Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 Cspan_live_play-1

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

+8
JaneWI
mrgolf
gonzofl
Sunrise
nuttin2lose
CLO
concernedinKY
Jen
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 Empty Re: Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

Post by Phillymg Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 am

sbraney wrote:Wouldn't you agree that this is just a little bit late?? What really yanks my chain is that they keep insinuating that the problem revolves around "unskilled" labor. In other words, there's so many jobs out there, but the remaining unemployed just aren't skilled enough to fill them. I DON'T WANT ANY MORE TRAINING DAMN IT - I want to get back to work. The area in which I live is full of industry - they just aren't interested in hiring Americans.
Lawrence Mishel's Jan. 12, 2011, report for the EPI.

http://epi.3cdn.net/67ee506f20f88f8ee7_l7m6ii9g8.pdf

The challenge we face with high and persistent unemployment exceeding 9% is not better education and training for those currently unemployed. Rather, we need more jobs. Moreover, the reason we have seen a huge increase in wage and income inequality over the last 30 years is not a shortfall in the skills and education of the workforce. Workers face a 'wage deficit' much more than a 'skills deficit.' ….. The challenge, in my view, is to provide a much broader path to prosperity, one that encompasses those at every education level.

The *training* issue relates to the large ## of young Americans who are failing to graduate from high school.....they need *training* not *re-training* & they need it badly. However many of the longterm unemployed are over the age of 45 & highly skilled & highly trained. That said I'm seeking re-training or I should say *further training* or *additional training* to qualify for jobs in a new field since positions in my field (book sales & publishing) have been reduced by automation &/or outsourced like crazy. Right now the fed govt is supporting people going back to college (even tho as Mishel says more college isn't what's needed.....more jobs are what's needed). So imo every unemployed person should be going back to school with whatever financial aid is available including student loans (or in my case starting next fall *more* student loans). Basically for millions of people faced with 'waiting' for the jobs to come back in 2-3 years--school can be a good option esp. for those who have exhausted their max UI benefits.

In most states the FAFSA deadline for financial aid is May 1st. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 Empty Re: Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

Post by sbraney Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

The *training* issue relates
to the large ## of young Americans who are failing to graduate from high
school.....they need *training* not *re-training* & they need it
badly.

Why should the taxpayers pay for any more training for someone who failed to complete the FREE training that was already provided? You should look at the amount of money that has been already granted for programs in the stimulus for these individuals - as a property owner my school taxes are out of sight. To ask me to pony up more funds for this crew is beyond the pale. What we can do is provide a local work project where they can earn their own money to fund their own education - then, having forked the cash out themselves, they might decide it's worthwhile to attend and complete.

Folks who have lost jobs due to changes in technology should be given some further training - they have paid enough taxes already and deserve assistance since these circumstances arose through no fault of their own. Sorry if I appear to be harsh, but there is NO excuse for not finishing high school - unless they can prove that they were working to add income to the family's budget and not just hanging out with the gang.

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:53 pm

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-870
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:56 pm

http://thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d112:1:./temp/~bdBkjq:@@@L&summ2=m&|/home/LegislativeData.php|

Bill Summary & Status
112th Congress (2011 - 2012)
H.R.870
All Information

H.R.870

Latest Title: Humphrey-Hawkins 21st Century Full Employment and Training Act

Sponsor: Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14]
(introduced 3/2/2011)
Cosponsors (None)

Latest Major Action: 3/2/2011
Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on
Education and the Workforce, and in addition to the Committee on Ways
and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in
each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the
jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
Jump to: Summary, Major Actions, All Actions, Titles, Cosponsors, Committees, Related Bill Details, Amendments
SUMMARY:***NONE***

MAJOR ACTIONS:
***NONE***
ALL ACTIONS:
3/2/2011:Referred to the Committee on
Education and the Workforce, and in addition to the Committee on Ways
and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in
each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the
jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
3/2/2011:Referred to House Education and the Workforce
3/2/2011:Referred to House Ways and Means

TITLE(S): (italics indicate a title for a portion of a bill)

• SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:

Humphrey-Hawkins 21st Century Full Employment and Training Act
    Work Opportunities and Revitalizing Our Communities Act
  • OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:

To establish the National Full Employment Trust Fund to create employment opportunities for the unemployed.

COSPONSOR(S):
***NONE***

COMMITTEE(S):
    Committee/Subcommittee:Activity:
    House Education and the Workforce Referral, In Committee
    House Ways and Means Referral, In Committee

RELATED BILL DETAILS:
    ***NONE***

AMENDMENT(S):
***NONE***
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Great post and links Jen. Smile

Unfortunately, after 30 minutes, the links have timed-out. But folks here know how to do a search. Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 583654
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Sunrise wrote:Great post and links Jen. Smile

Unfortunately, after 30 minutes, the links have timed-out. But folks here know how to do a search. Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill - Page 2 583654
That doggone thomas.gov. lol!
Oh well.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:33 pm

It was down when I clicked on it darn didn't get to it fast enough.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 pm

A correct diagnosis of the problem would indeed lead to a better
solution. Unfortunately, many people don't want to know what the real
problem is. It's less stressful for people to believe the unemployed
are lazy than knowing and understanding that the jobs just aren't there.

The worst part is that they aren't coming back, because "our" representatives are encouraging corporations to outsource with tax incentives to do so. All of these numbnuts are very clever at turning the public's gaze somewhere else. If people would just be a little more skeptical of everything the "powers that be" are promoting - both sides - we could get the revolution started.

I'm going to say this once more - have you considered how poorly the gov't has exercised it's duty to oversee immigration programs and why? In other words, if they are as delinquent in their obligations with "undocumented" immigrants, can you imagine how bad the problem is with H1B and other visa programs in this country? What Americans should be asking at the very least is why are there any right now? Don't for one minute suggest that Americans aren't qualified - I was laid off and replaced just as were many other benefit paid engineers. Let's wake up the teaparty in this country - let's be real patriots!! Not just a bunch of "koch" suckers...working on behalf of corporate welfare.

"How to Build a Progressive Tea
Party

Johann Hari | February 3, 2011

Imagine a parallel universe where the Great Crash of 2008 was followed by a
Tea Party of a very different kind. Enraged citizens gather in every city, week
after week—to demand the government finally regulate the behavior of
corporations and the superrich, and force them to start paying taxes. The
protesters shut down the shops and offices of the companies that have most
aggressively ripped off the country. The swelling movement is made up of
everyone from teenagers to pensioners. They surround branches of the banks that
caused this crash and force them to close, with banners saying, You Caused This Crisis. Now YOU Pay."

http://www.thenation.com/article/158282/how-build-progressive-tea-party

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum