Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Cspan_live_play-1

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes

+2
concernedinKY
pbrad009
6 posters

Go down

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Empty Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 am

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/02/28/2549874/five-ways-the-unemployed-can-lower.html

Back to top Go down

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Empty Re: Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes

Post by pbrad009 Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Hello all, first time on this forum.

I couldn't open the link.

I do have a suggestions to lower your taxes, just in case they were not mentioned in the article :

Max out your 401K contributions.

Another one would be contribute more to your favorite 501c3 corporation(s). Give 'til it hurts!!

If you're stuck with a mortgage, make sure you itemize on your 1040 and include the interest you paid. It really adds up.

Buy insulation and replacement windows for your home. You can deduct 30% of the materials cost.

Hopes this helps!!

Pbrad009 Very Happy

Last edited by pbrad009 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarify wording)

pbrad009
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes Empty Re: Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes

Post by concernedinKY Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Welcome aboard!

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes 560370

The link issue doesn't appear to be you being new, btw. It doesn't work for me either.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 pm

It's weird that everything that we read last year had said that they got rid of the "making work pay" $400 tax credit for 2010 and that it was only for 2009. I don't know why everything said that but, I know several people that have gotten it for 2010.

I filed my husband's taxes on a free e-file site yesterday and it said that the credit was good for both 2009 and 2010. He started a crappy part time job in Aug. and will only get $250 of it. The unemployment checks that he drew from Jan. to March that he didn't have taxes taken out of wasn't enough money to have to owe any taxes on it.

Here's the really strange thing that happened. Today it says that his federal return wasn't accepted because someone else claimed him on their taxes. WTF!! How did someone get his SS# and why would they claim him on their taxes?

It also said that the state one didn't have any mistakes but, that it can't be accepted for e-file until the federal one is. WTF!! They already took the $14.95 out of our account to pay for the state e-file and it was the last of our money.

The federal one said that if your return is correct and there wasn't really a mistake that you must print it out and mail it. I don't have any ink for my printer and can't afford any ink. What am I supposed to do? This really sucks! Also, if I do find a way to go ahead and print it out and mail it, are they going to then go ahead and process the state one for the e-file that we already paid for? If I just stop now and do it all on paper forms and mail them in, I wonder if they are going to give me my $14.95 back!

Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes 828322 Five ways the unemployed can lower their taxes 812460

I also wonder if this is just the IRS testing us because I had claimed him on my taxes one year. I wonder if they are just making sure that I don't plan on claiming him this year. It really doesn't make any sense. I haven't filed mine yet and am afraid to because I drew unemployment checks the entire year and didn't have any taxes taken out.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Looking4Ajob Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:22 pm

You can go to your local library and they have computers you can print it from. For free. Try that. I've done it before, of course it was years before I had my own printer but they do allow it. I think where I went I printed up to 75 sheets before they started charging. Anyway, it's a thought. Or go to a friends or relatives home that has a printer. As for the 14.95 Seems like they should give your money back, but I too paid it for my daughter, and because they held taxes out for the state she worked in, and not the state she lived in, we got charged then could only print, efile wasnt allowed. They didn't tell us this first. Not that it would have mattered. We had to print it and mail it anyway.Hope that helps
Looking4Ajob
Looking4Ajob
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Unemployed 12/15/2010 Hired 2/28/2011 It's a miracle

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 pm

""Here's the really strange thing that happened. Today it says that his federal return wasn't accepted because someone else claimed him on their taxes. WTF!! How did someone get his SS# and why would they claim him on their taxes?""

If someone else filed a claim with his SS number and it was processed and already cashed, there certainly is a record of it...

If someone used his data to file a jointly or has him listed as a dpendant or something there is also a record of that..

But Call the IRS and find out whats going on...

Double check all the ID numbers social securiity as well as FEIN numbers...and refile with another site...
I wouldn't be surprised if someone else made a mistake on a return and screwed things up with an E-file return..

The local library in my area (Ohio) lets you print 5 copies of anything for free and 5 cents a copy after that....Staples will print stuff for about 10cents a page...probably any other store similar to staples will do the same...

But call the IRS to determine exactly whats going on....

And yes everybody I know also has gotten the $400 if they worked that is...
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Someone just told me that we can now file our state taxes for free on our state's website. They told me this last year and I totally forgot. I am kicking myself right now!!!!
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/five-ways-the-unemployed-can-lower-their-taxes-117091428.html

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down