Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

IT/Tech Support Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
IT/Tech Support Cspan_live_play-1

IT/Tech Support Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

IT/Tech Support

+12
steveninspokane
kshort
Kat
unemployed2long/1208
Sunrise
new_wave_princess
Phillymg
elvis44102
TR11005
JaneWI
Jen
mrgolf
16 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

IT/Tech Support Empty IT/Tech Support

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 am

Anyone out there with any IT/Tech Support experience that can help our members when they have problems?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

IT/Tech Support Empty Re: IT/Tech Support

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Any techies out there?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm

What kind of tech support? A person can't really fix another person's computer from afar. scratch
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Jen wrote:What kind of tech support? A person can't really fix another person's computer from afar. scratch
The kind of tech support if you called India
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

mrgolf wrote:
Jen wrote:What kind of tech support? A person can't really fix another person's computer from afar. scratch
lol!
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Jen wrote:
mrgolf wrote:
lol!
The good news is that is a toll free call Very Happy
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Sure can! If you go into the tools menu you will see a remote access feature. This allows you to give the okay for someone to access from anywhere in the world.
While this is going on, you can sit and watch every move they make on your screen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

knarf wrote:

Sure can! If you go into the tools menu you will see a remote access feature. This allows you to give the okay for someone to access from anywhere in the world.
While this is going on, you can sit and watch every move they make on your screen.
I know about that and I need to get my daughter on mine remotely because it has a big problem but, I was just trying to figure out what mrgolf wanted. Very Happy
I just couldn't imagine have someone that I don't know doing that.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:11 pm

You don't call India, your phone call is actually directed to an India operator. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm

kemcha wrote:You don't call India, your phone call is actually directed to an India operator. Very Happy
You're nit picking lol!
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:41 pm

mrgolf wrote:
kemcha wrote:You don't call India, your phone call is actually directed to an India operator. Very Happy
You're nit picking lol!

Nah he had to make one post to justify being here. Had to see what all the fuss was about.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm

mrgolf wrote:Anyone out there with any IT/Tech Support experience that can help our members when they have problems?

Maybe there could be a techie discussion thread that would answer computer type questions such as computer security and tips and tricks for different operating systems and browsers. This also could include links to free online training for different computer programs.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm

JaneWI wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Anyone out there with any IT/Tech Support experience that can help our members when they have problems?

Maybe there could be a techie discussion thread that would answer computer type questions such as computer security and tips and tricks for different operating systems and browsers. This also could include links to free online training for different computer programs.
Good idea.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Then you could put consultant on your resume and claim it as work experience.

Without going to India, there might be someone in prison that knows about security or computer hacking.

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

I have a few years experiance with PC tech support...
1) computers don't really behave the way they are supposed to a Microsoft error message is maybe about 50/50 percent accurate or even going to point you in the right direction.

2) I have a few friends who for years have called me in a near panic with PC errors, sometimes I know the fix, sometimes I don't.....but a quick description of the problem and an even quicker search solves 90 percent of the issues...

3) You can put fairly accurate desriptions )long ones) into a search and get a solution. When i inform my friends one tells me its easier to call me.

However If a thread was started I would check out the contents as I do most others threads.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Anybody who knows how to do code & web design....please PM me.

I'm trying to find someone who can make a ticker that starts at zero on March 1, 2010, & ends with 7.9 million on December 31, 2011.

That way we (& the world) could see exactly how many 99ers are being created each second of the day.

A picture/ticker would be worth a thousand words.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

I did this yesterday with McAfee and a problem with the program. The lady was from India but knew her stuff and spoke very good English. She fixed the issue and asked is there anything else I can help you with? I said get rid of IE9, I can' find itand it is a problem. Sure, I will do it now. She couldn't find it either! I just want to reinstall it as something happened. Do I just try to install it again from the start up and let it replace the bad copy I got?

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm

There are several fairly good Free code samples that would involve just a little tweaking to get them to run here

I cut and pasted some stuff here in a regular post message...

they wont run I believe it is the security settings on the forum, they won't allow an active script to run from a regular post.

Its been many years and things have changed a whole lot (flash was just becoming sort of available)

This is a free forum with limited admin privilages to the free users (us)
I am not even sure admin privalages (site specific) would be enough to allow embeding of active code..It might be limited to whatever forumotion makes available.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 pm

""by booniebeast Today at 8:58

I did this yesterday with McAfee and a problem with the program. The lady was from India but knew her stuff and spoke very good English. She fixed the issue and asked is there anything else I can help you with? I said get rid of IE9, I can' find itand it is a problem. Sure, I will do it now. She couldn't find it either! I just want to reinstall it as something happened. Do I just try to install it again from the start up and let it replace the bad copy I got?""

