Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Cspan_live_play-1

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic

+3
Jen
knarf
springflowers
7 posters

Go down

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Empty Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclusive/20110531/pl_yblog_exclusive/why-the-white-working-class-is-alienated-pessimistic#mwpphu-container

The econmy is badly affecting everyone but interesting that the working class is even mentioned since they are invisible to most news out there.

The comments are very interesting
America has been dumbed down and outsourced. All those people with degrees doesn't mean they know anything. I am a university graduate but I received a better education in high school than my granddaughters receive at university now. Having a skilled trade is looked down on by elites who can't change a lightbulb. Unions have made a joke out of the word craftsman. We can't go back in time but we can take some of the best things from the era of our parents and grandparents and start doing something right. For one, get the academics out of the government and make them perform at a real job for a while before they think they know everything. Bring back craftsmanship and apprenticeships. Let's stop making things that will break in 90 days and add to the trash heap. Let's do more with less and have some pride in workmanship. Let's make ethics a mandatory course in all high schools. Let's do something before it is just too late.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Empty Re: Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:25 am

another good comment...

THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE ALIENATED AND LABELED PESSIMISTIC FOR
SPEAKING THEIR MIND.

We have spent trillions on war and fixing up sand countries.

We have give away billions in foreign aid and still are.

We have had thousands of dollars took from our pay check for our So.Sec.
that they are now calling an entitlement.

Prices have soared on everything not just gas and there is no way minium
wage workers pay checks can keep up with todays prices.

Elderly retired people are hurting after losing their COLA.

Wall St speculators have helped drive gas prices higher.

There is no gas shortage,we have a gas glut and sombody is makeing
billions off of it.

Rich lobbist are allowed to buy favoritism from poloticians.

They just keep on pretending that things are better and pay little
attention to voters opinions.

If what i have mention here makes me a pessimist so be it just call
me pessimist #1
There is little to be optimistic about.

After spending billions on foreign countries they act like it is all
the american peoples fault.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic Empty Re: Why the white working class is alienated and pessimistic

Post by knarf Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am

Call me pessimist 1A, like my draft card classification.

knarf
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 am

knarf wrote:Call me pessimist 1A, like my draft card classification.

Understand that.

I really do not see how things will get better. I try and warn those around me, but they do not want to hear it. I want to move back to a rural area and focus on other things, and those around me fighting me every inch of the way. I think we are going into a full blown Depression.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:37 pm

I'd say this survey is right on. I'm one of those people that doesn't have a college degree and I couldn't feel more alienated and pessimistic. Crying or Very sad

Asked if they were better off than their parents were at the same age
That would be a big fat NO! Back then, they didn't have to have a college degree to work at good jobs that paid a living wage with real benefits.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:26 pm

I am not better off than my parents. At the age I am now my parents had already owned two houses, many cars, had gone on many vacations with me and my brother, etc. Neither of my parents attended college (my mom should have) but they had excellent jobs with benefits.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Jen wrote:I'd say this survey is right on. I'm one of those people that doesn't have a college degree and I couldn't feel more alienated and pessimistic. Crying or Very sad

That would be a big fat NO! Back then, they didn't have to have a college degree to work at good jobs that paid a living wage with real benefits.

Don't feel bad the college degrees really aren't making that much of a difference anymore. One could get a decent job that provided a real life with stability even without college.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:31 pm

new_wave_princess wrote:I am not better off than my parents. At the age I am now my parents had already owned two houses, many cars, had gone on many vacations with me and my brother, etc. Neither of my parents attended college (my mom should have) but they had excellent jobs with benefits.

My father made it to college but mother got good job without college. We had large homes and vacations, always more then 2 cars, and roast beef every week and full pantry. I didn't know what was awaiting me not at all. Both of us are college educated and as far as income went I guess it meant 9 or 10 bucks an hour instead of 6 or 7 but big whoop. The money used for college could have been used for something better.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by requete' Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Jen, same here! Even with College degrees, I also feel alienated and pessimistic, along with being stressed out and depressed. I always thought that working hard through all of your life, that when the time came, you could Retire out when you were ready to, with grace and dignity. Not so, because a lot of people like me are now being forced into Retirement ( early ), and not on our own terms. College degrees are no longer a guarantee that one will get a good job that pays living wages and good benefits. Colleges are even putting disclaimers on their ads now saying " employment is not guaranteed, but career services are available to help "
requete'
requete'
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Long Term Unemployed - 99er- now Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:38 pm

springflowers wrote:
Jen wrote:I'd say this survey is right on. I'm one of those people that doesn't have a college degree and I couldn't feel more alienated and pessimistic. Crying or Very sad

Don't feel bad the college degrees really aren't making that much of a difference anymore. One could get a decent job that provided a real life with stability even without college.
My comment was actually based on how things were before the economy was like this. I know the degrees aren't helping anyone now. That's why I don't even bother trying to get one now. Sad
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

springflowers wrote:
new_wave_princess wrote:I am not better off than my parents. At the age I am now my parents had already owned two houses, many cars, had gone on many vacations with me and my brother, etc. Neither of my parents attended college (my mom should have) but they had excellent jobs with benefits.

My father made it to college but mother got good job without college. We had large homes and vacations, always more then 2 cars, and roast beef every week and full pantry. I didn't know what was awaiting me not at all. Both of us are college educated and as far as income went I guess it meant 9 or 10 bucks an hour instead of 6 or 7 but big whoop. The money used for college could have been used for something better.

What's sad is my cousins never attended college yet we are applying for jobs that pay around the same. The difference is these jobs I am interviewing for are "management" positions whereas they are applying for support jobs.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by disgustedwithgovt Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

No guarantee of employment, and you come out as an indentured slave as well. Don't even think about getting the money off your back, the lenders pick your bones even if you die.

disgustedwithgovt
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

requete' wrote:Jen, same here! Even with College degrees, I also feel alienated and pessimistic, along with being stressed out and depressed. I always thought that working hard through all of your life, that when the time came, you could Retire out when you were ready to, with grace and dignity. Not so, because a lot of people like me are now being forced into Retirement ( early ), and not on our own terms. College degrees are no longer a guarantee that one will get a good job that pays living wages and good benefits. Colleges are even putting disclaimers on their ads now saying " employment is not guaranteed, but career services are available to help "

I believe the colleges will be collapsing soon when people figure out the pay out is not there. I have told parents of my younger cousins and nieces and nephews, have them forgo college and learn a practical trade. I think the people able to eearly retire are better off. I am disabled but husbnad had no retirement and none of his workplaces provided that. That is one thing the older folks do not get now, there are NO PENSIONS for younger people. NONE at all, and no expendable income to put into them. One thing too is lost of control over one's life, which is limited of course is being destroyed, people live in nothing but uncertainty and disconnection now, knowing everything could crash at any minute, it makes you wonder what this does to people over the long haul.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

disgustedwithgovt wrote:No guarantee of employment, and you come out as an indentured slave as well. Don't even think about getting the money off your back, the lenders pick your bones even if you die.

IT is the biggest scam going.

I realized I learned nothing useful in college. I have learned far more since then and OUT of college. I didnt pick a practical major but had family members who did, and they never really learned much that worked in the "real world" either. I think we need to bring back apprenticeships and independent lecture and learning society, let the colleges collapse. So much of what they teach is useless. There are some majors left that may be practical, nursing? medical? engineering? But jobs are lacking in those too.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by requete' Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:59 pm

It's the lack of jobs out there ! Not the lack of Colleges out there offering degrees. We are saturated with 'for profit' and 'non profit' colleges offering degree programs, and over-saturated at that. A lot of them will go under, if not cutting back their programs.
requete'
requete'
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Long Term Unemployed - 99er- now Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by springflowers Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:10 pm

When there are so many college degrees, they really mean nothing anymore. College does not show any real knowledge anymore, just that you had the money to pay the tuition to get through. College is a waste of time in a land with no jobs. Better to learn real skills via doing.

springflowers
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kman Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:46 pm

springflowers wrote:When there are so many college degrees, they really mean nothing anymore. College does not show any real knowledge anymore, just that you had the money to pay the tuition to get through. College is a waste of time in a land with no jobs. Better to learn real skills via doing.

I hope Carol in CA makes it here - she posted a site for learning computer program - free from The Leaning Center and online - I will see where I have the site and post it. I, for one, am learning every computer program I can - this will help tremendously in trying to get hired somewhere.

Found it:

HP Learning center - classes

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/all_courses.jsp?hplcpsession.id=1d7b0500167d63f7291cc0d2439b

Free classes

kman
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down