Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Cspan_live_play-1

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich

+2
Phillymg
gigichicago
6 posters

Go down

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Empty Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich

Post by gigichicago Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Let's applaud Orrin Hatch! What a guy!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/orrin-hatch-debt-poor-rich_n_892177.html

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  822786
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Empty Re: Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich

Post by Phillymg Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 am

The really confusing thing is that the HP article about Sen. Orrin Hatch's remarks doesn't mention the big US corporations that pay zero taxes or a tiny rate (1.1%) of taxes.

http://sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=67562604-8280-4D56-8AF4-A27F59D70DE5

Exxon Mobile
Bank of America
GE
Chevron
Boeing
Valero
Goldman Sachs
Citigroup
ConocoPhillips
Carnival Cruise Lines

People in general & US Senators & HuffPost reporters in particular are entitled to their own opinions.....but not to their own facts.....

Sen. Hatch wants to discuss that 51% of Americans don't pay income tax. Ok I get it. But is that 51% of individuals or 51% of households?? Hatch doesn't specify--& neither does the HP article. Housewives who stay home to raise the kids & don't earn income obviously don't pay taxes unless they file jointly with their husbands--is he saying that if they're not super-rich to afford nannies & such that moms of young kids should all go to work & pay taxes??

Anyways.....it's logically impossible to discuss the *overall topic* of who is & isn't paying taxes without considering the ultra-rich corporations that don't pay any taxes or only pay at a teeny-tiny tax rate. Wonder why the HP reporter Michael McAuliff lets him get away with doing that.....I mean I can somewhat understand Hatch's unwillingness to say anything negative at all about the big corps.....but McAuliff should have brought up the big corporations that pay zero or low taxes.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich  Empty Re: Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich

Post by truth Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 am

Also, people who are unemployed, retired, and disabled generally don't pay income tax. It seems fair to me. No income = no income tax. That's my situation. If Sen. Hatch wants to see more people paying taxes, he should work on jobs for us unemployed. Weren't those continued tax cuts for the top 3% supposed to take care of the jobs problem?

Indeed, those poor corporations that manage to avoid paying a penny in taxes must be on the verge of bankruptcy. Maybe they need more subsidies. I wonder how much their top management is being paid?

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:01 am

Stupid is as stupid does.

Senator Hatch has broken all "Laws of Stupidity." and the some.

With a Senator like this, we could be paying 100% of the taxes and that is not enough. We sure know who side he is on. He is so stupid that he makes George W Bush a financial genius. Only idiots could believe this old fool. I would be embarrassed if he was my Senator.

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 am

WOW.....This is really smart.....Let the poor people who make nothing pay more taxes and let the rich people have a tax break.......Do they take into account that people who are not working pay no taxes....maybe they should focus all of their attention on creating jobs.....instead of trying to balance the worlds problems on the backs of the poor.......
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I think that yes the corporations should pay more in taxes, but on the other hand there are people who should be paying taxes who aren't. Way too many people don't pay their fair share, rich, middle class and even poor. By me saying poor I am talking specifically about the welfare poor who get paid under the table. These people should be taxed. However, so should the wealthier people. I would actually get rid of many of the tax breaks for couples with kids.

Btw, there are actually quite a few men who are staying home to raise kids, but most people (male and female)don't stay home to raise kids. Many of those who are have money and yes they probably should pay more in taxes.

However, yes corporations should pay more, especially ones who aren't paying anything or those sending jobs overseas.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down