Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Cspan_live_play-1

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

+13
KeeptheFaith
mya11
mrgolf
L.Montana
X
stilllooking
pugsrit
Bth13
@ries872
tofer
Phillymg
JaneWI
Corinne
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Empty Re: Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Phillymg wrote:IMPORTANT INFO ON EXTENDED BENEFITS ENDING--

NELP estimates on which month the states that get EB will lose it--

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1

Information about the Three-Year Lookback Law--

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims_arch.asp

Only Oregon, Massachusetts, Michigan, & Illinois have passed the Three-Year Lookback Law to let them to continue getting EB if their UE rates are over 6.5% (for the initial 13 weeks) & 8.0% (for the further 7 weeks).

This is a very important factor in urging Congress to pass HR 589..... Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 646192

Good info and great point about HR589!

Back to top Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Empty Re: Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by mrgolf Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Phillymg wrote:IMPORTANT INFO ON EXTENDED BENEFITS ENDING--

NELP estimates on which month the states that get EB will lose it--

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/nelp.eb.trigger.analysis.pdf?nocdn=1

Information about the Three-Year Lookback Law--

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims_arch.asp

Only Oregon, Massachusetts, Michigan, & Illinois have passed the Three-Year Lookback Law to let them to continue getting EB if their UE rates are over 6.5% (for the initial 13 weeks) & 8.0% (for the further 7 weeks).

This is a very important factor in urging Congress to pass HR 589..... Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 646192
Thanks for the post/info
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 pm

tofer wrote:
mya11 wrote:Local news in Charlotte reported that today ESC would have more details about the extended benefits, so far nothing.

nothing on the raleigh news today...even on wral website, the news story has been pushed aside and no one is making any additional comments...i really don't understand why the esc is saying they will have more details, it is up to our state legislature to amend the rules to a 3 year lookback...15 months, i'm so tired...

Tofer it does not sound good. When my state declined accepting the feds money for EB all efforts to draw public attention to the facts were met with silence.

If you want to post the contact info we will send emails as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 am

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am

David Clegg still has not made his announcement, after he does some research, as he stated on the local news. I have emailed every name on the NC ESC website. One person emailed me back on Monday and wanted my phone number, but I never heard back.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 am

mya11 wrote:David Clegg still has not made his announcement, after he does some research, as he stated on the local news. I have emailed every name on the NC ESC website. One person emailed me back on Monday and wanted my phone number, but I never heard back.

Welcome Mya11! I hope you hear back from them, please keep us posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm

mya11 wrote:David Clegg still has not made his announcement, after he does some research, as he stated on the local news. I have emailed every name on the NC ESC website. One person emailed me back on Monday and wanted my phone number, but I never heard back.

Hey myall...I haven't heard back from David Clegg concerning my email to him...I did get a short, curse response from them email I sent the local tv station wral. Their comment, "David Clegg was on our newscast Monday night, hopefully you watched it to help clarrify any misunderstanding." I now realize why I do not watch nor like wral and their so called news. They have no clue...aarrrggghhh...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm

i was going to switch my posts to the nc only board but i understand this has caught the attention of others...nc is ending the eb program and we are fighting to stop this..we are still at 9.7% unemployment

i have worked a "generic" form letter stating our concern for nc...i will attach it below if anyone would like to use or tweak it...i am working up a list of govt contacts...some don't have direct emails, so it is a website you have to go thru to send the email, that is causing me some agnst...i will post it as soon as i list the local tv station contact info...let me know how the note sounds below...i tried to make it to the point and respectful...

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am writing this note on behalf of the unemployed citizens of North Carolina.

This past week, the notice has been publicized regarding the ending of Extended Benefits for North Carolina's unemployed. I have researched this thoroughly and understand the formula used by states to assess eligibility. The original formula from the Federal Government said that states were to use a 2 year lookback rule. Based on this 2 year lookback rule, North Carolina no longer qualifies for the EB program.

However, the Federal Government has changed the rule to a 3 year lookback. Under a 3 year lookback, North Carolina would now be eligible for the EB program. The Federal government has left it up to the states to make the decision on rather they should adopt the new change to 3 years. North Carolina’s General Assembly has so far chosen not to adopt this change or to ignore it all together..

I understand that other states also have chosen not to adopt the new rule simply out of fiscal concern, as the money for this program would eventually have to be paid back to the Federal government. However, at a 9.7% unemployment rate, many of your North Carolina citizens are struggling day to day. We are all concerned about fiscal responsibility, and are not looking for a handout, but support, in these difficult times until we can get back on our feet. I would like to ask for your support in helping to persuade the State of North Carolina in adopting the 3 year lookback rule. Thus, reestablishing the Extended Benefit program in North Carolina.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:58 pm

here is the contact information i've gathered so far...it covers the governor, state legislature, our us senators, our us representatives and our employment security commissioner...i'm going to try to focus on the state levels...i worry that our us representatives may be out of the loop with what our general assembly is doing...i'm glad to hear that david clegg's office is pushing for a change...the email addresses for the general assembly are general mailboxes since there are so many people...but i did find the email for the "head" of the senate and house for nc legislature...i've included phone numbers if i could find them as 'mya11' suggested that a phone call would be more beneficial...still working on some news stations and newspaper contacts...it may be beyond their control or their determination to report on this but it will get their attention...i hope this at least shows support that all of us have for each other...i'm still 3 months away from eb but worry what effect this will have on nc and many of my friends and neighbors...i'm sorry that the below list is lengthy...i'll be glad to give out my email if anyone wants this in word format...thanks...