Computer people in the business world never use any software thats just released. Many companies with propietary software are STILL running windows XP, so am I (allthough I have win7 on my laptop)

Read your post and didn't even know IE9 was released...but I see its a beta version.

Internet Explorer is embedded as part of the OS and can't really be uninstalled..but just rolled back to previous version which is why i use firefox or googles chrome as alternates (they are standalone)

You can try to uninstal (rollback) it and/or maybe a system restore to before the install.

Whenever Install ANYTHING always download the whole installation package and install whatever it is from your harddrive. then its there incase you need to reinstall it its also emliminates any hiccups the internet may have if you are installing form a web stub.( i know thats not SUPPOSED to happen)

Microsoft always offers a choice for the whole download.. check the "for IT pros" part of ms if the regular site will only let you download and install on the fly.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Phillymg wrote:Anybody who knows how to do code & web design....please PM me.

I'm trying to find someone who can make a ticker that starts at zero on March 1, 2010, & ends with 7.9 million on December 31, 2011.

That way we (& the world) could see exactly how many 99ers are being created each second of the day.

A picture/ticker would be worth a thousand words.

Where are you planning on using this?
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

elvis44102 wrote:There are several fairly good Free code samples that would involve just a little tweaking to get them to run here

I cut and pasted some stuff here in a regular post message...

they wont run I believe it is the security settings on the forum, they won't allow an active script to run from a regular post.

Its been many years and things have changed a whole lot (flash was just becoming sort of available)

This is a free forum with limited admin privilages to the free users (us)
I am not even sure admin privalages (site specific) would be enough to allow embeding of active code..It might be limited to whatever forumotion makes available.

Forumotion owns the site and they are not about to let anyone alter the code, so that's not gonna happen. Mark in Philly's idea coulbe be possible however in the current enviroment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm

elvis44102 wrote:""by booniebeast Today at 8:58

I did this yesterday with McAfee and a problem with the program. The lady was from India but knew her stuff and spoke very good English. She fixed the issue and asked is there anything else I can help you with? I said get rid of IE9, I can' find itand it is a problem. Sure, I will do it now. She couldn't find it either! I just want to reinstall it as something happened. Do I just try to install it again from the start up and let it replace the bad copy I got?""

Computer people in the business world never use any software thats just released. Many companies with propietary software are STILL running windows XP, so am I (allthough I have win7 on my laptop)

Read your post and didn't even know IE9 was released...but I see its a beta version.

Internet Explorer is embedded as part of the OS and can't really be uninstalled..but just rolled back to previous version which is why i use firefox or googles chrome as alternates (they are standalone)

You can try to uninstal (rollback) it and/or maybe a system restore to before the install.

Whenever Install ANYTHING always download the whole installation package and install whatever it is from your harddrive. then its there incase you need to reinstall it its also emliminates any hiccups the internet may have if you are installing form a web stub.( i know thats not SUPPOSED to happen)

Microsoft always offers a choice for the whole download.. check the "for IT pros" part of ms if the regular site will only let you download and install on the fly.

Great idea on system restore, I feel stupid now. I know its an OS deal and not a "program" just never occurred to me. The lady in India did remove IE8, how she did that I don't know! Maybe all my food will now be spicy with India acents! She was pleasant and very good and very polite. Did I just win the lottery?

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Internet Explorer has always been a problem. I would switch to Firefox before doing anything else. Never had any issue with this browser. You can have more then one browser.

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 pm

TR11005 wrote:Internet Explorer has always been a problem. I would switch to Firefox before doing anything else. Never had any issue with this browser. You can have more then one browser.

Firefox is a very good browser. This makes me wonder how many people use something other than IE for their browsing needs.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 pm

""Great idea on system restore, I feel stupid now. I know its an OS deal and not a "program" just never occurred to me. The lady in India did remove IE8, how she did that I don't know! Maybe all my food will now be spicy with India acents! She was pleasant and very good and very polite. Did I just win the lottery?""

You welcome, glad i could help...

There is one thing to remember about computers...They ALL have magic smoke inside them....Don't ever let the smoke out or they quit working..
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next