Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Cspan_live_play-1

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009!

+14
mrgolf
jj
requete'
kjps12
needajobinky
sbraney
KeeptheFaith
doreenb
JaneWI
felixsmom
kman
nuttin2lose
Jen
GabrielBerg
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Empty Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009!

Post by GabrielBerg Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 am

Seems like good news all around...

192,000 jobs gained in February is the highest since May 2010 when all the temp Census workers were being hired.
January's numbers were actually revised up to 63,000 from the dismal 36,000 originally reported.

Even the "real" unemployment rate (A15-U6) fell for the third month in a row to 15.9%

alien cheers cheers cheers alien cheers cheers cheers alien

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-04/u-s-payrolls-climbed-192-000-in-february-as-jobless-rate-declined-to-8-9-.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/04/us-usa-economy-idUSTRE71R3OO20110304

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- FEBRUARY 2011
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Economy Gained 192,000 Jobs in February March 4, 2011
http://www.nelp.org/page/-/Press%20Releases/2011/PR.jobs.statement.march.4.pdf?nocdn=1

GabrielBerg
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Empty Re: Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009!

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

It looks like Sunrise guessed correctly that it would be 8.9%

It looks like mrgolf was right that they are going to keep lowering the official unemployment rate until it gets down below 8% even without the jobs so, Obama can get reelected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41903404/
It would take up to 300,000 new jobs a month on a consistent basis to
reduce the unemployment rate significantly, economists say. But few
analysts think monthly job gains in the 300,000-plus range could be
repeated month after month.

They say right in the article that it would take 300,000 per month to lower the rate but, we have not ever had anywhere near that and it has went from 9.8 to 8.9 in a few months just because they subtracted more "discouraged workers" from the workforce.

I wish the rate going down was good news but, unfortunately, it is all smoke and mirrors. Sad
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Empty Re: Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009!

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 am

I'm watching the news and I'm just so disgusted with the way they are touting the past three months' reports as being great. I wish it was good news so badly but, I know it is not. They keep saying that the rate has dropped almost a full percentage point in the past three months and acting like it is because the job market is getting better. These news people know full well that when they reported the .4% drop last month that it was with a horrible jobs report and it was only because of people not being counted anymore and now all of a sudden they are including that in their touting that everything is wonderful today. It is such a lie.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nuttin2lose Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

How many of these jobs are minimum wage 20 hour service jobs with no benefits? I apply for and don t even hear from the employer for this type of job.

nuttin2lose
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kman Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

Jen wrote:I'm watching the news and I'm just so disgusted with the way they are touting the past three months' reports as being great. I wish it was good news so badly but, I know it is not. They keep saying that the rate has dropped almost a full percentage point in the past three months and acting like it is because the job market is getting better. These news people know full well that when they reported the .4% drop last month that it was with a horrible jobs report and it was only because of people not being counted anymore and now all of a sudden they are including that in their touting that everything is wonderful today. It is such a lie.

All lies - Obama is just loving this.
kman
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

Perhaps we need a clearer definition of the word Job.

My definition of a job=full time, with benefits and pays a living wage.

Back to top Go down

Post by felixsmom Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am

Jen wrote:It looks like Sunrise guessed correctly that it would be 8.9%

It looks like mrgolf was right that they are going to keep lowering the official unemployment rate until it gets down below 8% even without the jobs so, Obama can get reelected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41903404/
It would take up to 300,000 new jobs a month on a consistent basis to
reduce the unemployment rate significantly, economists say. But few
analysts think monthly job gains in the 300,000-plus range could be
repeated month after month.

They say right in the article that it would take 300,000 per month to lower the rate but, we have not ever had anywhere near that and it has went from 9.8 to 8.9 in a few months just because they subtracted more "discouraged workers" from the workforce.

I wish the rate going down was good news but, unfortunately, it is all smoke and mirrors. Sad

Eggzackly - SMOKE and MIRRORS!

felixsmom
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:39 am

Guessing the numbers will tank again next month after all the states complete budgets and layoffs.....................

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

Statement of Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis on February employment numbers
http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/OPA20110319.htm

"Our nation's labor market improved notably in the month of
February. Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 192,000, and the
unemployment rate decreased to 8.9 percent — exceeding the consensus
forecast and adding 60,000 workers to the labor market. Today's numbers
highlight steady, sustained and widespread job growth. The bottom
line: The policies and programs of this administration are working.

"There is no doubt that the economy we preside over today is better
than it was two years ago. An economy that was once shrinking is now
growing again. We've seen private sector job growth for 12 straight
months — adding 1.5 million jobs. And the unemployment rate has
dropped nine-tenths of a percent in the last three months — a drop we
haven't seen since the early 1980s. I feel very good about where we're
heading.

It looks like she enjoys lying too. Suspect
Didn't know the DOL was supposed to be so bias toward any administration.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:15 am

I wish they would spend more time focusing on the following:

"But we know there's still more work to be done for the millions of people who are either out of work or struggling to offset their rising costs with shrinking paychecks."

The only time working families and their issues are highlighted is when some politician is taking away more of the safety net.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by doreenb Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am

Unbelieveable!!! Tell the truth dol!!!!

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am

This is BS....and I knew that the rate would go down......So they can paint a rosy picture.....that the economy is improving.....All you have to do is look around.....and see for yourself.....that things are getting worse and they are not getting any better.....
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am

This is all predictable if you understand how the gov't counts the unemployed. As more and more people exhaust their benefits they will move into the "employed" pot. Also not considered, are the enormous number of people who are working part-time, overqualified for the jobs that they are doing and those that never qualified for benefits such as independent contractors. The whole arrangement that Obummer made with the cons - exchanging extension of benefits for an extension of tax breaks for the uber wealthy - is nothing more than just another ploy used by both parties to transfer wealth to the top - something that both parties have engaged in for a long time. Outsourcing jobs benefits the investor class, because the companies that they invest in will return a much higher dividend with cheap labor, no regulations, lower taxes and nearly free resources. Congress is not in session to support us folks - never has been. We need to wake the hell up and demand they change these "free" trade agreements before it is too late. Obummer is getting ready to add Colombia to the deal - remember what Bush couldn't do? Both parties are competing and willing to do anything for the corporate cash.

This morning C-Span re-aired an oversight committee hearing on how to among other things reduce the deficit. Since 1995, there are a number of oil companies drilling in the Gulf that do not pay one dime of royalties to us and those that do are on an honor system. One solution offered was to allow them to continue sucking for free, but disallow them from drilling any future wells. So, let me see, because of an "oversight" error made in a contract - you believe that, right? - they aren't paying us anything for our oil, and the best they can do is restrict future drilling rights? Gee, ya, think they might just agree to our agreement, then use some company they don't yet own to get more rights? Nationalize the god-damned oil like Chavez did - the resources in this country belong to ALL Americans, not just the Rockefellers or the others that got here first. I saw something else yesterday that rattled my cage - the Koch brothers OWN among other corporations Georgia Pacific. Do you have idea how big this company is??? Check out what Georgia Pacific does and you'll understand why BOTH parties are interested in raping our national parks. If we don't get active these bastards will freely hand over our heritage - invest in the company that they give it to, and leave the bill for all the debt and destruction to us.

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 am

sbraney wrote:This is all predictable if you understand how the gov't counts the unemployed. As more and more people exhaust their benefits they will move into the "employed" pot. Also not considered, are the enormous number of people who are working part-time, overqualified for the jobs that they are doing and those that never qualified for benefits such as independent contractors. The whole arrangement that Obummer made with the cons - exchanging extension of benefits for an extension of tax breaks for the uber wealthy - is nothing more than just another ploy used by both parties to transfer wealth to the top - something that both parties have engaged in for a long time. Outsourcing jobs benefits the investor class, because the companies that they invest in will return a much higher dividend with cheap labor, no regulations, lower taxes and nearly free resources. Congress is not in session to support us folks - never has been. We need to wake the hell up and demand they change these "free" trade agreements before it is too late. Obummer is getting ready to add Colombia to the deal - remember what Bush couldn't do? Both parties are competing and willing to do anything for the corporate cash.

This morning C-Span re-aired an oversight committee hearing on how to among other things reduce the deficit. Since 1995, there are a number of oil companies drilling in the Gulf that do not pay one dime of royalties to us and those that do are on an honor system. One solution offered was to allow them to continue sucking for free, but disallow them from drilling any future wells. So, let me see, because of an "oversight" error made in a contract - you believe that, right? - they aren't paying us anything for our oil, and the best they can do is restrict future drilling rights? Gee, ya, think they might just agree to our agreement, then use some company they don't yet own to get more rights? Nationalize the god-damned oil like Chavez did - the resources in this country belong to ALL Americans, not just the Rockefellers or the others that got here first. I saw something else yesterday that rattled my cage - the Koch brothers OWN among other corporations Georgia Pacific. Do you have idea how big this company is??? Check out what Georgia Pacific does and you'll understand why BOTH parties are interested in raping our national parks. If we don't get active these bastards will freely hand over our heritage - invest in the company that they give it to, and leave the bill for all the debt and destruction to us.
Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! 993979 Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! 91263 Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! 4225
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kman Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I can't wait for the remarks from my friends who are working, I can just hear it now "you must be really happy, you should have no problems fiding a job". I hope I can control my tongue or else I have a feeling I'm going to be losing friends!!
kman
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by needajobinky Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm

This is just conditioning the mind of the masses....while the bankers try to pull off the move to a new currency and financial collapse....our dollar is no good anymore now is their time to move things up a knotch....everything they speak and have ever spoken is a lie...if this wasnt the case they would be focused strickly on the economy, number of people falling off unemployment that cant any longer contribute to the economy, and job creation...but it been corrupt from the start....nothing will change until we have our egypt...sorry to say it but, until you stand up and extermish the vermin, what can we expect? things to get better? we all know better than that!!!....things are pretty obvious now! somehow we need to rally together and get rid of these crooked banking firms and corrupt evil large lending companys!!!! our numbers are "large" and can be in charge! remember that!!!!!! before its too late......
Attachments
Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! Attachment
obama speeches.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(40 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Last edited by needajobinky on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
needajobinky
needajobinky
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 pm

the only good thing about the bs unemployment numbers is it keeps unemployment on the news media
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm

needajobinky wrote:This is just conditioning the mind of the masses....while the bankers try to pull off the move to a new currency and financial collapse....our dollar is no good anymore now is their time to move things up a knotch....everything they speak and have ever spoken is a lie...if this wasnt the case they would be focused strickly on the economy, number of people falling off unemployment that cant any longer contribute to the economy, and job creation...but it been corrupt from the start....nothing will change until we have our egypt...sorry to say it but, until you stand up and extermish the vermin, what can we expect? things to get better? we all know better than that!!!....things are pretty obvious now! somehow we need to rally together and get rid of these crooked banking firms and corrupt evil large lending companys!!!! our numbers are "large" and can be in charge! remember that!!!!!! before its too late......
Yep.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:47 pm

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- FEBRUARY 2011
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

In February, 2.7 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, up
from 2.5 million a year earlier. (These data are not seasonally adjusted.) These
individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and
had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as
unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the
survey. (See table A-16.)
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by requete' Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:47 pm

If the national unemployment rate dropped to 8.9%, why did 31 States report an increase in unemployment ( article on Mainstreet.com ).
requete'
requete'
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Long Term Unemployed - 99er- now Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm

requete' wrote:If the national unemployment rate dropped to 8.9%, why did 31 States report an increase in unemployment ( article on Mainstreet.com ).
This?
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/career/unemployment-31-states-despite-recovery

Yes, it doesn't make any sense.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 pm

the only good thing about the bs unemployment numbers is it keeps unemployment on the news media

unfortunately, this only diminishes us and helps the gangsters at state to continue to convince the public that the unskilled unemployed require training programs - or a shot of B12 to get off our lazy asses.

doesn't address the problem of continued outsourcing on steroids leaving Americans to be cashiers if they're lucky or temporary contractors - a "service economy" compliments of Ronald Raygun and his neocon mafia. The firm that I worked for outsourced EVERYTHING... what's really infuriating is that the company got an incredible tax deal from the local community and exists off of gov't contracts ---- all compliments of the local community - they had to build new roads to accommodate the traffic, and somehow the company got away with turning what was once a beautiful arboretum into a huge corporate campus - chopped down all the trees and turned the land into a sea of macadam and ugly office buildings.

listen to your "statesmen" blabbering about how inefficient government run agencies are - what they describe sounds to me like what I've experienced throughout my career in the corporate world.

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by needajobinky Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes it makes plenty of sense! once you see that our financial system is designed to fail....and they are responsible fer everything we are experiencing....this is a plan long in the making! we r all now starting to see what they've been up to! FINANCIAL COLLAPSE!!! CANT HAVE A ONE WORLD GOV. OR CURRENCY WITHOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
needajobinky
needajobinky
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 pm

needajobinky wrote:Yes it makes plenty of sense! once you see that our financial system is designed to fail....and they are responsible fer everything we are experiencing....this is a plan long in the making! we r all now starting to see what they've been up to! FINANCIAL COLLAPSE!!! CANT HAVE A ONE WORLD GOV. OR CURRENCY WITHOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unemployment Rate Falls Under 9% For First Time Since April 2009! 704725 It makes me sick!
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by needajobinky Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

It does me too...but remember there is only one person that could ever have the power to run a world gov....those of us that believe knows who this individual is... and will only be able to come to power through world caos.....scary i know..but this is what i see comin..... order out of caos!!!! AT FIRST ANYWAY>>>>>> Sad
needajobinky
needajobinky
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next