Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Cspan_live_play-1

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

+5
Sunrise
Kat
Corinne
mrgolf
jj
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Empty Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

Post by jj Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

A bill that would reduces Florida's unemployment benefits will be considered on Thursday by the House Finance and Tax Committee
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/careers/ask-marcia/sfl-unemployment-benefits-thursday,0,1323730.story

Last edited by jj on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added content)
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Empty Re: Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Wow look a unemployment bill the right supports. TO TRIM BENEFITS FROM 26 weeks to 20. Mad Mad Mad Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday 843100

Back to top Go down

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday Empty Re: Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Wow look a unemployment bill the right supports. TO TRIM BENEFITS FROM 26 weeks to 20. Mad Mad Mad Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday 843100

Hey, no problem! The Feds are going to slash 800,000 jobs, but if you look on the bright side, 36,000 jobs were created in January! Using the new government math, it all adds up! cheers Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Wow look a unemployment bill the right supports. TO TRIM BENEFITS FROM 26 weeks to 20. Mad Mad Mad Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday 843100

Hey, no problem! The Feds are going to slash 800,000 jobs, but if you look on the bright side, 36,000 jobs were created in January! Using the new government math, it all adds up! cheers Evil or Very Mad

There answer is to raise the retirement age. I need a friggin JOB to retire from!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm

jj wrote:Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/careers/ask-marcia/sfl-unemployment-benefits-thursday,0,1323730.story
I received a severance package so that bill would have effected me if I lived in FL.

A bill that would reduces Florida's unemployment benefits will be considered on Thursday by the House Finance and Tax Committee.

H.B. 7005 would trim the number of paid unemployment weeks from the nationwide standard of 26 weeks to 20 weeks, tighten the qualification for unemployment compensation, disqualifies residents who receive severance pay from benefits, and redefines denial of benefits for "misconduct" to outside the workplace, among other changes.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm

This is a disgrace. Especially in a state with such a high rate of unemployment. They are literally trying to force folks into the streets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Jobless_in_MA wrote:This is a disgrace. Especially in a state with such a high rate of unemployment. They are literally trying to force folks into the streets.

There are already 10,000 in the streets in Wisconsin right now. Governor has threatened to call out the National Guard. I have a very bad feeling. This is going to get very ugly very quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Jobless_in_MA wrote:This is a disgrace. Especially in a state with such a high rate of unemployment. They are literally trying to force folks into the streets.

There are already 10,000 in the streets in Wisconsin right now. Governor has threatened to call out the National Guard. I have a very bad feeling. This is going to get very ugly very quickly.
Are they in homeless shelters or literally "on the streets?"
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Corinne Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am

mrgolf wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

Are they in homeless shelters or literally "on the streets?"

People here in Milwaukee and Madison Wisconsin people are every where protesting..Most of them GOVERNMENT workers who claim they don't get paid enough to raise there familys......BS.........They filled the Federal building here today it was crazy. and still is...Back in the 60's we we had riots not to far from where I grew up. you talk about being scared s**t less......
Corinne
Corinne
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 am

Police estimated over 13,000 union worker protesters today at the capital in Madison, WI...lots of smaller protests around the state as well - protesting against Gov. Walker's bill to bust the unions.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 am

The proposed pay cuts and increase in worker contributions to benfits is secondary to the loss of union workers bargaining rights.
Busting up the unions is bad for ALL workers, imo - paving the way for even greater exploitation of workers in both the private and public sectors.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am

Kat wrote:Police estimated over 13,000 union worker protesters today at the capital in Madison, WI...lots of smaller protests around the state as well - protesting against Gov. Walker's bill to bust the unions.

Why isn't this being covered by the major online newspapers? I just went to CNN and nothing. They are still writing about overseas protests Mad . A couple of hours ago, I went to MSNBC and nothing there either.

Why isn't this getting attention? This is happening here in the USA and is directly affecting the lives of thousands of Americans.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by jj on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Corinne Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am

Sunrise wrote:
Kat wrote:Police estimated over 13,000 union worker protesters today at the capital in Madison, WI...lots of smaller protests around the state as well - protesting against Gov. Walker's bill to bust the unions.

Why isn't this being covered by the major online newspapers? I just went to CNN and nothing. They are still writing about overseas protests Mad . A couple of hours ago, I went to MSNBC and nothing there either.

Why isn't this getting attention? This is happening here in the USA and is directly affecting the lives of thousands of Americans.

@Kat-thank you for clarifying this--> it's all over our news here..They can't clear the downtown area..
Corinne
Corinne
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am

Sunrise wrote:

Trying to keep the American Public ignorant to what's going on around them so they can carry on with their jobs & spending, & live in bliss.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Taking care of my dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 am

Sunrise wrote:

Reuters carried a story. Opposition to Walker's bill will continue to build - the vote is expected on Thursday, I believe. Unions have put a lot of money into the protest - hourly television ads, free buses to protest sites.
If this bill passes, it's only going to get worse.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 am

Corinne wrote:
Sunrise wrote:

@Kat-thank you for clarifying this--> it's all over our news here..They can't clear the downtown area..

Here call CNN and tell them to get their a** there:

NEWS TIP OPTIONS
Text Message: Text CNN (space) and your news tip to 772937 (don't forget
the space after CNN). Include your cell phone number if you'd like a
call back.

Email us your news tips

Call: 404.827.1500, select option 1

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/tips/index.html
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 am

This is so crazy.....We can barely survive now.....let alone with six less weeks.....There are no jobs and now they want to reduce the benefits.....
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 am

Can't say I am surprised. Last year with highest unemployment in decades Louisiana changed the unemployment benefits-maximum weekly benefit amount from 287.00 a week to 247.00 a week.
This year the state failed to pass the legislation to accept the extended benefit money from the feds. We were at 8.2 % unemployment when I finished Tier 3- got two weeks of EB and that was it. The unemployment rate in La and Miss is high enough to get the 20 weeks of EB but the states won't accept. How cruel is that?
We're not all 99 ers some of us are 73 ers.

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by jj on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MOTLEY Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:20 pm

So this Bill HB7005 will be presented to the House economic affairs committee tomorrow, I received this reply this afternoon to an email i sent to all the members of the committee.
Here is the email i sent
Dear Representative:

On behalf of all hard-working Floridians, I ask that you vote with a resounding "No!" on H.B. 7005. Our jobless benefits are already among the most meager in the country, and our unemployment rate is one of the Highest. It's time to focus on job creation. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

You
know just as well as we do that we are not to blame. Times are already
tough, and we are struggling to make ends meet and find work. In the
name of my family and my community, do not let this bill pass. I think
we are all adults here and to keep working on Bills that are aimed
towards Blaming problems on the Unemployed is Disgusting. Let's be Real
there are 1 Million + Unemployed in Florida
right now and i think we are all Smart enough to know that there are
NOT 1 Million + JOBS Available in this state right Now. Unless you folks
start working on the Real issue of Jobs instead of coming up with Bills
that make it seem as the 1 Million + Unemployed just got Lazy and
decided that they did not want to work anymore, Then everyone of You
will be Voted out at the Next Election. Vote NO on this Bill!

Here is the reply i received also with a request to read my email on the Floor so we shall see.
Thank you for writing me and expressing your concern for HB 7005, concerning the unemployment benefits. I am impressed with the large number of emails and calls I have received regarding this issue, and as a voting member of the Economic Affairs Committee,
I have weighed your input carefully into my decision. I will be voting
against HB 7005; again, I thank you for your input, as this was a factor
in my decision. I wanted to ask you if your statement could possibly be read aloud on the committee hearing floor tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Representative Irving Slosberg
Florida House of Representatives District 90

Last edited by MOTLEY on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
MOTLEY
MOTLEY
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Good on you!

I take it that this bill would have reduced your benefit amount? What is this bill about? Is this State or Federal.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MOTLEY Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm

State of Florida only. Reduces the amount of original benefits from 26wks to 20wks. Also changes rules to make it harder for folks to get benefits by making the Employee need the burden of proof that they were laid off through no fault of there own VS how it is now which is that the Employer needs to Prove that the employee should not be eligible for benefits. Really at this point it does not do much to effect me as i am coming up on the end of E.B. and then done. but there are others that it will effect and i am just tired of Florida and All States trying to make it seem like we All just decided that we Don't want to work. I don't really post alot but am always doing my part to contact these Fools in charge at all levels whether State or Federal Rep's.

Last edited by MOTLEY on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
MOTLEY
MOTLEY
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Oh yeah, I read about this. It stinks!

Unemployment benefit changes to be considered by House Finance on Thursday 822786
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

I thought they were all out of town. so how can they get to it fri??
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next