Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 Cspan_live_play-1

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

+39
Mags
concernedinKY
Tresa
sportsnut
mrmarti
flowergirl
springflowers
Patriot
mj
dmbishop
Angelika
pc
kellylee123
KeeptheFaith
TR11005
Jeff
jj
L.J.
aloneinpa
dnky7070
Sad American
Feyth
kalst13
js123
MoInSTL
Phillymg
kjps12
lendmeflight2
JaneWI
Corinne
Sunrise
Kat
ET
Riled American
stilllooking
zeke
mrgolf
Quiethawk
Jen
43 posters

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

Go down

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 Empty Re: Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

Post by kjps12 Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 pm

people from across the country are calling a madison pizza shop and having pizzas delivered to the protestors
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 Empty Re: Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights!

Post by jj Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 pm

JaneWI wrote:jj, it's too bad you had a negative experience years ago. That was in Chicago, right? I think I remember someone mentioning this. If I remember correctly, Chicago was pretty hostile in 1968, but my memories are only from reading a little on the topic.

No, it happened in KS, in summer of 1971...and it was a riot happening in action, not a protest. Very scary because I was simply visiting a friend one evening. NOTHING had been said about anything going to happen in that neighborhood, or I wouldn't have even left my house. I would have also told my friend to come to my house.
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 pm

jj wrote:
JaneWI wrote:jj, it's too bad you had a negative experience years ago. That was in Chicago, right? I think I remember someone mentioning this. If I remember correctly, Chicago was pretty hostile in 1968, but my memories are only from reading a little on the topic.

No, it happened in KS, in summer of 1971...and it was a riot happening in action, not a protest. Very scary because I was simply visiting a friend one evening. NOTHING had been said about anything going to happen in that neighborhood, or I wouldn't have even left my house. I would have also told my friend to come to my house.

That is scary!!! Riots are something to avoid at all costs. What's happening in Madison is much more low keyed with everyone being civil. Madison has a reputation of being "nice".
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Scott Walker's bill isn't just about destroying unions and workers rights (as if that wasn't bad enough)...check out what else is at risk - the Medicaid program - which Walker doesn't just want to cut funds from, but give his newly appointed state HHS unilateral power to make changes - or out and out scrap!

This article suggests the budget balancing focus (& attack on union collective bargaining) of Walker's bill is just a smoke screen for eliminating standard policy procedures (like debates and voting measures).

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/health_med_fit/vital_signs/article_7e749b2a-3c97-11e0-94d7-001cc4c03286.html

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:07 pm

No kidding? It's not all about the teachers?(that's sarcasm)
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:11 pm

CNN reports that WI firefighters (exempted by Gov. Walker from his draconian attempts at union-busting) have shown up at the WI state capitol in a show of support for their fellow union members. They know if collective bargaining is done away with for the other state workers.....it won't be long before the Gov. comes after them.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Headline News (the only news station that I have) misreports this. They always say that the protesters in WI are protesting cuts. Every time they interview one of them they correct them and tell them that it is about workers' rights but, they still keep saying that. I hate HLN!!
Today, when they showed it they only talked about, showed, and interviewed the pro-Walker people. One of them said that she pays all of this money for health care and the private sector has less benefits and blah, blah, blah. She then said that all workers should have rights. My question to her is does she think that if she takes away the state workers' rights that she will suddenly have her rights? Why isn't she complaining about the outrageous insurance companies' rates? Does she think that if she strips the state workers of decent insurance that hers will get better? It sounds to me like she should be protesting her employer and the corporations for their mistreatment of everyone instead of wanting to see everyone else get mistreated too.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Phillymg wrote:CNN reports that WI firefighters (exempted by Gov. Walker from his draconian attempts at union-busting) have shown up at the WI state capitol in a show of support for their fellow union members. They know if collective bargaining is done away with for the other state workers.....it won't be long before the Gov. comes after them.

