Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Cspan_live_play-1

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic. The bill is still alive, promise, CiK)

+13
js123
Jen
child of the King
Angelika
wowwhathappen
stilllooking
Feyth
Phillymg
mrgolf
unemployed2long/1208
doreenb
msanonymous222
steveninspokane
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Empty 99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic. The bill is still alive, promise, CiK)

Post by steveninspokane Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/99ers-hr-589-unemployment-legislation-shot-down-in-flames/2399

If this is old, please ignore.

DesperateInRI wrote:

Just
an FYI, the OP posted an article that was released this morning,
shortly after the House adjourned from a session that lasted into the
early morning hours today. Since that time, Gregg Rosen of the 99er's
Union, who has been in constant contact with Rep. Barbara Lee's office
posted what actually happened according to his conversations with Ms.
Lee's staff. The more accurate and updated story can be found:

https://dawu.forumotion.com/t288-hr-589-is-still-alive-the-real-story

Please read both, if you chose and take from them what you want.

Just to re-emphasize -- HR589 is NOT dead, it was a procedural event that occurred and nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by steveninspokane on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
steveninspokane
steveninspokane
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Empty Re: 99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic. The bill is still alive, promise, CiK)

Post by msanonymous222 Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Here is the video from last night (technically this morning's) goings-on on the House floor.

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/housesession4010

Barbara Lee's section begins on the video around 12:45. I contacted her office this morning. They clarified that there was both a bill and an amendment for H.R. 589. With the amendment being ruled against procedurally, the only hope we have is to still get the bill shoved out of Ways and Means and onto floor debate.

One further comment--on the video, don't miss Rep. Jerry Nadler's (D-NY, 8th District) amazing comments starting around 13:00. That man was so spot-on it's not even funny.

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Empty Re: 99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic. The bill is still alive, promise, CiK)

Post by doreenb Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:22 pm

We need to bombarde these senators with calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we demand hr 589 now!!!!!

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110217/bs_nm/us_jobless
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

don't understand!1 Is 589 dead now??? OR what is going on with it!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:don't understand!1 Is 589 dead now??? OR what is going on with it!

No, it isn't dead. It is a procedural thing. Instead of going right to the floor as an amendment, it has to go through committee, where it is now. DON'T PANIC. KEEP CONTACTING YOUR REPS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
unemployed2long/1208 wrote:don't understand!1 Is 589 dead now??? OR what is going on with it!

No, it isn't dead. It is a procedural thing. Instead of going right to the floor as an amendment, it has to go through committee, where it is now. DON'T PANIC. KEEP CONTACTING YOUR REPS!

PLEASE SEE THE "OFFICIAL" UPDATE HERE:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I think the problem everyone is facing is that while the bill is in committee that it may be nearly impossible to get it out of committee because the Republican in charge of the committee is said to be against any and all unemployment extensions.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm

kemcha wrote:I think the problem everyone is facing is that while the bill is in committee that it may be nearly impossible to get it out of committee because the Republican in charge of the committee is said to be against any and all unemployment extensions.
Kemcha. I would like to welcome you to the forum. Look forward to your contributions and advocacy.
99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) Welcom16
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks, mrgolf. While my posts at the old site may have been a little negative, I promise you guys that my contribution here will be a bit on the positive side here.
I'm looking forward to contributing to the new site, provided my time can be appropriately divided between managing my own website and community as well as my contributions to the Huffington Post community.

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Heck, when they even see my name they go oh no!! Here comes negative!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm

1208 was this your old avatar on U-F?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:20 pm

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:Heck, when they even see my name they go oh no!! Here comes negative!

Not true, but, I do remember you, 1208.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

kemcha wrote:
unemployed2long/1208 wrote:Heck, when they even see my name they go oh no!! Here comes negative!

Not true, but, I do remember you, 1208.
Who doesn't? lol!
(Just kidding 1208. We love you and are very happy that you are here) 99ers HR 589 Unemployment Legislation Shot Down In Flames (only not really so much, so make sure you read before you panic.  The bill is still alive, promise, CiK) 829996
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by steveninspokane Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

All these familiar names, it doesn't even feel like I am on a different forum. Except for my lack of a post count.
steveninspokane
steveninspokane
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Admin, somebody needs to rename this topic. The item that was struck down was the budget amendment that included the same thing as HR 589. I think everybody is going to see the topic title and the first few posted messages and think that the actual bill was struck down and defeated.

It conveys the wrong message and will spread panic among the online community.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

PLEASE SEE THE "OFFICIAL" UPDATE HERE:

Just an FYI, the OP posted an article that was released this morning, shortly after the House adjourned from a session that lasted into the early morning hours today. Since that time, Gregg Rosen of the 99er's Union, who has been in constant contact with Rep. Barbara Lee's office posted what actually happened according to his conversations with Ms. Lee's staff. The more accurate and updated story can be found:

Please read both, if you chose and take from them what you want.

Just to re-emphasize -- HR589 is NOT dead, it was a procedural event that occurred and nothing out of the ordinary.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveninspokane Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Desperate, I added your last post to my first post so as to keep down the scare factor. Razz

I admit when I first read it, I figured it was another end, like S. 3706.
steveninspokane
steveninspokane
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 pm

steveninspokane wrote:Desperate, I added your last post to my first post so as to keep down the scare factor. Razz

I admit when I first read it, I figured it was another end, like S. 3706.

You aren't the only one, believe me! Everyone thought is was the end, including me, until I read the transcripts from the Record and heard from G. Thanks for doing that, I appreciate the help!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 pm

That's why I suggested to rename the topic title. It's going to panic everyone because the topic title is very misleading and very negative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 pm

kemcha wrote:That's why I suggested to rename the topic title. It's going to panic everyone because the topic title is very misleading and very negative.

The name of the thread was changed by the OP. He also posted a "disclaimer" next to the article. Although the title of the story is scary, we have presented both sides on this thread. There is also another thread running (or should be active) posted by Gregg Rosen about the actual circumstances of this bill. Folks should be allowed to view both sides and take away what they want from both. I am glad the OP changed the title and edited his first post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:19 pm

kemcha wrote:I think the problem everyone is facing is that while the bill is in committee that it may be nearly impossible to get it out of committee because the Republican in charge of the committee is said to be against any and all unemployment extensions.
In his own words.....the Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee Rep. Dave Camp has expressed full support for federal unemployment benefits so long as they are paid for.

http://camp.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=192748

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Phillymg wrote:
In his own words.....the Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee Rep. Dave Camp has expressed full support for federal unemployment benefits so long as they are paid for.

Thanks for the update, Philly! This should calm some fears.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Phillymg wrote:

Thanks for the update, Philly! This should calm some fears.
Taking a breath in between posting can also be calming, I have found. This will also give mrgolf time to work on his post count, as he is trailing dreadfully behind DinRI at the moment. Smile

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:09 pm

mrgolf wrote:
1208 was this your old avatar on U-F?

Of the 300 I have had, Grandpa was one for a long time!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next