Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 Cspan_live_play-1

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

+30
rubeNG
sbraney
sune
kalst13
X
trotter39
truth
KeeptheFaith
lendmeflight2
Tresa
laidoff2008
doreenb
kjps12
luvher_501
Jen
bassdisco
Phillymg
wowwhathappen
child of the King
MaryKayCoyne
TMKLBMT
stilllooking
G
elvis44102
mistermunster
unemployed2long/1208
Feyth
mrgolf
TomW
ET
34 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 pm

kemcha wrote:Hopefully, Rep Lee can find those offsets fast and quick. I could really use the money a lot more than I'm using the food assistance I'm currently receiving.
I just wish she had found them BEFORE she had introduced the bill. I understand introducing the bill as emergency spending was part of her strategy but I never agreed with that strategy. (I am not a Congressman, I just play one on TV) Smile
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I have to agree with you on that point. She really goofed by not having all of her bases covered before going through with this. This amendment could have been passed last night during this amendment process if she had found those offsets.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm

kemcha wrote:The $200 every month for food assistance comes in handy. My mom and dad only get $100 every month and they are on Social Security. Since I live with them, the extra $200 that is brought into the home for food, helps us a great deal. But, I'd rather have the $424 that I was getting every two weeks from unemployment.
I did not qualify for food stamps when I was getting UI. When I became a 99er I did get food stamps ($200 per month) and it really did help. Now that I am collecting early social security I now get $26 per month in food stamps. I would happily give that up in order to get UI restored
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 pm

kjps12 wrote:pretty sad when the highlight of my month is when the food stamp card gets reloaded
I found that pretty exciting too. Very Happy (really)
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 pm

I think that's how it is for everyone, mrgolf. I suspect that I'll have my food assistance withdrawn if that unemployment extension passes and then get them back once those run out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

kemcha wrote:I have to agree with you on that point. She really goofed by not having all of her bases covered before going through with this. This amendment could have been passed last night during this amendment process if she had found those offsets.
Rep. Lee did not goof. Anyone who watched Cspan videos can see that the whole shabang yesterday & today has been pre-orchestrated. Everyone whose amendment would pass knew it ahead of time & the same for everyone whose amendment would not pass. The Chair of the House has all the law books & paperwork right beside her with the appropriate passages to quote. That's how they do things in Congress--behind the scenes ahead of time. In fact one reporter said that it's *good* that the amendment didn't get included because the whole HR1 bill is gonna get jammed up. Probably Congress will pass another short-term continuation of the budget till April--meaning that any amendments will get held up till the final bill passes in April. The best hope for the 14-weeks may be for HR589 to pass as a standalone paid-for bill. Imo.

Also the 'objection' wasn't that the bill wasn't paid for.....the 'objection' was that by adding more weeks the amendment 'changed existing law.'

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm

::hugs Pesky::

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 921652

Very grateful for your patience Smile

A very under-rated quality, is patience. Patience has a TON of power.

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Tell me about it, Feyth.

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 pm

i wonder if they take into account when figuring the cost of the bill .that when we get an extension we loose the food stamps so that should cut down on the actual cost of the bill
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 pm

kjps12 wrote:i wonder if they take into account when figuring the cost of the bill .that when we get an extension we loose the food stamps so that should cut down on the actual cost of the bill
Yes think that's one of Rep. Lee's main arguments.....that the states are running out of money to fund their food-stamp & TANF programs & failing to help the exhaustees with 14 more weeks of a federal extension is overburdening the states.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:56 am

kemcha wrote:I think that's how it is for everyone, mrgolf. I suspect that I'll have my food assistance withdrawn if that unemployment extension passes and then get them back once those run out.
Yep, that is the way it goes. I went on and off food stamps several times when the extensions were held up
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 am

kjps12 wrote:i wonder if they take into account when figuring the cost of the bill .that when we get an extension we loose the food stamps so that should cut down on the actual cost of the bill
I have pointed that out too. if there are 4,000,000 99ers receiving food stamps (not sure if that numbr is correct)if they are receiving $200 per month that is $800,000,000 per month
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 am

kemcha wrote:Hopefully, Rep Lee can find those offsets fast and quick. I could really use the money a lot more than I'm using the food assistance I'm currently receiving.

Apparently, the cost of the Rep. Lee's bill will be about 15 billion. That's a tiny fraction of the red ink that will be created by the tax cuts that sailed through Congress last year. Not one cent of that was offset. The hypocracy stinks to high Heaven.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 am

kemcha wrote:Tell me about it, Feyth.
Tell you what. About the power of patience? Being patient means being willing to wait until posters who deflect comments/questions, rather than respond to them, get their comeuppance.

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 am

truth wrote:

Apparently, the cost of the Rep. Lee's bill will be about 15 billion. That's a tiny fraction of the red ink that will be created by the tax cuts that sailed through Congress last year. Not one cent of that was offset. The hypocracy stinks to high Heaven.

Help me out here and I do not endorse the tax cuts being continued for the rich especially when someone like Warren Buffet said they should not have done that. Now the tax cuts were not new but just continued, so how does equate to red ink? I guess if you go back to before they were enacted it does but it doens't really now. It doesn't cost anything but it sure would have helped to not continue it as it would increase revenues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Easy, Feyth. It's a figure of speech. There's nothing in the world that says you have to wait until everyone else has their say. Long as you wait until the person before you is done speaking ... then, it's fine. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:23 pm

booniebeast wrote:
truth wrote:

Help me out here and I do not endorse the tax cuts being continued for the rich especially when someone like Warren Buffet said they should not have done that. Now the tax cuts were not new but just continued, so how does equate to red ink? I guess if you go back to before they were enacted it does but it doens't really now. It doesn't cost anything but it sure would have helped to not continue it as it would increase revenues.

If less revenue is taken in, the deficit grows. Red ink is caused by expenses exceeding income. A fair amount of the current debt exists because of the Bush tax cuts. These continued cuts will contribute to the annual deficit and to the long-term debt. They very much count now because if they had lapsed, the current year deficit would have been smaller.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

truth wrote:A fair amount of the current debt exists because of the Bush tax cuts. These continued cuts will contribute to the annual deficit and to the long-term debt. They very much count now because if they had lapsed, the current year deficit would have been smaller.
No, not TRUE. The GOP math works, they TOLD us SO. Tax cut for the WEALTHY = Deficit reduction and JOBS!!! ZERO + ZERO = PROSPERITY!!! Razz Razz Razz Wink
mistermunster
mistermunster
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 pm

mistermunster wrote:
truth wrote:A fair amount of the current debt exists because of the Bush tax cuts. These continued cuts will contribute to the annual deficit and to the long-term debt. They very much count now because if they had lapsed, the current year deficit would have been smaller.
No, not TRUE. The GOP math works, they TOLD us SO. Tax cut for the WEALTHY = Deficit reduction and JOBS!!! ZERO + ZERO = PROSPERITY!!! Razz Razz Razz Wink

Zero + Zero is putting it kindly. It more like A SH!T LOAD of negatives. They play the "my grandchild will pay the debt" when they will inherit their GOP Grandparents wealth with a low tax rate. Wealth that was accumulated at the expense of us all. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Wealth that was accumulated at the expense of us all. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You GOT that right "UNJUST ENRICHMENT" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
mistermunster
mistermunster
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:07 pm

mistermunster wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Wealth that was accumulated at the expense of us all. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You GOT that right "UNJUST ENRICHMENT" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

AND THEY WANT MORE!! WHY NOT THEY HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT!! Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 812460 Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 5 812460

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 pm

kemcha wrote:Easy, Feyth. It's a figure of speech. There's nothing in the world that says you have to wait until everyone else has their say. Long as you wait until the person before you is done speaking ... then, it's fine. Very Happy
wth are you talking about.

Feyth
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm wondering, if they ever get this passed, what are they going to do 14 weeks from now ... the problem will still be here and 99ers will be clamoring for more assistance.

I think Congress really needs to pass a comprehensive unemployment package that will give the unemployed some support because I don't think that the jobs that we so desperately need are going to be created within the 14 weeks of unemployment that are trying to get passed.

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:47 pm

well if 14 weeks are not passed then don't have to worry about more! so better take what we can get.. we know it is getting tougher and tougher... and this subject has been said many times before!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 am

Too True ... something is telling me that Repubs might block it, even if its paid for .... hope it's not true but they would come up with a new excuse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next