That is correct they will be next. All they need is a chink the armor. Glad to see the firefighters are standing up.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:49 pm

[quote="Jen"]Headline News (the only news station that I have) misreports this. They always say that the protesters in WI are protesting cuts. Every time they interview one of them they correct them and tell them that it is about workers' rights but, they still keep saying that. I hate HLN!!
Today, when they showed it they only talked about, showed, and interviewed the pro-Walker people. One of them said that she pays all of this money for health care and the private sector has less benefits and blah, blah, blah. She then said that all workers should have rights. My question to her is does she think that if she takes away the state workers' rights that she will suddenly have her rights? Why isn't she complaining about the outrageous insurance companies' rates? Does she think that if she strips the state workers of decent insurance that hers will get better? It sounds to me like she should be protesting her employer and the corporations for their mistreatment of everyone instead of wanting to see everyone else get mistreated too.[/quote
Listen closely, and you will hear, " Why am I paying for their pension, and my own? Why am I paying 40% of my HMO, with massive deductibles, and they complain about paying 12% of their much more comprehensive plan?" This is what I hear as I talk to people here in Wisconsin. I had no collective bargaining in benefits. I did have a take it or leave it choice, but health care reform will make it illegal to leave it. Collective bargaining is ok in the new budget for wages, to a point, at which time raises would go to referendum, those paying would vote on it. How American.
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:59 pm

zeke wrote:
Jen wrote:Headline News (the only news station that I have) misreports this. They always say that the protesters in WI are protesting cuts. Every time they interview one of them they correct them and tell them that it is about workers' rights but, they still keep saying that. I hate HLN!!
Today, when they showed it they only talked about, showed, and interviewed the pro-Walker people. One of them said that she pays all of this money for health care and the private sector has less benefits and blah, blah, blah. She then said that all workers should have rights. My question to her is does she think that if she takes away the state workers' rights that she will suddenly have her rights? Why isn't she complaining about the outrageous insurance companies' rates? Does she think that if she strips the state workers of decent insurance that hers will get better? It sounds to me like she should be protesting her employer and the corporations for their mistreatment of everyone instead of wanting to see everyone else get mistreated too.
Listen closely, and you will hear, " Why am I paying for their pension, and my own? Why am I paying 40% of my HMO, with massive deductibles, and they complain about paying 12% of their much more comprehensive plan?" This is what I hear as I talk to people here in Wisconsin. I had no collective bargaining in benefits. I did have a take it or leave it choice, but health care reform will make it illegal to leave it. Collective bargaining is ok in the new budget for wages, to a point, at which time raises would go to referendum, those paying would vote on it. How American.
But, they are not protesting cuts. They are protesting the union busting. We should all have a people's union to combat these greedy employers that treat us like slaves. We should all want collective bargaining. I know we don't have that but, we should. If they succeed in busting what little is left of them, then the corporations will have absolutely no incentive to have any kind of competitive wages or benefits ever again.
She's complaining about her health insurance rates just like we all have been for years (when we had it). Those rates are not the fault of these other workers. They are the fault of the greedy rip-off insurance companies and big pharma. I'm pretty sure that these people do pay into their pensions too.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 pm

How does busting the unions make anyone else's life better?
Does anyone seriously believe they'll pay LESS in taxes, or health ins. premiums, or get better benefits and wages if ONLY the rights of union workers (or the unions themselves) are destroyed?
Really?

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I think this whole week in Wisconsin is inspiring. But, for me, a non worker in this country, it is hard to partake in the enthusiasm towards any of what is going on.
It reminds me of my activist days. Those days were filled with constant demos, actions, rallies..BUT WE ALL HAD A PLACE SOMEWHERE IN THIS SOCIETY TO TURN TOO. WE WORKED, WE HELPED ONE ANOTHER, NO MATTER WHAT.
Today, there is none of this. The computer, internet age has completely destroyed any chance of human contact for change.
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er, Graphic Designer, Fine Artist, Scuba Diver, Swimmer, Tennis

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:11 pm

@Kat..it makes the big boys ROI increase ten-fold. ROI..I just learned of this term recently: "return of investment". Kind of new to me. There are hardly any unions left in this country.

They want to obliterate what is left of the unions..so they can continue outsourcing all the jobs, close schools, etc.

The same old shit, that has been going on STEADILY against the working class of this country for the past 30 years!!
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Kat wrote:How does busting the unions make anyone else's life better?
Does anyone seriously believe they'll pay LESS in taxes, or health ins. premiums, or get better benefits and wages if ONLY the rights of union workers (or the unions themselves) are destroyed?
Really?
You're right. They won't lower the taxes. It wouldn't help anything at all.
Also, the only reason that the pension funds are broke is because the states got duped into investing in fraudulent derivatives and all of the money was stolen. The money stolen needs to be retrieved and not taken from the poor and middle class that did nothing wrong and are already struggling just to survive.

Zeke, I understand that you are being eaten alive by high taxes but, they will not lower them because of this. I promise you that.

Last edited by Jen on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/people-around-world-are-grabbing-pizz
free pizza from around the world for protestors.
ET
ET
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm

The protests are about losing collective bargaining rights. The unions have made many sacrifices, but don't want to lose their collective bargaining rights. Losing these rights will effectively disband the public workers' union.

If the unions lose collective bargaining in the public sector, the private sector will lose them as well. Non-union workers will have it even worse because it was union workers' pay and benefits that helped to keep everyone else's up.

To repeat, this is about losing COLLECTIVE BARGAINING.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:20 pm

ET wrote:http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/people-around-world-are-grabbing-pizz

Awesome, thanks for the post.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:22 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
ET wrote:http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/people-around-world-are-grabbing-pizz

I had read this story and think it's pretty cool. State Street has a lot of unique taverns, stores and restaurants.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 pm

If the teaparty protests I am going to send them brownies with EXLAX! affraid affraid affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:If the teaparty protests I am going to send them brownies with EXLAX! affraid affraid affraid

The Tea Party was in Madison yesterday. Wink

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358675/Wisconsin-Capitol-protests-Tea-Party-takes-70-000-pro-union-demonstators.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/wisconsin&id=7969359
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:30 pm

JaneWI wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:If the teaparty protests I am going to send them brownies with EXLAX! affraid affraid affraid

The Tea Party was in Madison yesterday. Wink

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358675/Wisconsin-Capitol-protests-Tea-Party-takes-70-000-pro-union-demonstators.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/wisconsin&id=7969359

They are like cockroaches, when the light hits them they will scatter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:33 pm

JaneWI wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:

I had read this story and think it's pretty cool. State Street has a lot of unique taverns, stores and restaurants.

Wow, simply Wow!

Back to top Go down

Post by zeke Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:34 pm

See, I think(my opinion) Walker is trying to bully this budget through, and I personally think he's wrong. I see a couple reasons for this.
1. He wants the national limelight, this is his introduction into the 2012 presidential race.
2. The teachers union tried to fast track a contract through in Dec., and Walker had to ask Doyle to let it ride until he took office. This is a payback. ( also I believe the teachers union backed Barret, as did I)
3. This is a payback for the health care reform bill. I heard this repeatedly on the local "round table" talk shows this week. My locals are Duluth/ Superior,Wi
4. What I have gleaned from talking to young, certified teachers, is that with the collective bargaining agreement now in place, layoffs will be based solely on seniority. The younger, bright eyed idealists, who mean it when they speak of the students welfare, will get laid off, the 30 year guy who hates kids will be there until he retires or dies. These teachers live on both sides of my parents. They believe eliminating collective bargaining for lay offs might give them a chance for more than a 9 month assignment.
One thing he wanted was to quit collecting dues for the union from paychecks. That would be step one to an "open shop", union by choice, rather than mandate.
These are my observations from here in tax hell, take them as you will. Hope nobody is offended, that honestly is not my intention. I am trying to get in on the hiring boom at Oshkosh Truck, I believe it's UAW union, I KNOW it's a closed shop. I HAVE to join to work there.
zeke
zeke
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelika Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Love it!! Great show of support from around the world that believe we need to be protesting. Speaks volumes...

Wisconsin, Ohio, and other states having protests against governor bills to get rid of collective bargaining rights! - Page 20 117936
Angelika
Angelika
Premium Poster

http://www.Di-Dio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:45 pm

The thing is, eliminating collective bargaining would be the worst thing possible. It would take away all power from the union and a union without any power is useless. There would be no guaranteed 9 month assignments or anything else for that matter.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next