Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Cspan_live_play-1

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

+20
Mags
flowergirl
Kathy
TomW
stilllooking
mrmarti
Phillymg
Kat
js123
njcookies
UPCHITCREEK
unemployed2long/1208
Jen
KeeptheFaith
JaneWI
503Depressed
mrgolf
Sad American
Sunrise
Quiethawk
24 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by L.Montana Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am

So sad.......and I've thought about it,alot,I don't know what they could've done different,except maybe the plant not being built there,but who would've thought a 9.0 earthquake & a tsunami,I guess it could be us next.......where we live we wouldn't get the water,but a few years ago we had a 3.0 and I really wouldn't want to even think of a 9.....yep,I'm a chicken!!! But I'm sure it will be years before they're lives are back to normal over there. Lori

L.Montana
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by mrgolf Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 pm

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A top official from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said on Wednesday it was not clear that Japan's Fukushima No. 2 nuclear reactor has melted through the reactor pressure vessel.
Earlier, Democratic lawmaker Edward Markey told a House of Representatives hearing on the nuclear disaster that the NRC had told him the core had melted through the vessel.
"That's not clear to us, nor is it clear to us that the reactor has penetrated the vessel," said Martin Virgilio, deputy executive director for reactor and preparedness programs at the NRC.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japan-no-2-core-melted-reactor-vessel-rep-20110406-074109-708.html
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 pm

March 30th--

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371103/Japan-nuclear-crisis-Fukushima-mans-land-rice-farmers-refuse-go.html

April 7th--

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE_EMPTY_TOWN?SITE=OHCIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Abandoned livestock & pets are starving in the nuclear evacuation zone. Today CNN showed hungry dogs wandering the abandoned streets and cows standing unattended in pastures.

Crying or Very sad

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:11 am

That's something my big heart just doesn't want to see. pale
Thank goodness I don't have cable!
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by X Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

Agreed.
X
X
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 am

The lady who is one of the few surviving Chernoble evacuation zone cleanup workers who gave an interview a couple of weeks ago described finding & burying large numbers of dead animals.....and the sad story of the little dog that was found alive but then died.

Some Japanese farmers have been going in & taking care of their livestock as best they can.....for example dairy farmers at their own expense were milking their cows & dumping the contaminated milk in large trenches. It's such a quandary. Even if the farmers were to shoot their cows they'd need other people to help them dig pits to bury the cows. But these are just single farmers on their own or with the help of 1 or 2 people trying to keep the cows milked & dumping the milk.

The packs of hungry dogs pretty soon will become a problem for the few residents who chose to remain in the evacuation zone as well as for those who return such as farmers & manufacturing company owners & workers--& others like residents trying to come back to get possessions.

Prayers ongoing.....

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 am

Kunio Shiga, Japan 75 Year Old Man Stranded Alone Since Tsunami

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/kunio-shiga-japan-man-stranded-tsunami_n_846854.html
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by X Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 am

Phillymg wrote:The lady who is one of the few surviving Chernoble evacuation zone cleanup workers who gave an interview a couple of weeks ago described finding & burying large numbers of dead animals.....and the sad story of the little dog that was found alive but then died.

Some Japanese farmers have been going in & taking care of their livestock as best they can.....for example dairy farmers at their own expense were milking their cows & dumping the contaminated milk in large trenches. It's such a quandary. Even if the farmers were to shoot their cows they'd need other people to help them dig pits to bury the cows. But these are just single farmers on their own or with the help of 1 or 2 people trying to keep the cows milked & dumping the milk.

The packs of hungry dogs pretty soon will become a problem for the few residents who chose to remain in the evacuation zone as well as for those who return such as farmers & manufacturing company owners & workers--& others like residents trying to come back to get possessions.

Prayers ongoing.....

Yes it's a shame but this is the world as it is presently turning. Very ugly and very sad.

Unless one has lived in this culture the less understood. What we can do collectively is grow stronger and face our god damned nation and make a change. Personally I don't see 99ers. I see 98.6 individuals that are living off spouses and don't want to sell their one of a kind stereo systems.

Phillymg, you are correct. But I'm sick of hearing "I will have to sell x, y, and z".

Excuse me because I'm pissed of at our American friends. Materialistic to the end. Dumb bitches. Sell your crap.

Sorry PMG... no disrespect intended to you. Just to the other FF.

Jexx
X
X
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 am

Jazzy X--Please read this lady's story & then tell me all the problems in the world are the result of some poor guy/gal selling their belongings to put food on the table because there aren't enuf jobs.....not the result of some wealthy corporate types in league with govt officials thru shady deals raking in millions & billions.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/22/chernobyl-cleanup-survivors-message-for-japan-run-away-as-qui/?icid=maing%7cmain5%7cdl3%7csec1_lnk3%7c51283

That lady should be dead. Nearly all the rest of the 4,000 Chernoble cleanup workers are dead. I choose to believe that she's alive for a reason. That God kept her alive for a reason. To tell her story. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 am

Quiethawk wrote:
Kunio Shiga, Japan 75 Year Old Man Stranded Alone Since Tsunami

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/kunio-shiga-japan-man-stranded-tsunami_n_846854.html

QH--That's such a sad story. Hopefully the police have helped that senior man's family find him & will put the starving contaminated farm pigs out of their misery soon.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Safes, cash wash up on Japan shores after tsunami

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake_lost_money
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 am

Japan shaken by 7.0 quake on 1 month Anniversary
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110411/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I feel so sorry for the people of Japan. It will take them years, if not decades, to recover
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Japan-earthquake-wallpapers-2011-6
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by UPCHITCREEK Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:11 pm

[quote="mrgolf"]I feel so sorry for the people of Japan. It will take them years, if not decades, to recover
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 Japan-earthquake-wallpapers-2011-6[/quot

i'm with you on that MRGOLF !

