Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Advocating. Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Advocating. Cspan_live_play-1

Advocating. Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Advocating.

+3
Feyth
Phillymg
concernedinKY
7 posters

Go down

Advocating. Empty Advocating.

Post by concernedinKY Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Please keep conversation limited to advocating efforts and ideas for H.R. 589. Think it's going to pass or don't think it's going to pass? Take that sort of conversation to debate.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Advocating. Empty Re: Advocating.

Post by Phillymg Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 am

Imo 03/01/11 is a really important & sad anniversary. That's when the 1st of the exhaustees including 99ers lost their eligibility to claim UI. Would it be a good idea to aim for some kind of action on March 1st??

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Good idea, Philly! Anyone have any ideas! This is a great opportunity to shed more light on the unemployment crisis.

Advocating. 583654

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm

MARCH 1ST

The Saddest Anniversary

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:36 pm

And I believe the new budget must be passed by March 5th?

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Feyth!! glad to see you found the site Very Happy

good point about the anniversary philly...we should definitely work on something for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Phillymg wrote:Imo 03/01/11 is a really important & sad anniversary. That's when the 1st of the exhaustees including 99ers lost their eligibility to claim UI. Would it be a good idea to aim for some kind of action on March 1st??

Any ideas! This truly is a sad anniversary and a great opportunity to make our voices heard!

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 am

Once we have our *UI EXHAUSTEES CLOCK* (which hopefully Jim can make for us??) we can call for a March 1st Action Day along with the clock.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryKayCoyne Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 am

Another fax attack should happen, even if it's not on the 1st. Maybe we should coordinate with G on an Anniversary Blitz.

MaryKayCoyne
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Unemployed Operations Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 am

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 am

MaryKayCoyne wrote:Another fax attack should happen, even if it's not on the 1st. Maybe we should coordinate with G on an Anniversary Blitz.

Fax Campaign! Great idea! For those who don't have fax machines, try using Twitter, it is easy and we could jam their faxes and twitter all day to give them something to think about!

Seriously folks, I am not a computer whiz by any means and I taught myself how to tweet in a couple of minutes. I'm still learning, and am no expert, but if we could hit that whole twitter list of House Members, along with faxing them, in one day, that would be a great way to get our voice heard!

Think about it. Isn't that how Egypt gained their "freedom"?

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 am

MaryKayCoyne wrote:Another fax attack should happen, even if it's not on the 1st. Maybe we should coordinate with G on an Anniversary Blitz.

Yes....I agree
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wowwhathappen Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

concernedinKY wrote:Please keep conversation limited to advocating efforts and ideas for H.R. 589. Think it's going to pass or don't think it's going to pass? Take that sort of conversation to debate.

GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE...............

we need to push hard....the REPUBS stated they want major cuts this year including unemployment

we have no REPUBS support for this bill
should be first thing we do.......contact them

wowwhathappen
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Where is the most recent list of co-sponsors? I looked here: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h589/show

I called my rep last week to become a co-sponsor. He's a dem & member of the CBC and want to make sure he signs on.

Thanks!

Never mind, DIRH posted in another thread. Lacy Clay needs to get on board!

Last edited by MoInSTL on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoInSTL
MoInSTL
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:

Fax Campaign! Great idea! For those who don't have fax machines, try using Twitter, it is easy and we could jam their faxes and twitter all day to give them something to think about!

Seriously folks, I am not a computer whiz by any means and I taught myself how to tweet in a couple of minutes. I'm still learning, and am no expert, but if we could hit that whole twitter list of House Members, along with faxing them, in one day, that would be a great way to get our voice heard!

Think about it. Isn't that how Egypt gained their "freedom"?
Advocating. 55524

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

MARCH 1ST IS THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST EXHAUSTEES/99ERS.

PLEASE POST IDEAS ABOUT AN UNEMPLOYED 'PROTEST' HERE ON THIS THREAD.

THANX!!
Very Happy

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Well FWIW, I just spent close to 45 minutes on the phone with someone
from one of the Speaker's local office. If you want this bill to ever
come out of committee and see the light of day we all better be calling,
everyday, all day long and in numbers, as many as we can. So my suggestion is some kind of call in campaign focusing on Republican leadership, starting with the Speaker
and probably Cantor too. Every day all day period if you want this to
happen or anything to happen re: jobs, quite honestly. I hate posting this but it is going to be a fight, I can sure tell you that.

http://www.johnboehner.house.gov/Contact/

Today no one is answering the Troy/Miami Co. number, maybe they were at
lunch. There is also a contact at the bottom right for emails if you
don't have minutes.
Honestly, people I tried. I think I may have made some in roads and he
did say he would talk to the Speaker about not just this bill but also
the way he stood silent while the unemployed were demonized by the Right
last year and I asked for a public apology and a stop to the demonization of the unemployed peopleĀ  and this business about all these jobs Boehner campaigned on too. Yeah, I brought IT ALL up. EVERYTHING. I am fed up to the hilt and they know it.

I am calling back next week to follow up on getting the unemployed a 'seat at the table', which was this man's idea, which was probably just to appease me I am sure.

I will put myself out there to speak with them because I can't hardly stand them and it's hard for me to talk with them but I sure would appreciate some help with some phone calls. I feel the emails to the Speaker and Cantor will just be round filed after speaking with them. We have to get on the phone and our stories, our friends stories, I feel when I spoke to them would be the most effective.

That plus I mentioned my personal campaign I have been working onĀ  to get unemployed/poor people in this district aware of the issues and to the polls in 2012. And they can take that to the bank, that's going to happen.

Also be nice, they are very sensitive to upset unemployed people and their friends calling.
I'll post this elsewhere so everyone is aware and then I am taking a break to get the BP down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for calling, Abbie. I'm very proud of you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:59 pm

firstcoyote wrote:Thanks for calling, Abbie. I'm very proud of you!

Thanks. I would love to see them try and blow 1000's of unemployed people off. They need a fire lit under them so they get to work doing ALL THE PEOPLE'S business not just the TP's, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm

They need more that fire!
Thanks Abbie will do some calling.

Is that the best thing calling cause I have been emailing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

laramel wrote:They need more that fire!
Thanks Abbie will do some calling.

Is that the best thing calling cause I have been emailing.

It is JMO after speaking with someone from the Speaker's office, emailing isn't going to get it. We have to call the Leadership offices in huge numbers Boehner and Cantor, that is all there is to it. If we don't get on the phone or go to our representatives town halls and meetings and start speaking up for ourselves, especially the Repubs meetings...well I don't know what will happen but I fear nothing will for us anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm all for faxing, calling, and emailing, but I think we need to do something more. I have to give this some thought. More non-violent public demonstrations, maybe? I'm not advocating violence. That's not going to help.

I'm an exhaustee, so there's nothing they can hold over my head as far as withholding benefits. I do suspect that some folks who are still receiving bennies are leery of more active public demonstrations because they fear they might lose their benefits, and you know what? They may be right. When I was on EB there was a rule that people had to be "available all the hours for all the kinds of work" one was looking for. Since the state mandated that people had to look for all types of employment outside their chosen field, jobs like convenience store clerk, I took that to mean 24/7.

I've heard of one 99er group that plans to lash an exhaustee onto a wooden cross for Easter, and place those crosses out in public places. Seemed a little extreme to me first time I heard it, but that certainly would get media attention.

I'm not going to debate anyone about that particular tactic or any others. I'm just saying we have to get more creative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum