Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Action plan. Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Action plan. Cspan_live_play-1

Action plan. Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Action plan.

+8
knarf
Jen
UPCHITCREEK
worrywart
theend
Exhausted99er
basketballjones
concernedinKY
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Action plan. Empty Action plan.

Post by concernedinKY Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm a little tired, been a rough few days. I'll post ideas as they come to me on this thread and welcome others to do the same.

Here's the deal: I think our next plan of action shouldn't just to be to push for HR 589, but to push to have the 99ers included in any negotiations surrounding the debt ceiling. This is going to be their next big 'give and take' and possibly our last chance. So please, please, brainstorm your ideas on how to make this push here.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Action plan. Empty Re: Action plan.

Post by basketballjones Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Just an idea ...... if advocacy efforts are to be successful wouldn't ya need to go ahead and ban whoever you need to and move forward on real issues?

Other forums don't have all this drama they simply ban offenders and go forward..........me thinks you like it a bit?

basketballjones
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 pm

How about I start by banning someone that's made two posts and both have been inflammatory?
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I saw this in the Huffington Post this morning and found it "hopeful". President Obama is considering and open to, a second stimulus plan to be included in the debt ceiling negotiations to get the economy moving. The original extensions, EUC08, were all part of the first stimulus. Maybe push this agenda? I don't see the current bill getting out of the GOP controlled House any time in the near future. Here is the article I am referring to. Just a suggestion, but I think it is an excellent opportunity for us.

To many progressives, Obama's logic appears flawed. How would slashing trillions of dollars from the budget over the next decade help the 14 million Americans who are currently unemployed? But tucked beneath the president's rhetorical strains was an important declaration:

"One of the most important things we can do for debt and deficit reduction is to grow the economy," Obama said. "Deficit reduction, debt reduction should be part of an overall package for job growth over the long term. It is not the only part of it, but it is an important part of it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/obama-open-to-stimulus-debt-reduction-plan_n_887093.html

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Just found this article....
Senate to work next week on debt limit impasse

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-next-week-debt-limit-impasse-140257248.html

Back to top Go down

Post by theend Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Mobs they no what they have to do, they just need to choose, its all BS

theend
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

Hi ConcernedInKentucky,

Here are a few thoughts of things to pursue - if we can basically agree that any expansion of total weeks of UI coverage is unlikely given the current make up of the Congress:

1.) Food stamps.

Keeping current coverage or increasing the level.

Primary need # 1; Displaced Workers need to eat.

2.) Housing Assistance.

Some type of voucher program to partially defer rent costs for those who've exhausted their UI benefits.

Primary need # 2; Displaced Workers need a roof.

3.) Tax break for companies of under 200 FTE employees for hiring people who've exhausted their UI benefits. Because what Displaced Workers need the most, and that will cover all their Primary Need 1 & 2 and others is . . . a job.

I am sure, ConcernedInKentucky, that others here can suggest other advocacy based endeavors.

WW

Last edited by worrywart on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by UPCHITCREEK Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:30 am

Great ideas WW, it's somewhere to start for sure.

UPCHITCREEK
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks upchitcreek,

I think that the things we suggest should be those likely to have the very most general support. . . because those are the programs and initiatives where success is most likely to be achieved.

Social Security protection would be another such thing.

I am certain that the knives are out for Social Security, and that is about the single largest arena by which the LT unemployed can be almost guaranteed to gain credibility from AARP and other such groups.

Why, even the Republican National Committee must be aware that going after social security will alienate from them a huge cross-section of their core constituency (e.g., senior citizens) . . . Seniors can probably be counted upon to seek to protect their main source of survival.

Can anyone else suggest some non-Tier-5 ideas which would be helpful (e.g., interest free student loans for four years for our LTU over 50 for up to $10,000 in education towards a certification that would help them compete for one of our under-labor-resourced hot-jobs)? I don't know, I'm just brainstorming here.

Please, DAWU, fire away with your suggestions for non-Tier-5-like legislation that will - nevertheless -be of help to our LTU.

WW
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:07 am

By the end of the year, there will be another 10 million or more Americans left with no lifeline when the deadlines for extended benefits expire.

Your suggestions are great, WW, but what about the single, middle-aged worker with grown children that has already used all their savings and retirement money? Any type of rent subsidies would not help individuals like this, we have been without an income for over a year and our time is just about up. When it comes to having a roof over our heads, especially for the winter, more funds need to be invested in homeless shelters and food pantries. That is a reality. Many LTU have no one to count on for income but themselves.

As far as AARP, I am cancelling my membership when it comes up for renewal at the end of the month due to the shift in their stance on cuts to Social Security. They are about as helpful as NELP, which isn't saying a lot!

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Exhausted99er/DesperateinRI,

So, from what I got out of your post, you are suggesting an increase in budget for homeless shelters and food pantries. Would it be better to have the state directly manage new sites, or for the funds to be dispersed to nonprofits organizations already runnng such pantries and shelters to either expand current facilities or to open up new facilities?

Onto another subject, it was a surprise to my eyes to see that you wrote that AARP has changed their stance towards Social Security cuts ?

Could you please provide a link, and, if the article(s) are very long, an "executive summary" so to speak of the particulars? My mother and many in my church would be very interested to hear more about this. Is this information contained in AARP's website?

WW
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UPCHITCREEK Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Jen wrote:Here you go WW.

[url=https://dawu.forumotion.com/t2532-aarp-expects-social-security-benefit-cuts
https://dawu.forumotion.com/t2532-aarp-expects-social-security-benefit-cuts[/quote[/url]]

you beat me to it ..... lol!

UPCHITCREEK
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Here is another article on AARP's shifted stance on Social Security from the Wall St. Journal:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/06/17/seniors-groups-slam-aarp-for-shift-on-social-security/

As far as homeless shelters and food pantries, there were not enough last year in this state and emergency shelters had to be created. I can only imagine what it will be like this winter when the current Federal extended benefit program runs out. The financial burden on this state, (and many others) will be overwhelming.

My question to your action plan regarding housing is what to do about those that have exhausted benefits and have no income. The middle-age, single person who has gone through all of their savings and has no other income to rely on.

IMO, another WPA or CETA program needs to be implemented immediately. I don't see any other option to this crisis right now and I understand that another extension of unemployment benefits will never pass the GOP controlled House.

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 pm

..and I understand that another extension of unemployment benefits will never pass the GOP controlled House.

It could if Obama would decide that 15 million (and counting) Americans were worth ramming it through like he did the Dream Act.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 pm

concernedinKY wrote:
..and I understand that another extension of unemployment benefits will never pass the GOP controlled House.

It could if Obama would decide that 15 million (and counting) Americans were worth ramming it through like he did the Dream Act.
....and Healthcare Reform, which was just about dead until their summit at Blair House in early 2010. It can be done, with strong leadership and a firm stance from President Obama.

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Exhausted99er wrote:
concernedinKY wrote:

....and Healthcare Reform, which was just about dead until their summit at Blair House in early 2010. It can be done, with strong leadership and a firm stance from President Obama.

Maybe we should put the laser focus of our attempts to be included in the negotiations happening on the POTUS directly. Problem is? How.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 pm

The President has indicated he is "open" to a second stimulus as part of the debt ceiling negotiations. News is starting to come out now that as of today, anyone who becomes unemployed will not be eligible for extended benefits, and those that are currently receiving EUC cannot move to another tier after 12/24.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/unemployment-no-extended-benefits_n_887656.html

There is no way they can let millions of people go without a lifeline after December. It will be catastrophic on the economy. They have to be considering this during their negotiations - it would not make sense not to, because when the deadline draws near, the GOP answer will be "find a way to pay for it".

In that article from the HuffPo, NELP (which hasn't done anything for the LTU) is starting to speak out about the expiration of deadlines. We need to make sure that the provisions of HR 589 are included in any reauthorization of EUC08.

Just my opinion, but if the continuation of the current program is not included in the debt ceiling deal, there will be no more extensions. I am hoping that our leaders are taking that into consideration during these negotiations.

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by knarf Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:57 pm

For every action, there is an equal or opposite reaction.

The problem with Congress today is, they are looking at the reaction as opposed to the action. No one wants to commit to the action, for fear of pissing someone off, and yet, that someone is a non entity. They are the outsource kings who could care less if our country goes in the drink just so they can squeeze that last nickle out of our collective azzes. Not quite sure if we could pull off a WPA program today, but "CETA" could happen with a simple stoke of a pen if our leaders would/could grow a pair. I fully agree, Liz. We need to push for another CETA program like we had in the early eighties.

knarf
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi Exhausted99er/DesperateinRI,

Actually my thoughts were just that - only random thoughts - just brainstorming a few little bills that *might* actually have a real chance of quiet-passage through "John Boehner's House." Otherwise, what is the par value - to 99ers - to introduce bills that we know will arrive at House Subcommittee already DOA?

Now, regarding your specific question about a bill that might be of some help to at least some middle-aged single-99ers, I will throw out one suggestion . . . merely to prime the pump to encourage other DAWU Members to brainstorm the subject:

If we extrapolate upon the "housing voucher" idea I'd mentioned earlier, the utility of the bill for the subgroup you've mentioned (middle-aged single-99ers) would be in having multiple middle-aged single-99ers pool their vouchers - in order to re-inhabit some of the many presently-vacant foreclosed homes in kind of a "clustered housing" situation. That might meet with approval by some of the banks that are presently holding the notes on multitudes of vacant homes . . .

Why would some banks be interested in this idea?

Two reasons.

First, because this measure could prevent such vacant homes from being co-opted by gangs or other riff-raff . . . with all the vandalism and other destruction attendent with such squatting.

Second, because some banks might prefer getting even a little income on the vacant homes they're holding rather than the zero-income they're getting right now.

If some *banks* liked the idea (and the pitch would be made to them first - not to Washington), Boehner's House might be amenable also.

WW

BTW, Exhausted99er/DesperateinRI, without the active and full support of one (or more) interests that contribute substantially to GOP Representatives' campaign-chests, the Republicans in the House Of Representatives (or "HOR" for short) won't move "immediately" to authorize funding for ANYTHING - most especially for (LOL) additional funding of human services for American Citizens. That's why I suggested a bill with a tie-in to banks holding tons of foreclosed homes. So, if a bill such as I've suggested actually does pass through the House, it'll be due to bank "greed," not 99er "need."
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exhausted99er Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 pm

concernedinKY wrote:
Exhausted99er wrote:
concernedinKY wrote:

Maybe we should put the laser focus of our attempts to be included in the negotiations happening on the POTUS directly. Problem is? How.
Here is a start:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/06/30/askobama-first-ever-twitter-townhall-white-house

The White House is all a-Twitter about an exciting event that's happening next week. On Wednesday, July 6th at 2pm ET, President Obama will answer your questions in the first ever Twitter Town Hall at the White House, and you're invited. Starting today, you can tweet your questions about jobs and the economy using the hashtag #AskObama and follow @townhall for the latest updates. Then, come back to watch the President respond to your questions in a live event moderated by Jack Dorsey, Twitter co-founder and Executive Chairman.

And also, the President is managing his own Twitter and Facebook accounts, just in time for the 2012 election season.

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2011/06/18/president-obama-to-start-tweeting-personally-not-just-his-pr-people-the-man-himself/?awesm=tnw.to_19IAa&utm_content=spreadus_master&utm_medium=tnw.to-other&utm_source=twitter.com

Exhausted99er
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:22 pm

So, if a bill such as I've suggested actually does pass through the House, it'll be due to bank "greed," not 99er "need."Action plan. 387-67
worrywartValued PosterThat is the secret WW. We have to convince the Republicans that they can make money off the rest of society.

Put us back to work for less pay and no benefits is one of them. They keep bringing in cheap immigrants, so that steals many of our jobs that citizens out of work could do.

Our country should not have any immigration, legal or illegal until the real unemployment number has been dropped drastically.

Why the immigration is not mention in the federal deficit is a real mystery!

Action plan. Empty

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cougarlover Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:42 am

Great point regarding failure to mention immigration!

cougarlover
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Lovin the elusive ladies

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:29 am

How about a push to reduce the age for Medicare to 60 or even 55? I am sure that there are a lot of people 55-64 who would like (and are pretty much able, perhaps with some frugality) to retire or work only part-time, but who hang in there until 65 because they cannot afford to leave their company's health insurance plan. A whole lot of jobs might open up fairly quickly in a wide range of fields. This idea, of course, is directly opposite the proposals that would make people wait until age 67 for Medicare.

I think that AARP would love this idea since a lot of their members are in the age 50-64 demographic.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:58 am

worrywart wrote:Hi Exhausted99er/DesperateinRI,

Onto another subject, it was a surprise to my eyes to see that you wrote that AARP has changed their stance towards Social Security cuts ?

Could you please provide a link, and, if the article(s) are very long, an "executive summary" so to speak of the particulars? My mother and many in my church would be very interested to hear more about this. Is this information contained in AARP's website?

WW

There is quite a storm raging on AARP's Facebook page. A lot of members are unhappy with what appears to be a retreat on the part of AARP regarding changes to SS and Medicare. Even the most innocent Facebook threads are taken over by very, very angry members. AARP has not done a very good job of addressing that anger IMHO. It could be that AARP's being hauled before the House scared them, but now many of their members are enraged over AARP's apparent/alleged change of position regarding SS and Medicare changes.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next