Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Cspan_live_play-1

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix

5 posters

Go down

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Empty Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix

Post by Michfemale11 Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:23 am

I wasn't quite sure if this section was the right place to put this, admins please feel free to move it if necessary.

I received this email today:

Dear Denise,
Your quick action is urgently needed to help stop a major cutback to unemployment insurance that would set a dangerous national precedent. What was a state issue is now an urgent national issue.
In a shockingly harsh, reckless and cynical move, the Michigan legislature has approved a bill that would reduce the maximum weeks of eligibility for regular state unemployment benefits to 20 weeks from the national standard of 26 weeks, while allowing for a technical fix to continue the current federally-funded Extended Benefits program.
Now Michigan’s newly elected Governor Rick Snyder has a choice to make. He can do the right thing: veto the bill, and tell the legislature to immediately pass a simple fix to continue federal Extended Benefits, but without any cuts to state benefits—and help protect working families. Or he can become the first and only Governor, and make Michigan the first and only state to reduce state unemployment benefits to less than 26 weeks—and endorse this stealth attack on working families.
Click here to tell Michigan Governor Rick Snyder to VETO the bill, REJECT the cuts to state UI benefits, and SUPPORT a clean Extended Benefits measure.
Supporting the technical fix to continue Extended Benefits is the right thing to do. And it is clear that the legislature saw it could not stand in the way of a groundswell of support for continuing those Extended Benefits.
But, apparently at the behest of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, some members of the legislature attached a devastating provision that would cut back regular state unemployment insurance eligibility from 26 weeks to 20 weeks. Governor Snyder should reject that cut back.
If Gov. Snyder signs the bill on his desk, Michigan would have the inglorious distinction of being the only state in the nation to reduce the maximum weeks of state benefits to less than the national standard of 26 weeks. And this in a state with the nation’s longest stretch of double-digit unemployment, where the jobless rate has exceeded the national average for more than a decade, and where the maximum unemployment benefit is already less than all its other Great Lakes neighbors and many other states.
[b][b]Click here to tell Michigan Governor Rick Snyder to VETO the bill, REJECT the cuts to state UI benefits, and SUPPORT a clean Extended Benefits measure.[/b][/b]
Passing a technical fix to continue federal Extended Benefits is the right thing to do. It would make those benefits available if needed to an estimated 150,000 long-term jobless workers in Michigan through 2011. But cutting back on regular state unemployment benefits is the wrong thing to do. It would not only hurt unemployed workers, it would hurt local businesses, who would not see those benefits spent for groceries, fuel and other necessities in their communities. And it would set a dangerous precedent for other states.
Click here to tell Michigan Governor Rick Snyder to VETO the bill, REJECT the cuts to state UI benefits, and SUPPORT a clean Extended Benefits measure.
Please take action now!
Then call Gov. Snyder: PHONE: (517) 373-3400
And send him your own personal email: E-MAIL: Rick.Snyder@michigan.gov
Many thanks,
The Unemployedworkers.org Team
Mitchell, Chris, Andy, Maurice, Judy, Christine, Rebecca, Mike, Rick, George, Norman, Claire and Blase
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Full time mom, 99er, seeking work

Back to top Go down

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Empty Re: Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 am

This sort of thing is going on all over the country.

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix 822786
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Empty Re: Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix

Post by Jen Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am

I know Indiana already did it and I think Florida did too and I don't know what all other states. This is insane!
Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix 828322
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michfemale11 Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am

Every day gives me a new reason to be glad I'm out of that state.

According to the article, Michigan will be the first and only state to cut back on the state benefits, and from the way I understand it I believe it means on the original 26-week claim, not just on EB. That is just horrible for a state that has been a leader in UE claims and the longest in double-digit UE.

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix 828322
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Full time mom, 99er, seeking work

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:48 am

Michfemale11 wrote:Every day gives me a new reason to be glad I'm out of that state.

According to the article, Michigan will be the first and only state to cut back on the state benefits, and from the way I understand it I believe it means on the original 26-week claim, not just on EB. That is just horrible for a state that has been a leader in UE claims and the longest in double-digit UE.

Indiana did it in a different way. They passed something that will base your check on how much you made the whole year instead of the highest quarter and so, now people that could only find a temporary job that year won't qualify at all and seasonal workers might not qualify. There was something else in it too that reduces it but, I can't remember what it was right now. So, yes they are not reducing the 26 weeks but, they are reducing how much people get per week and they already paid a way lower amount than a lot of states did to begin with. It is so sad. Evil or Very Mad
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Empty Michigan may cut unemployment benefits

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Just received this email
Your quick action is urgently needed to help stop a major cutback to unemployment insurance that would set a dangerous national precedent. What was a state issue is now an urgent national issue.

In a shockingly harsh, reckless and cynical move, the Michigan legislature has approved a bill that would reduce the maximum weeks of eligibility for regular state unemployment benefits to 20 weeks from the national standard of 26 weeks, while allowing for a technical fix to continue the current federally-funded Extended Benefits program.

Now Michigan’s newly elected Governor Rick Snyder has a choice to make. He can do the right thing: veto the bill, and tell the legislature to immediately pass a simple fix to continue federal Extended Benefits, but without any cuts to state benefits—and help protect working families. Or he can become the first and only Governor, and make Michigan the first and only state to reduce state unemployment benefits to less than 26 weeks—and endorse this stealth attack on working families.

Supporting the technical fix to continue Extended Benefits is the right thing to do. And it is clear that the legislature saw it could not stand in the way of a groundswell of support for continuing those Extended Benefits.

But, apparently at the behest of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, some members of the legislature attached a devastating provision that would cut back regular state unemployment insurance eligibility from 26 weeks to 20 weeks. Governor Snyder should reject that cut back.

If Gov. Snyder signs the bill on his desk, Michigan would have the inglorious distinction of being the only state in the nation to reduce the maximum weeks of state benefits to less than the national standard of 26 weeks. And this in a state with the nation’s longest stretch of double-digit unemployment, where the jobless rate has exceeded the national average for more than a decade, and where the maximum unemployment benefit is already less than all its other Great Lakes neighbors and many other states.

Passing a technical fix to continue federal Extended Benefits is the right thing to do. It would make those benefits available if needed to an estimated 150,000 long-term jobless workers in Michigan through 2011. But cutting back on regular state unemployment benefits is the wrong thing to do. It would not only hurt unemployed workers, it would hurt local businesses, who would not see those benefits spent for groceries, fuel and other necessities in their communities. And it would set a dangerous precedent for other states.

Please take action now!

Then call Gov. Snyder: PHONE: (517) 373-3400

And send him your own personal email: E-MAIL: Rick.Snyder@michigan.gov

Full ViewEmergency National Action: Tell Mich. Gov. Snyder - Veto UI Cuts, Pass Extended Benefits Fix Mi-1013-GreetingsFromMichigan
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Michfemale11 wrote:Every day gives me a new reason to be glad I'm out of that state.

I think that Florida did it first. Of all the states to pull this kind of nonsense - their unemployment has been and remains very high. People are hurting! You don't stab a person that is bleeding instead you give them a band aide.

What is wrong with these people. I am starting to think that they are pure evil. Twisted Evil
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/24/michigan-unemployment-extension-compromise_n_840088.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 pm

In 2009 with an unemployment rate of 9.1, Louisiana reduced the maximum weekly benefit by forty dollars.

In 2010, Louisiana refused to accept the Feds money to pay extended benefits.

Mississippi also refused the Feds money for extended benefits at a time when the state unemployment rate was 11%

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down