Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Cspan_live_play-1

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers

+9
Angelika
Phillymg
lendmeflight2
Jen
ET
Sunrise
unemployed2long/1208
zeke
JaneWI
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Empty Providence plans to pink slip all teachers

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:29 pm

http://www.projo.com/news/content/providence_teacher_layoffs_02-23-11_MCML6R3_v17.1a1cc6d.html

Things getting really crazy out there boys and girls.

Back to top Go down

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Empty Re: Providence plans to pink slip all teachers

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 pm

I read that earlier today and was just amazed.

Back to top Go down

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers Empty Re: Providence plans to pink slip all teachers

Post by JaneWI Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 pm

It looks like this is going to come up for a vote tomorrow.

In a letter sent to all teachers Tuesday, Supt. Tom Brady wrote that the Providence School Board on Thursday will vote on a resolution to dismiss every teacher, effective the last day of school.

JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 pm

knarf wrote:http://www.projo.com/news/content/providence_teacher_layoffs_02-23-11_MCML6R3_v17.1a1cc6d.html

“You need so many teachers. You have a student-teacher ratio of 26 to 1. Do the math."
How do they set that ratio? Is that negotiated? Is that one of the collective bargaining rights?
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 pm

They are saying that they don't know how much the school budget is going to be cut, so they are going to vote to dismiss all teachers. The teachers' union contract expires at the end of June. It looks like they didn't want to wait that long.

What better way to get rid of the union than to dismiss all union teachers before if they know all the cuts are needed?

"Taveras, in a statement issued Tuesday night, said the uncertainty around the city’s finances, combined with the March 1 deadline, led to this decision. Because it is too early to be certain of all possible changes to the school budget, Taveras said, issuing dismissal notices to all teachers “provides maximum flexibility” going forward."

Maximum flexibility meaning no unions?
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:44 pm

zeke wrote:
knarf wrote:http://www.projo.com/news/content/providence_teacher_layoffs_02-23-11_MCML6R3_v17.1a1cc6d.html

“You need so many teachers. You have a student-teacher ratio of 26 to 1. Do the math."
How do they set that ratio? Is that negotiated? Is that one of the collective bargaining rights?

Not in the school districts I worked in. The PTA is the major player in getting the ratio's lowered.

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Well unfortunately its welcome to the world of reality! I wonder how may of those who has in the past couple of years has said those lazy unemployed sitting back wanting a handout and why don't they look for a job etc etc!!! Well many many folks are entering this world of reality of unemployment. The good news is they have maybe 99 weeks of possible hope however if they experience the same things we have then well now you people know how we feel! Many more will be entering this world soon. So wonder what their take will be if and hen it happens! I am sure there are many who has said they feel their jobs are safe! No job is safe today!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:54 pm

I bet we see a lot more college type lecture halls in high school in the coming years...How many people in those kind of classes?
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm

zeke wrote:I bet we see a lot more college type lecture halls in high school in the coming years...How many people in those kind of classes?

Ya gotta think bigger than that. How about a cyber teacher. One teacher to teach a whole entire nation.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 pm

knarf wrote:
zeke wrote:I bet we see a lot more college type lecture halls in high school in the coming years...How many people in those kind of classes?

Ya gotta think bigger than that. How about a cyber teacher. One teacher to teach a whole entire nation.
That is available now, isn't it? Man, I would of loved that. I ended up with a GED when I was 17... long story.
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm

My youngest is now being home schooled. Logs onto a site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm

This has got to unprecedented! My jaw dropped when I read this - absolutely ludicrous! Shocked
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 pm

My take on it is they have to give notice by March 1st, doesn't mean all or any are gone yet.
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

zeke wrote:My take on it is they have to give notice by March 1st, doesn't mean all or any are gone yet.

Thats a pretty heavy head game knowing contract negotiations are about to begin.
I call that, intimidation.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Thats a pretty heavy head game knowing contract negotiations are about to begin.
Agreed. Maybe they can get 70,000 people to drive out from WI and beat drums and march with signs...
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Absolutely horrendous.
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er, Graphic Designer, Fine Artist, Scuba Diver, Swimmer, Tennis

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

zeke wrote:

Agreed. Maybe they can get 70,000 people to drive out from WI and beat drums and march with signs...

The wind hasn't kicked up yet. You can bet this fire is gonna spread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Who is going to teach the children?
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Pink Floyd (just kidding).
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er, Graphic Designer, Fine Artist, Scuba Diver, Swimmer, Tennis

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

ET wrote:Pink Floyd (just kidding).
lol!
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

So they are just going to fire all their union teachers and replace them with new grads who will work for nothing?
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:So they are just going to fire all their union teachers and replace them with new grads who will work for nothing?

Bingo and with no union protections.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 pm

I bet there are plenty of young teachers who would do it too. My cousin is a laid off teacher. The state of NC does not allow it's public workers to have unions so they just dump teachers whenever they want to. This state is probably full of teachers who would go up there and teach for a lot less than the union pay.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 pm

The Providence school board will vote on the resolution tomorrow--Thursday. It depends on the make-up of the school board whether the mass firings of nearly 2,000 Teachers will actually happen. Or NOT.

The article says that Mayor Angel Taveras is behind the move to have the school board vote on this proposal. It's really curious that the Mayor isn't proposing to similarly fire any of the Police, Firefighters, & Refuse Collectors. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Taveras went after the Refuse Collectors like he's doing to the Teachers?? I can only imagine what the reaction of the Refuse Collectors would be.....

Every little tinpot dictator is running after Governor Walker of WI. Taveras doesn't realize that the Police, Firefighters, & Refuse Collectors *know* they're next on his list & will support the Teachers.

Supposedly this Suspect is a Democrat.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Taveras

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 am

The vote passed and they are sending out pink slips to almost all of the teachers just in case they need to fire them.

"The school board of Rhode Island's financially troubled capital city has voted to send termination letters to all of its nearly 2,000 teachers after city officials said the move would give them "maximum flexibility" to make budget cuts."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-providence-teachers-20110225,0,6911223.story
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next