Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Cspan_live_play-1

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs

+8
TR11005
gab1sco
JaneWI
unemployed2long/1208
Mags
jj
Kat
Jen
12 posters

Go down

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Empty A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs

Post by Jen Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41781471/ns/business-bloomberg_businessweek/

Before she lost her job last November as a full-time health department
caseworker in Aurora, Ill., Amy Valle was making $23 an hour. Now she's
paid $10 an hour as a part-time assistant coordinator in an after-school
program.

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  91263
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Empty Re: A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs

Post by Kat Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

This does seem to be the new reality...and would be bad enough all by itself - if other support programs were'nt also being cut at the same time. The under-employed will not make it on those low paying/part time jobs without access to food stamps, housing and child care assistance, and medicaid for health care - all the necessities they couldn't possibly afford on the lousy jobs out there right now.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  Empty Re: A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs

Post by Jen Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:12 pm

This is a horrible new reality. The inflation is skyrocketing and the wages are plummeting. No one is going to be able to survive.
Sad
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jj Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Kat wrote:This does seem to be the new reality...and would be bad enough all by itself - if other support programs were'nt also being cut at the same time. The under-employed will not make it on those low paying/part time jobs without access to food stamps, housing and child care assistance, and medicaid for health care - all the necessities they couldn't possibly afford on the lousy jobs out there right now.

Jen wrote:This is a horrible new reality. The inflation is skyrocketing and the wages are plummeting. No one is going to be able to survive.
Sad

My sentiments also...first, Florida is a low paying state to begin with. Working PT and/or working for lower wages is NOT "making ends meet" for the underemployed...especially in Florida.

What I am seeing in my small town is that full-time jobs have become extinct. The employers take one full-time job and create two PT jobs, or simply "get -by" with one PT worker. These hrs are usually 10AM--2:00PM/3:PM. Unfortunately, these hours do not meet my needs for getting extra PT work. I will not jeopardize my current job. I am seeking PT work 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM, mornings only, and can not find anyone who will let me work for them. I have even suggested to a couple "full-time job" employers to do the 2 part-time workers--let me work mornings, and another to work the afternoons.....

Many businesses are just shutting their doors and are out of business. More new empty buildings every week. I can just imagine how those "business owners" must feel...now they are unemployed. And, most are small businesses.

I am barely "making it"... my face is "below the water" with just the top of my head showing above water...hardly able to breathe...struggling...almost sinking...but still here.

I have HOPE my employers' business will pick up, and then I will be able to get more hours in the next few weeks. I make "too much" to get any kind of assistance, but my income isn't enough to "make a living". All in all, I am grateful for what I have.

I have placed myself into GODS loving arms, and I know He will continue to take care of me, because I BELEIVE & pray. A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  443306 A U.S. recovery that is built on low-paying jobs  257716
jj
jj
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mags Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:07 pm

This was never the norm afew decades ago, but with outsourcing and insourcing of cheap labor, it is now what seems to be the new agenda. I believe our government thinks wow, look what we can do for 50 cents an hour instead of 20 bucks! Sounds great! This didn't happen overnight. It's been in the making for at a very long time. This country has become a business venture, and I find it disgusting. Those we voted in and trusted sold us down the river.

It's not just the morons in office either. I have been observing the average Americans making snide remarks that facory workers, grocery workers, and others don't deserve the benefits they receive. Why not? When does it end then? Will it come to the point where everyone believes we live in a Third World Nation where you work for nothing more than to survive, including all industries? Seems we are being brainwashed into believing that people that do certain jobs derserve nothing but the bare basics. They already say we don't have enough skilled teck workers. That is false. They say we have a nursing shortage. That is false. They want the H1b Visa workers that will come in for less or outsource these jobs for less. It's all a buch of BS!! God I hope this country can get back on track.

It's going to take alot of eyes to open before we can deal with this crazy crap. I was aware in the early eighties that something was amiss. Just didn't believe that it could acually happen. It is. Not trying to sound like a crazy person, it is what it is. We are all seeing what is going on. It's more than incompetence, it seems like an agenda.
Mags
Mags
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 am

We have reached a sad time in this country! We have rolled back the clocks to the late 40's and early 50's.. Now we must start over with jobs and employers and if the job market improves then the salaries can improve. But with the unemployment like it is now, its an employers market! he knows that he can hire for low wages because there is always someone for the jobs!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 am

I don't believe this is true anymore ..."if the job market improves" THEN "the salaries can improve".

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 am

How quick do you think its going to get to that point?/ It will be an employers market for quite some time! If it was job hunters market then maybe. But again, Thats a long time away!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 am

Kat wrote:I don't believe this is true anymore ..."if the job market improves" THEN "the salaries can improve".

I don't know if the job market will ever be quite the same. Many jobs in this country are in direct competition with people in countries like China and India. The wages are much lower there.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gab1sco Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 am

All of the jobs that I've been applying for are between $ 8.00 and
$ 10.00 dollars and hour, no benefits, and want the person to have an AA degree at the minimum. It's a sad state of affairs for someone who is the main "bread winner" doesn't have a degree (but plenty of real life work experience), needs health insurance benefits, and doesn't want to survive on white bread and bologna sandwiches. God forbid if you are over 50!! It's a sad reality pale
gab1sco
gab1sco
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 am

Welcome to the New World Order! They sucker us into this American Dream. Then the banks steal it all after we bail them out. Why own anything if someone can come along and take it. Lets us hope that this year is the year for rebellion. You can only push people so far, that is what revolutions are about.

TR11005
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dave70 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 am

NAFTA Needs repealed now! Then watch and se what happens.Companys will start hiring,new companys will open, well if the politicians quit regulating industries into the ground. Once all americans realize that in a economy like ours that buisness is not there for the so called common good but for the person or people who started it to try and become wealthy then and only then will we return to some sort of normalsy.Also if a tree hugger can tell me how in gods name hugging a tree will put food on the table for my family then by all means Ill hug a tree.

dave70
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rubeNG Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:21 pm