Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Cspan_live_play-1

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed

4 posters

Go down

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Empty Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed

Post by Jen Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/24/christina-romer-shameful_n_840074.html

On Tuesday, the Obama administration's former top economic advisor expressed her frustration with the government for not doing enough to help unemployed Americans.

“I frankly don’t understand why policy makers aren’t more worried
about the suffering of real families,” Christina Romer, former chair of
the Council of Economic Advisors said at a discussion at Vanderbilt
University, according to Politico. "I think there are tools we have that we can use, and I think it’s shameful that we’re not using them."

Speaking at the university in Nashville on Tuesday, Romer called 8.9
percent unemployment "an absolute crisis," adding that there were
fiscally responsible ways to help unemployed Americans, without adding
to the deficit, Politico reported.

As she was leaving the Obama administration last September, Romer, now professor of economics at the University of California, Berkley, called for
more government spending and fewer taxes. She also called on the
government to invest in infrastructure and make new trade agreements.

Romer reportedly said the government could, for example, extend the payroll tax break to employers, while also passing a deficit reduction plan, Politico reported.

Last November, the house of representatives failed to pass an
extension on unemployment insurance benefits for Americans who have been
employed for six months or longer, dubbed
"99ers" after the maximum 99 weeks of benefits available in some
states. Politicians argued that the spending needed to be offset by
savings.

According to Federal Reserve officials, the U.S. recovery is slowly picking up speed, as the Fed forges ahead with a $600 billion bond-buying program designed to boost the economy.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Empty Re: Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed

Post by Kimmymc Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Wow, someone gets it.
Kimmymc
Kimmymc
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Genealogy, Exercise

Back to top Go down

Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  Empty Re: Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm

“I frankly don’t understand why policy makers aren’t more worried
University, according to Politico. "I think there are tools we have that we can use, and I think it’s shameful that we’re not using them."

If top economist see it maybe they will continue to speak out, something has to give.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmymc Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:“I frankly don’t understand why policy makers aren’t more worried

If top economist see it maybe they will continue to speak out, something has to give.

Good point N2B! Christina Romer, Former Top Economist: Administration 'Shamefully' Ignoring Unemployed  704725
Kimmymc
Kimmymc
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Genealogy, Exercise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Kimmymc wrote:Wow, someone gets it.

It's too bad she isn't whispering (or maybe at this point shouting) it into Congress and the President's ear.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 am

Glad to see someone else step up and speak out.
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down