Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Cspan_live_play-1

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

+20
Mags
flowergirl
Kathy
TomW
stilllooking
mrmarti
Phillymg
Kat
js123
njcookies
UPCHITCREEK
unemployed2long/1208
Jen
KeeptheFaith
JaneWI
503Depressed
mrgolf
Sad American
Sunrise
Quiethawk
24 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by flowergirl Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Rachel Maddow's on MSNBC has presented the easiest understanding of nuclear fission, physics, fuel rods, and more all week. She has done such a phenominal job of "making the complex understandable" that even the nuclear physicists have stated "they could not have explained these complex issues better". Way better than pots and pans.....

Early news reports indicated U.S. citizens have only donated $42M to Japan whereas they'd previously donated $180M to Haiti. This is a 50% reduction in U.S. Citizens choice to help another country in need. I don't believe this marked decrease of donations by U.S. Citizens is about anything other than our economic mess and high unemployment rate.

flowergirl
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by mrgolf Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Phillymg wrote:US govt advising Americans within 50 miles of the Fukushima plant to evacuate or take shelter. Tokyo is 150 miles away.

http://twitter.com/CNBCbrk/status/48074245573586945

Japanese govt only recommending a 12-mile evacuation radius.

US govt official says the US believes that Reactor #4's pool with spent fuel rods is completely empty of water & that the rods have been left completely exposed & therefore melted.

Glenn Beck hasn't gotten the pot & pans out yet today.....

I'm very disappointed in that Very Happy
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm

flowergirl wrote:Rachel Maddow's on MSNBC has presented the easiest understanding of nuclear fission, physics, fuel rods, and more all week. She has done such a phenominal job of "making the complex understandable" that even the nuclear physicists have stated "they could not have explained these complex issues better". Way better than pots and pans.....

Better than pots and pans? I think not. lol!
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 Stellar6000
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stilllooking Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Phillymg wrote:US govt advising Americans within 50 miles of the Fukushima plant to evacuate or take shelter. Tokyo is 150 miles away.

http://twitter.com/CNBCbrk/status/48074245573586945

Japanese govt only recommending a 12-mile evacuation radius.

US govt official says the US believes that Reactor #4's pool with spent fuel rods is completely empty of water & that the rods have been left completely exposed & therefore melted.

Glenn Beck hasn't gotten the pot & pans out yet today.....

Did you catch his comment,that the reason we have those 99 weeks is for the singing & dancing per Nancy Pelosi-The guy just takes words & mixes them up until they something that HE wants them to regardless of what was actually said.
stilllooking
stilllooking
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Taking care of my dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 pm

We still haven't heard back from our 2 Japanese-American friends who live in Tokyo tho we emailed them several days ago. Prayers for them & their families.
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Phillymg wrote:We still haven't heard back from our 2 Japanese-American friends who live in Tokyo tho we emailed them several days ago. Prayers for them & their families.
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306
Hope that you hear from your friends soon, Mark.

I received another email yesterday from my cousin in Sendai, as a follow-up to the one from him that I posted here on Monday. They have decided to temporarily flee Sendai for safer ground due to the continuing problems with the nuclear power plants:

"We have decided to get out of Sendai, and are going to leave in a few hours from now to drive to Kyoko's family home in Kyoto. We are concerned about the major nuclear reactor problems in Fukushima, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) to our south. If there is a real melt-down and a major explosion we are not far enough away. Kyoto, though, should be very safe. I will be taking a laptop computer with me, so hopefully we'll have computer accessibility after we get to Kyoto.

We don't know how long the drive will take us. We are going to go through Yamagata Prefecture, then Akita Prefecture and drive down to Kyoto from there. A best case scenario, if expressways are open after Niigata, is a 12-15 hour drive. If we have to take surface streets, it could be easily more than 24 hours.

After we get settled in Kyoto we will try to contact you all again.

Thanks for all your concern and prayers.

Love,

Marty and family"
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : 99er as of April '11

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanx for sharing that Tom. Alot of people there are in transit. Your friends should be safe once they get to Kyoto.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Tom I am glad to hear your family members are getting out of Sendai, that sounds like a smart plan.

Philly I hope you hear from your friends soon, communication is often limited and difficult so it may just take some time for them to be able to check in.

All are in my prayers Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:Tom I am glad to hear your family members are getting out of Sendai, that sounds like a smart plan.

Philly I hope you hear from your friends soon, communication is often limited and difficult so it may just take some time for them to be able to check in.

All are in my prayers Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306
Thanks, Need2B -- I appreciate your good wishes.
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Phillymg wrote:Thanx for sharing that Tom. Alot of people there are in transit. Your friends should be safe once they get to Kyoto.

Sending continued prayers. Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

This page seems to have a good description of the Fukushima site and its problems:

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2011/03/fukushima_crisis_anatomy_of_a.html

Also, here is a live feed of Japanese TV (in English), which is giving up-to-the-minute coverage of the crises:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm

TomW wrote:This page seems to have a good description of the Fukushima site and its problems:

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2011/03/fukushima_crisis_anatomy_of_a.html

Also, here is a live feed of Japanese TV (in English), which is giving up-to-the-minute coverage of the crises:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

Thank you for posting the links. Smile
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

JaneWI wrote:
Phillymg wrote:Thanx for sharing that Tom. Alot of people there are in transit. Your friends should be safe once they get to Kyoto.

Sending continued prayers. Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 443306
Thanks, Jane. They should have arrived at their destination by now, and I'm looking forward to hearing from them again soon.
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Based on wind direction projected by the State Meteorological Service of Austria.....here is a visual of the radiation release if the worst-case scenario of total meltdown takes place--

http://www.zamg.ac.at/pict/aktuell/20110315_fuku_I-131.gif

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Phillymg wrote:Based on wind direction projected by the State Meteorological Service of Austria.....here is a visual of the radiation release if the worst-case scenario of total meltdown takes place--

http://www.zamg.ac.at/pict/aktuell/20110315_fuku_I-131.gif
I wonder how far it continues past the edge of the image -- we don't want any surprises here in CA. Smile
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 ChAESFalloutMap

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 581

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm

A 400-km zone would go from Tokyo in the south to Morioka in the north.
No

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mags Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 pm

When Mother Nature strikes, all I can think of is children looking for their parents, parents looking for their wee ones, lost and scared souls running around in a maze. I can't imagine the agony these folks must feel. Good Lord! I just can't fathom such an horrific scenario as one such as this. Entire cities wiped out, so many dead, so many searching for their loved ones. It's so horrible.
Mags
Mags
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Mags wrote:When Mother Nature strikes, all I can think of is children looking for their parents, parents looking for their wee ones, lost and scared souls running around in a maze. I can't imagine the agony these folks must feel. Good Lord! I just can't fathom such an horrific scenario as one such as this. Entire cities wiped out, so many dead, so many searching for their loved ones. It's so horrible.

It is unpredictable and can strike at a moment's notice.

Just like Californians are expecting a Big One, I believe that the Japanese was also expecting it. Many hope that these kinds of natural disasters do not happen while they are alive.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 pm

The 200 workers who have volunteered to staff the Fukushima nuclear plant (rotating in groups of 50) are like that loyal dog who wouldn't leave his injured friend's side. They're putting their lives on the line to try to ameliorate the damage for the benefit of their countrymen & the world as a whole. God bless them & their families. Like a Star @ heaven

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 am

TomW wrote:
Phillymg wrote:We still haven't heard back from our 2 Japanese-American friends who live in Tokyo tho we emailed them several days ago. Prayers for them & their families.

I received another email yesterday from my cousin in Sendai, as a follow-up to the one from him that I posted here on Monday. They have decided to temporarily flee Sendai for safer ground due to the continuing problems with the nuclear power plants:

"We have decided to get out of Sendai, and are going to leave in a few hours from now to drive to Kyoko's family home in Kyoto. We are concerned about the major nuclear reactor problems in Fukushima, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) to our south. If there is a real melt-down and a major explosion we are not far enough away. Kyoto, though, should be very safe. I will be taking a laptop computer with me, so hopefully we'll have computer accessibility after we get to Kyoto.

We don't know how long the drive will take us. We are going to go through Yamagata Prefecture, then Akita Prefecture and drive down to Kyoto from there. A best case scenario, if expressways are open after Niigata, is a 12-15 hour drive. If we have to take surface streets, it could be easily more than 24 hours.

Love,

Marty and family"

Tom,

Wanted to let you know I just saw Marty, Kyoko & Vivian on a Nightline report. A reporter documented their journey from Sendai to Kyoto near Kyoko's family.

It took them 16 hours by car and they looked very tired but ok. The area they are in now appears to be non affected. I knew you were concerned and wanted to pass the info along to you.
They have made it safely to Kyota!

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by TomW Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 am

Need2Bworking wrote:
TomW wrote:

Love,

Marty and family"

Tom,

Wanted to let you know I just saw Marty, Kyoko & Vivian on a Nightline report. A reporter documented their journey from Sendai to Kyoto near Kyoko's family.

It took them 16 hours by car and they looked very tired but ok. The area they are in now appears to be non affected. I knew you were concerned and wanted to pass the info along to you.
They have made it safely to Kyota!

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Thanks a lot for letting me know about that, Need2B! Niteline won't be on for a few more hours here on the West Coast, so I'll be sure to tune in and I'll notify some other relatives out here about it. I really appreciate you letting me know about their appearance on the show!!
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 10 220713
TomW
TomW
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 am

Sunrise wrote:
Mags wrote:When Mother Nature strikes, all I can think of is children looking for their parents, parents looking for their wee ones, lost and scared souls running around in a maze. I can't imagine the agony these folks must feel. Good Lord! I just can't fathom such an horrific scenario as one such as this. Entire cities wiped out, so many dead, so many searching for their loved ones. It's so horrible.

It is unpredictable and can strike at a moment's notice.

Just like Californians are expecting a Big One, I believe that the Japanese was also expecting it. Many hope that these kinds of natural disasters do not happen while they are alive.

US nuclear plants located near geologic faults: Diablo could be a huge problem...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110316/us-japan-quake-us-fault-lines/
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 am

I'll be watching nightline too Tom so happy for your family. Blessings
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next