Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 4 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 4 Cspan_live_play-1

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 4 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

+30
rubeNG
sbraney
sune
kalst13
X
trotter39
truth
KeeptheFaith
lendmeflight2
Tresa
laidoff2008
doreenb
kjps12
luvher_501
Jen
bassdisco
Phillymg
wowwhathappen
child of the King
MaryKayCoyne
TMKLBMT
stilllooking
G
elvis44102
mistermunster
unemployed2long/1208
Feyth
mrgolf
TomW
ET
34 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 4 Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

TMKLBMT wrote:Desperate....the quote about about Rep lee offsetting the 16 billion. Where is that from?

I used the link and read the floor summary stuff but did not see anything like that. Is it on record somewhere?

The comment from Ms. Lee was from an interview after the House adjourned early this morning. It is not part of the Congressional Record. You will find it in the Examiner article, which by the way, was not written by Donalee King. The author of that article is a strong advocate for the 99ers who sponsored 99erAid, an event on Twitter Feb.15 for the media and unemployed.

Back to top Go down

Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives   - Page 4 Empty Re: Legislation to assist 99ers goes to committee in House of Representatives

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks for that clarification, Desperate. While I don't have anything personal against DK, I just find her remarks to be a bit condescending.

Hopefully, more support, on the other side of the aisle, can be found. But, with Congress taking all next week off, they are not due to return until a few days before the the Budget deadline.

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 pm

""Rep. Lee has indicated that she is willing to offset the $16 billion
dollar cost of the extension. A willingness that will now prove vital as
Rep. Lee courts GOP co-sponsors and support.""

I understand the standalone bill is a seperate measure.
This statement makes re-introduction of a PAID for amendment a posibility.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Hopefully, even if she is able to find some offsets, that Republicans will allow it to move forward. I'm just bothered by the statement by some Republicans after the election that they expressed their desire to get out of the unemployment business and that it should be left up to the states.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Looking forward to an update from G
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm

mrgolf wrote:Looking forward to an update from G
You didn't see it?
https://dawu.forumotion.com/t288-hr-589-is-still-alive-the-real-story

Last edited by Jen on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed link)
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Rep Lee has always said that if it doesn't pass as an emergency exception that she would find offsets for it. I believe she has been stating that since she first brought it up earlier this year, back in early January, I don't believe it had anything to do with the congressional record.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether Republicans would really allow the bill to proceed, whether it was paid for or not. I seen to recall that the Republican in charge of the Ways and Means Committee is adamantly against any form of unemployment extensions. Other Republicans warned that Congress should be getting out of the business of providing unemployment to Americans. I believe it was one of the first things that Republicans were stammering over after they defeated Democrats for control over the House of Representatives.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Jen wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Looking forward to an update from G
You didn't see it?
https://dawu.forumotion.com/t288-hr-589-is-still-alive-the-real-story
No, thanks for the link.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by doreenb Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I also would like to know what our government plans to do about companies who refuse to hire the unemployed??? Isnt this discrimination? I was trying to paste a article from Yahoo today but having problems can someone else go on yahoo for me and post the story to this site????

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm

doreenb wrote:I also would like to know what our government plans to do about companies who refuse to hire the unemployed??? Isnt this discrimination? I was trying to paste a article from Yahoo today but having problems can someone else go on yahoo for me and post the story to this site????

You werent able to paste the link??

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

House Ways & Means Committee members--

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/About/Members.htm

*IN HIS OWN WORDS* Dave Camp is *ON THE RECORD* as supporting the unemployed with unemployment benefits if they are paid for--

http://camp.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=192748

Quote W&M Chair Dave Camp's own words back to him!!
(In a nice way.....don't attack him.....catch more flies with honey etc.)

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Hopefully, Rep Lee can find those offsets fast and quick. I could really use the money a lot more than I'm using the food assistance I'm currently receiving.

Back to top Go down

Post by doreenb Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:26 pm

kemcha wrote:Hopefully, Rep Lee can find those offsets fast and quick. I could really use the money a lot more than I'm using the food assistance I'm currently receiving.

I agree! I dont know how much longer I can hold on.

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm

The $200 every month for food assistance comes in handy. My mom and dad only get $100 every month and they are on Social Security. Since I live with them, the extra $200 that is brought into the home for food, helps us a great deal. But, I'd rather have the $424 that I was getting every two weeks from unemployment.

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm

pretty sad when the highlight of my month is when the food stamp card gets reloaded
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm

kemcha wrote:The $200 every month for food assistance comes in handy. My mom and dad only get $100 every month and they are on Social Security. Since I live with them, the extra $200 that is brought into the home for food, helps us a great deal. But, I'd rather have the $424 that I was getting every two weeks from unemployment.
HR589 passing will make it easier for millions to job search by giving them money to pay for job searching. For the job I'm up for I have to lay out around $400 for testing etc.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm

kjps12 wrote:pretty sad when the highlight of my month is when the food stamp card gets reloaded
That's become the highpoint of my life as well. It sucks in Michigan because they altered the days in when you get your benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 pm

and i hate food shopping
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

You're not the only one. I'm a social moron ... hate being around too many people I don't know. But, I have to say, I've met some gorgeous ladies up in Walmart, shopping for frozen foods and such.

Back to top Go down

Post by kjps12 Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

i have been lucky enough in the last couple weeks to get a couple wood flooring jobs to do. but getting to old for that . 2 days of work takes me the rest of the week to stand up straight
kjps12
kjps12
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm

doreenb wrote:I also would like to know what our government plans to do about companies who refuse to hire the unemployed??? Isnt this discrimination? I was trying to paste a article from Yahoo today but having problems can someone else go on yahoo for me and post the story to this site????

The story is posted here https://dawu.forumotion.com/t287-unemployment-rises-despite-recovery-jobless-need-not-apply
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Phillymg wrote:House Ways & Means Committee members--

*IN HIS OWN WORDS* Dave Camp is *ON THE RECORD* as supporting the unemployed with unemployment benefits if they are paid for--

Bump.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:27 pm

kjps12 wrote:i have been lucky enough in the last couple weeks to get a couple wood flooring jobs to do. but getting to old for that . 2 days of work takes me the rest of the week to stand up straight
Lucky. I still haven't been able to find anything. I want every member of Congress to switch places with an unemployed person for one week and see how they do with no money, no resources and no unemployment. I would like to see how they would fare.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 pm

can you copy and paste the link?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Phillymg wrote:House Ways & Means Committee members--

You are so right. I have read and I agree that emails/faxes etc should be short and sweet
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next