NC Governor

Beverly Perdue

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/contact/Contact.aspx

website for sending email

governor.office@nc.gov

bev.perdue@nc.gov

direct emails

(800) 662-7952

(919) 733-2391

(919) 733-4320
Fax: (919) 733-2120

NC General Assembly

Speaker of the NC General Assembly - House

Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net

direct email

919-733-3451

President Pro Tempore of the Senate

Phil.Berger@ncleg.net

direct email

(919) 733-5708

NC General Assembly - House Members

HouseE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to house mailbox

NC General Assembly - Senate Members

SenateE-mail@ncleg.net

direct email to senate mailbox

NC Employment Security Commission

David L. Clegg
North Carolina Employment Security Commission

Deputy Chairman & Chief Operating Officer

david.clegg@ncesc.gov

direct email

US Congress

NC Senators

Kay Hagan

http://hagan.senate.gov/?p=contact

Richard Burr

http://burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

NC Representatives

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml#nc

this one is tricky, this website takes you to the list of representatives

for each state, then you have to click into each one to get to the website

page to send them an email - there are 13 for NC

Butterfield, G.K., North Carolina, 1st

202 225 3101

Coble, Howard, North Carolina, 6th

202 225 3065

Ellmers, Renee, North Carolina, 2nd

202 225 4531

Foxx, Virginia, North Carolina, 5th

202 225 2071

Jones, Walter B., North Carolina, 3rd

202 225 3415

Kissell, Larry, North Carolina, 8th

202 225 3715

McHenry, Patrick T., North Carolina, 10th

202 225 2576

McIntyre, Mike, North Carolina, 7th

202 225 2731

Miller, Brad, North Carolina, 13th

202 225 3032

Myrick, Sue, North Carolina, 9th

202 225 1976

Price, David, North Carolina, 4th

202 225 1784

Shuler, Heath, North Carolina, 11th

202 225 6401

Watt, Mel, North Carolina, 12th

202 225 1510
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 Empty Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 am

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

"Extended unemployment insurance benefits for the long-term jobless
are set to expire this month in North Carolina, Wisconsin, Indiana, and
Tennessee, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Unless state lawmakers take action, laid off workers in those states
will no longer receive benefits under the federal Extended Benefits
program as of April 16."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/extendend-unemployment-in_n_845096.html

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:47 am

This is really sad....and I hope that people wake up and start advocating.....because it is going to be really bad in this world....there are not enough jobs for everyone.....and now there will be even more exhaustees.....What do these lawmakers expect everyone to do to survive......
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 am

So, the 99ers are working towards additional weeks and these states aren't bothering to take the existing weeks? More people need to know about this. You're right, keepthefaith, there need to be more advocates.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 am

good morning everyone...nc stops the eb program next week...we are still at 9.7%...many of the nc people on here have been sending out emails and making phone calls to our representatives...i heard that it is getting some attention...i just hope the government shutdown issue doesn't take away from the support for the unemployed...only 12 weeks left for me without eb or additional weeks...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am

JaneWI wrote:So, the 99ers are working towards additional weeks and these states aren't bothering to take the existing weeks? More people need to know about this. You're right, keepthefaith, there need to be more advocates.

Exactly. There is a quick fix available to the states, changing to a three year lookback, which will allow them to continue EB payments.

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

Good morning. Glad to see this topic being addressed I hope this gets resolved quickly for folks. Why the states didn't opt for the quick fix early on to prevent it I don't know. Sometimes I think they like to see if dropping people off for a few weeks will help get the ue numbers down bad tactic but time and time again I see it happening. Last summer is an example.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am

Pennsylvania Sen. Tartaglione's office reports they will introduce legislation to go to the three year lookback in Pennsylvania early next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:17 am

The bill number is H676, you can look it up on the NC General Assembly website.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am

mya11 wrote:The bill number is H676, you can look it up on the NC General Assembly website.

Thansk Mya11, that is the North Carolina bill right?

Back to top Go down

Post by aloneinpa Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:25 am

Need2Bworking wrote:Pennsylvania Sen. Tartaglione's office reports they will introduce legislation to go to the three year lookback in Pennsylvania early next week.

Thanks Need2Bworking, that is good news. Did you talk to someone, how did you get this info?
aloneinpa
aloneinpa
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:29 am

aloneinpa wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:Pennsylvania Sen. Tartaglione's office reports they will introduce legislation to go to the three year lookback in Pennsylvania early next week.

Thanks Need2Bworking, that is good news. Did you talk to someone, how did you get this info?

Got an email from a friend that lives in Pennsylvania, she spoke with the aid in the Senators office this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by aloneinpa Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
aloneinpa wrote:

Got an email from a friend that lives in Pennsylvania, she spoke with the aid in the Senators office this morning.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 204917 Thanks. The Republicans are in the majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives and the Governor Tom Corbett, so we have our work cut out for us.
aloneinpa
aloneinpa
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 pm

aloneinpa wrote:
Need2Bworking wrote:
aloneinpa wrote:

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 204917 Thanks. The Republicans are in the majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives and the Governor Tom Corbett, so we have our work cut out for us.

Several of us have emailed and faxed North Carolina so if you have the contacts for Pennsylvania post them and we will get those emails going Very Happy l

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Yes in North Carolina.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 pm

woohoo...semi-good news...i came back from lunch today and had a call from the employment security commission to call them...my email to the governor was forwarded to the esc...house bill 676 has been introduced in the nc state legislature to change to the 3 year lookback...my emails may not have had anything to do with this, but i'm giving myself and my other nc forum posters on here a pat on the back...it's a start !
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

tofer wrote:woohoo...semi-good news...i came back from lunch today and had a call from the employment security commission to call them...my email to the governor was forwarded to the esc...house bill 676 has been introduced in the nc state legislature to change to the 3 year lookback...my emails may not have had anything to do with this, but i'm giving myself and my other nc forum posters on here a pat on the back...it's a start !

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 117936 Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States  - Page 3 739916

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next