UPCHITCREEK
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Quiethawk wrote:Japan shaken by 7.0 quake on 1 month Anniversary
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110411/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake

Prayers ongoing for the people of Japan. It's hard to believe this has been going on for a month already.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 am

Body Of Man Swept Away By Tsunami Found In Oregon

So very sad that this young man who had gotten his life on track lost his life. Very very sad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/12/body-of-dustin-douglas-weber_n_848127.html
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 am

Very sad, a wonderful country with such nice people, I only spent 2 weeks there but it was a great time, I hope they recover soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl

Apr 12, 6:25 AM (ET)

By YURI KAGEYAMA and RYAN NAKASHIMA

TOKYO (AP) - Japan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7 - the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency - after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

The new ranking signifies a "major accident" that includes widespread effects on the environment and health, according to the Vienna-based IAEA. But Japanese officials played down any health effects and stressed that the harm caused by Chernobyl still far outweighs that caused by the Fukushima plant.

The revision came a day after the government added five communities to a list of places people should leave to avoid long-term radiation exposure. A 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius already had been cleared around the plant.
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 15 180px-Hashima076
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Since Chernoble's radiation didn't contaminate the ocean.....this disaster is probably an 8 or 9 tho the chart doesn't go past 7. No

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Phillymg wrote:Since Chernoble's radiation didn't contaminate the ocean.....this disaster is probably an 8 or 9 tho the chart doesn't go past 7. No
I saw an "expert" on one of the news programs and he was talking about how horrible this disaster is anfd the long term impact He did point out, though, that the radiation going into the ocean is the least of the problems. The ocean is so big that the radiation will disapate over a relatively short period of time. I wouldn't be eating fish caught around Japan anytime soon myself though
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Japanese Risk Radiation To Save Stranded Dogs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/14/japanese-save-stranded-dogs_n_849081.html?ir=Impact

All I can say is Thank You and God Bless them all...
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Quiethawk wrote:
Japanese Risk Radiation To Save Stranded Dogs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/14/japanese-save-stranded-dogs_n_849081.html?ir=Impact

All I can say is Thank You and God Bless them all...

They are true heroes.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:13 pm

(Reuters) - Japan said on Thursday it would ban anyone entering a 20-km (12-mile) evacuation zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant north of Tokyo, weeks after the tsunami-wrecked facility began leaking radiation.

An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3 hit eastern Japan on Thursday evening, the U.S. Geological Survey said, but no tsunami warning was issued and there were no immediate reports of any casualties or damage.

Tens of thousands of people left the zone after the March 11 quake smashed the Fukushima Daiichi power station, operated by Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO), but some have gone back to collect belongings as the utility struggles to contain the world's most serious nuclear crisis since Chernobyl in 1986.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan, already facing criticism for his handling of the crisis, was publicly berated over his government's slow response when he visited one evacuation center in the devastated region.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference that from midnight on Thursday, people could only go into the zone under government supervision.

"We will take strict legal measures against those trying to enter the area ... For residents, all I can say is I ask for their understanding so that no legal action will be taken against them."

Anyone breaking the ban can be fined up to 100,000 yen ($1,200) or be detained by police.

TEPCO has said it may take the rest of the year or longer to bring the plant under control.

More than 130,000 people are living in school gymnasiums and other shelters more than a month after the March 11 quake and tsunami that left some 28,000 dead or missing.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm

April 21st 2011--
Fukushima nuke workers expect to die. A mother of one of the 300 heroic 'atomic samurai' workers said that her son told her.....
they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long term.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42371032/

Since that story there's been little news about the workers tho there was a story that TEPCO was considering wrapping the damaged reactors in gigantic plastic sheeting to try to tamp down the radiation.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 pm

June 16th 2011--
Fukushima: It's Much Worse Than You Think.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/06/201161664828302638.html
In the US, physician Janette Sherman MD and epidemologist Joseph Mangano published an essay shedding light on a 35 per cent spike in infant mortality in Northwest cities that occurred after the Fukushima meltdown, and may well be the result of fallout from the stricken nuclear plant. The eight cities included in the report are San Jose, Berkeley, San Francisco, Sacramento, Santa Cruz, Portland, Seattle, and Boise, and the time frame in the report included the ten weeks immediately following the disaster.
Radioactive air filters from cars in Fukushima prefecture and Tokyo are now common, and [nuclear industry expert Arnold] Gunderson says his sources are finding radioactive air filters in the Seattle area of the US as well.
Clearly the upper West Coast of the US has people being affected. That area got hit pretty heavy in April [said Gunderson].

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15