste because I have a feeling this is going to be a very bad storm season across the country.

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu May 26, 2011 8:23 pm

This saddest part is that there are some people in our country that would support the republicans in this. This is what scares me about the future of America.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm

A.R.K. wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/missouri-tornado-storm-aid-republicans-divided_n_867613.html?fbwall

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.), a member of the Appropriations Committee, showed The Huffington Post photos of her district under 12 feet of water as a result of flooding from the storms. She said an emergency aid package shouldn't need to be paid for with spending cuts but said she has "no doubt" that some of her colleagues on the committee will push for offsets. She guessed that none of them will come from disaster-prone areas.

"It makes me sad" that some Republicans are insisting on offsets for natural disaster of this scale, Emerson said. And in the case of Cantor, "I was disappointed. I need to take him to my district."

Still, she said she is hopeful that some committee Republicans will side with her in not pushing for offsets, particularly some of the newer members who hail from districts hurt by the storms. People have a change of heart on spending "all of a sudden when it becomes personal," she said. "My own constituents would be horrified if I didn't do everything I could" to get aid.
A crack in the teabag armor caused by an Act of God. Very sorry & sad for those who lost loved ones & those desperately searching for missing loved ones due to the recent natural disasters. House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package 443306

It's heartwarming to see smart moderate Republicans standing up against the teabullies. Here's the rub--once the GOP leadership (Cantor/Beohner) agrees to allow *1 single non-military bill* to pass as an EMERGENCY without being 'paid for' by cuts in non-defense spending.....the floodgates open.....so to speak. Last nite on THE ED SHOW (w/out Ed) Rep. Barbara Lee spoke out in support of passing the Tornado Relief bill as an EMERGENCY not needing to be paid for. She's got a plan.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Thu May 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Each session of Congress votes on "rules" with which to run that session...
As part of the 112th Congress one of the "rules" is that ALL things must be "paid for"...
This is similar to the "filibuster" rule we are all so familiar with these rules are AGREED to before each session they are not laws as we think but more like procedural protocols...which means they can be suspended with you guessed it THAT good old magic 60 percent of votes....

NOW moderate republicans see the folly of letting these die-hard rightwingers muck things up....its a shame...(at least I am fairly certain these are simply "rules")
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Not 'all' things Elvis.....military expenses are exempt from the 'pay for' rule set by Cantor/Boehner in Jan. The war profiteers must of course get their pound of flesh no matter how much it adds to the debt or how many of our beloved troops' lives it costs. The current 'House Rule' is that any new non-defense spending must be 'paid for' by reducing other non-defense spending. Tax breaks are specifically prohibited from being used to 'pay for' new spending.....cutting tax breaks doesn't count as cutting spending.....according to Cantor/Boehner. Sucking up to the top 2% of wealthy Americans & to rich people in other countries.....the team of Cantor/Boehner cares absolutely nothing about ordinary Americans. The 'rule' will only be changed after the Tea-Monsters no longer control the House.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Anybody notice that people in China & India drink an awful lot of TEA??

How appropriate that the Tea Party supports every bill that massively ships American jobs to the TEA KINGDOMS of China & India.

Nothing personal against China or India or tea.....it's our own Congress who is encouraging the shipping of jobs overseas thru special tax breaks & many other means.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 am

FEMA Declares Eric Cantor a Disaster Area

Within hours of the declaration, FEMA officials were dispatched to
assess the damage to Mr. Cantor’s status as a human being capable of
empathy.
“I’ve seen a lot of hurricanes and tornados, but this is something
new,” said FEMA spokesman Tracy Klugian. “Rep. Cantor appears to have
been caught up in a moral vacuum.”

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2011/05/25/fema-declares-eric-cantor-a-disaster-area/ Razz

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Looking4Ajob Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Fema is the Pres. decision. We were hit here very hard. Lost hundreds of lives. Every direction around me looks like a war zone. We were without power 8 days at my house. Sustained lots of damage. Nothing got replaced as everything in my deep freezer, and fridge/freezer ruined. Over 2hundred dollars worth of freezer foods. But we were 32.00 over the Fema guidelines for DSNAP assistance. Everyone around us got worse, so I am not complaining but Fema is here to help. And in all the other places too. However, we have many that don't have any income due to the massive layoffs and without UI anymore so they didn't qualify for the Fema Loans. Even an older man who owed 58k on his house, couldn't afford insurance anymore and was without an income.... They turned him down too. So Fema isnt for everyone, only the ones with some sort of cash flow. Something I didnt know is they are loans with Very low interest rates. But loans for those with income flow only. Everyone else has to depend on organizations for help.

Looking4Ajob
Looking4Ajob
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Unemployed 12/15/2010 Hired 2/28/2011 It's a miracle

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Fri May 27, 2011 1:04 pm

elvis44102 wrote:Each session of Congress votes on "rules" with which to run that session...
As part of the 112th Congress one of the "rules" is that ALL things must be "paid for"...
This is similar to the "filibuster" rule we are all so familiar with these rules are AGREED to before each session they are not laws as we think but more like procedural protocols...which means they can be suspended with you guessed it THAT good old magic 60 percent of votes....

NOW moderate republicans see the folly of letting these die-hard rightwingers muck things up....its a shame...(at least I am fairly certain these are simply "rules")

I looked up the rules of the 112th congress- while it does say that any additional appropriations must be "paid for", there still is a provision that this does not apply to any spending deemed "emergency spending". That is the crux of the problem with HR 589- even though historically, Fed. extensions of UI have been emergency spending, this GOP run Congress doesn't feel our rampant long term unemployment is an "emergency". DON"T vote for Rethugs again- or our national problems will get even worse (although I think everyone kinows this).
CLO
CLO
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Customer service/ healthcare

Back to top Go down

Post by theend Fri May 27, 2011 3:17 pm

I hate being a downer but I want everyone to look past this crap and try and save themselve however they can, we keep seeing over and over the government isnt going to help.We are on our own! This stupidity here shows you that. Stop thinking they are going to save you they are not going to do it.

We need our own plan people!

theend
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by requete' Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Right ! No salvation for us from the Government. We are on our own. But they're talking about a 2 Billion Dollar a year aid package for Tunisia and Egypt to help rebuild those countries. Go figure! House Republicans Torn Over Paying For Storm Aid Package 822786
requete'
requete'
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Long Term Unemployed - 99er- now Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum