Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Cspan_live_play-1

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation

5 posters

Go down

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Empty Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation

Post by worrywart Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am

By CBS Chicago | Local Chicago – 8:25am CST Wednesday, August 03, 2011

"Ahead of the key government employment report for July, which comes out Friday, there are ominous signs today that more people are losing their jobs."

To read more, go to: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/chicago/ominous-signs-surging-layoffs-illinois-nation-132147422.html?bouchon=602,il

WW
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Empty Re: Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation

Post by CLO Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am

I hope that the media, now that they can't exclusively focus on the debt-ceiling mess, will start focusing on unemployment- the numbers are going to go through the roof before year's end- as if it isn't hard enough to find a job now, it is going to be impossible, especially if you are older...what a nightmare!
CLO
CLO
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Customer service/ healthcare

Back to top Go down

Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation Empty Re: Ominous signs of surging layoffs in Illinois, nation

Post by worrywart Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 am

Hi CLO,

I'm fairly certain that our mass media, who are directly (or indirectly) influenced by multi-national corporations, can suggest many other news-stories to bring to the American public that are of far more critical and pressing nature than "unemployment."

For instance, shouldn't we be giving hourly news-coverage to spotlight the urgent need for an arms treaty between the United States and Belgium? Or, what about an ongoing expose into the private lives of bartenders of America's hottest singles' clubs? I mean, if the media has to cover something related to the workforce, maybe they can run a warming honorific on America's job-assistance programs for Egyptians or even a cutsie human interest story on India's efforts to get their tele-reps to speak Americanzed English . . . funny-funny!

WW

p.s., Don't you just love Kate's new dress? She makes such a divine Princess . . . don't you think?

Last edited by worrywart on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:18 pm

worrywart wrote:Hi CLO,

I'm fairly certain that our mass media, who are directly (or indirectly) influenced by multi-national corporations, can suggest many other news-stories to bring to the American public that are of far more critical and pressing nature than "unemployment."

For instance, shouldn't we be giving hourly news-coverage to spotlight the urgent need for an arms treaty between the United States and Belgium? Or, what about an ongoing expose into the private lives of bartenders of America's hottest singles' clubs? I mean, if the media has to cover something related to the workforce, maybe they can run a warming honorific on America's job-assistance programs for Egyptians or even a cutsie human interest story on India's efforts to get their tele-reps to speak Americanzed English . . . funny-funny!

WW

p.s., Don't you just love Kate's new dress? She makes such a divine Princess . . . don't you think?

Hey an arms package between the US and Belgium is very important because Belgians may throw their waffles at us and then what? Very Happy

Seriously though the media is being told what to say and the sad reality is the media groups are laying off more people. I'll be honest and admit that I get both the Sun-Times and the Tribune and read a lot more of the fluffy topics. It's not that I don't read the heavier stuff, it just frustrates me. I use the internet to find the heavier topics because to be honest I don't trust the mainstream media. I say this having been in the media myself.

Here's something rarely talked about in the media and that is how many of the media companies themselves are starting ot outsource. Yep, I've heard (from valid sources)that many of the media jobs from editing and proofreading to subscriptions are going overseas. In fact I got a call from India asking me to subscribe to a local paper (forget which one).
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Well of course they won't delve into unemployment then, as they are as guilty as anyone they may report on..most sources don't practice 'self-policing", that's for sure... but WW is right, as usual- why print anything of substance, since they believe the average American is as dumb as a box of rocks..
CLO
CLO
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Customer service/ healthcare

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Because the average American is dumber than a box of rocks (no offense to the box of rocks). I've become used to stupidity and that's why I generally loathe most people.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gigichicago Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:50 pm

The average American is dumber than a box of rocks to put up with Washington's stupidity. I heard that Obama wants Congress to concentrate on the job situation now that the debt ceiling has been passed. Many Amercans have lost their homes, savings and families and now they want to help the unemployed. A little too late in my opinion. What can they do now?

Governor Quinn (IL) just signed the Dream Act? Any news about helping the unemployed in Illinois? No, I think the situation will become worse.
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Don't get me started about the Dream Act. In theory it's not a bad thing, but I just know it will lead to legalizing people in Illinois which could mean EVEN more competition. As far as I'm concerned Quinn is a waste of a governor.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by worrywart Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi gigichicago,

You know, last year I had someone I knew actually approach me for my support for the Dream (Nightmare) Act . . .

I replied that I wouldn't mind supporting the Dream Act if they - in turn - wouldn't mind it if someone burglarized their house and the burglar's kids were allowed to keep the loot. I mean, why should the kids be punished for their parent's crime and have to return the stolen goods their burglar parents worked so hard to steal for them? isn't that the American Dream ?. 'It's not fair !' "

A year later they still give me funny looks : - )

WW
worrywart
worrywart
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:20 pm

worrywart wrote:Hi gigichicago,

You know, last year I had someone I knew actually approach me for my support for the Dream (Nightmare) Act . . .

I replied that I wouldn't mind supporting the Dream Act if they - in turn - wouldn't mind it if someone burglarized their house and the burglar's kids were allowed to keep the loot. I mean, why should the kids be punished for their parent's crime and have to return the stolen goods their burglar parents worked so hard to steal for them? isn't that the American Dream ?. 'It's not fair !' "

WW

That's a great comeback and I'll have to remember that. I am strongly opposed to illegal immigration but it's obvious the politicians don't care. What angers me are that I know people who come here legally yet they had to go through so much to do so. My paternal grandmother was a British citizen married to an American citizen yet she had to jump through hoops. Yet now we are catering to a group here illegally, who often don't speak English and many go on welfare. In fact I read a stat that said 75% of all people on Medicaid in Illinois are illegals and their children. That makes me sick that we can't help our own but help people who shouldn't be here.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

worrywart wrote:Hi gigichicago,

WW

This is off topic as well, but if politicians told the truth about the effects of proposed legislation how would that go over?

Instead of going off to fight "freedom haters" what if they were told that in order for a very small minority of economicly elite people to maintain their wealth and powerbase

they were being asked to go find fight and kill people in a far away place who have mainly been cajoled through the same type of fear and manipulation to think that you the soldier coming to "FREE" them is actually the devil incarnate him/herself....

For the vast 90+ percent of humans wars involve nothing but death, misery and suffering...only those at the top benefit....

What if they were told that "we must globalize" our economy really means gutting our middleclass and bringing DOWN wages globaly.....tough sell there..

The difference between IDEALISM and reality is very large indeed
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum