Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Cspan_live_play-1

The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

The Unemployed have been screwed again

+7
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
needajobinky
TR11005
Jenny
stansmad
unemployed2long/1208
batazoid
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Empty Re: The Unemployed have been screwed again

Post by aloneinNY51 Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
knarf wrote:On the other site was a IRS thread on how to go about filing for extensions, and the like. Is that original poster here, and if so, can you re-post this important info?

All that info was pulled. I will try to find it on the IRS website and post. Great idea, by the way. Without that 2,400 exemption this year, a lot of folks are going to owe money they don't have.

I'm not that poster - but I saw your question.
It is Form 4868 -which you can download at the IRS website or pick one up wherever you get your forms and Instruction booklets
(I get mine at the local Library).
The form itself is less than half a page - and it comes with it's own instructions. I'ts pretty basic and simple. You don't have to give any reason for asking for an extension and it is granted AUTOMATICALLY. That extends your time for 6 months (taking you to October). HOWEVER - if you OWE any taxes - they are still DUE in April (THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER - but that's the way it is). The extension simply means that they will be leaving you alone about it until October - and probably for a while after that
because of the number of people who file extensions - but don't DEPEND on that. The thing to be careful about is that October
sneaks up on you VERY QUICKLY. Been there - done that. I hope this helps.

aloneinNY51
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Empty Re: The Unemployed have been screwed again

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks alone, but I do remember someone saying you can actually extend it out for almost a 1.5 years. Unless I read it wrong, which I've been known to do on many occasions.

Back to top Go down

Post by aloneinNY51 Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

knarf wrote:Thanks alone, but I do remember someone saying you can actually extend it out for almost a 1.5 years. Unless I read it wrong, which I've been known to do on many occasions.

That may be right I'm just not familiar with it. I hope it's true - a lot of folks are in need. Of course - the taxes themselves
are still owed and possibly interest and penalties. It stinks when you're stuck like that.

aloneinNY51
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by batazoid Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm

If you claim a hardship. But merely because you can't pay and you and the IRS have both agreed to enter into a negotiated settlement, is not a "hardship" in the eyes of the IRS -- is my point. Your penalty will still be accruing, even while you are negotiating with the IRS, who may take weeks, if not months, to respon to your latest offer.

ex animo
The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Tumblr_lf89wxb3ja1qe0eclo1_r34_500
davidfarrar

Last edited by batazoid on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
batazoid
batazoid
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm

batazoid wrote:If you claim a hardship. But merely because you can't pay and you and the IRS have both agreed to enter into a negotiated settlement, isn't in the IRS's eyes a ""hardship" is my point, your penalty will still be increasing, even while you are negotiating with the IRS, who may take weeks, if not months, to respon to your.

ex animo
The Unemployed have been screwed again - Page 2 Tumblr_lf89wxb3ja1qe0eclo1_r34_500
davidfarrar

Not true if you follow the proper procedure. Please see the information here, directly from the IRS website. Thank you.
https://dawu.forumotion.com/t281-information-for-filing-extensions-with-the-irs

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by batazoid Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 pm

You could be right. At the time this happen to me...I did still have my house...but they eventually took it, based on my penalty accured while we negotiated.

But if you ain't got nothing...what can they do, throw you in jail? Which may not be all that bad, at least you'll get fed.

ex animo
davidfarrar
batazoid
batazoid
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by new_wave_princess Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:50 pm

I've long exhausted unemployment so I've been dipping into my 401k. I have about $20 in my checking so I'll likely get hit with taxes on my 401k, not to mention additional taxes from Illinois. I hate this. Sadly, Obama has turned out to be just as bad as Bush.
new_wave_princess
new_wave_princess
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I owe money from past years to the IRS. I called in November to tell them that I was unemployed. They can't by law take your unemployment benefits if that is all the income that you have. They put me on a non collect basis for one year. The letter said that I will be in the program for a year and after that they will send me a questionaire and evaluate my situation again. I called them on November the 12th and they sent me the letter yesterday. So it takes about 4 months for them to get around to it I guess. Just keep an eye on it and stay in contact with the IRS. Believe it or not they are actually there to help you. Just don't hide from them.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 pm

OK, Anyone help! I owe 1400. and If I file an extension and can't pay anything when I mail in the extension form. Then say in Oct when the filing has to be sent in.. Can I also in October fill out or request the installment agreement??? I know they will hit me with a late pmt. penalty of .5% per month. from April 15th to Oct. and also the 4% interest back dated to April. But if they allow me to make payments It will not matter.
I am asking this because I wonder if you send nothing and file an extension that may make an installment agreement null. But they say on the web that taxes can be installments any or all Of what you owe!! I also saw where installment agreements is automatic extension.. if you don't owe over 10K and have not filed bankrupsy! So If again I file and extension and know they back date interest and also now penalties to April can I still get the automatic installment agreement???
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Otherwise I will send in April and they are suppose to send you a bill and then you call them and then they approve the installments. And they also may waive penalties if you have good excuse and unemployed is a good excuse! ????
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello anyone???
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum