Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Cspan_live_play-1

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured?

4 posters

Go down

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Empty Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured?

Post by Quiethawk Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:49 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-thornton/where-are-the-massive-dem_b_833833.html
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Empty Re: Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured?

Post by Sunrise Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:18 am

The number of unemployed persons (13.7 million) and the unemployment rate (8.9 percent) changed little in February 2010.

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or
more) was 6.0 million and accounted for 43.9 percent of the unemployed.

I wonder where he got those stats. It sounds about right.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured? Empty Re: Atricle: Where Are the Massive Demonstrations and Media Circuses for the Poor, the Unemployed and the Uninsured?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:17 am

43.6 million Americans are receiving help to buy food for their
families. Are there protests in state capitals and a media focus on
this American tragedy?

The media needs to take a closer look at its role; is it going to act
merely as a megaphone for those who can afford to protest in large
numbers, or is it going to acknowledge all Americans and open its eyes
to see the elephants in the room?

Glad he has the guts to call the media out on the way they ignore us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 am

Let's be honest here...the media is hardly, and reluctantly, giving the current "workers protests" the coverage it deserves.
That being said - there's no reason we (unemployed/underemployed) can't maximize the impact of this movement by joining in and adding our voices/our cause to this movement against conservative tyranny that is growing and spreading across the country.
Aren't all of us "workers"...? Whether we currently have a job or not - the rights of ALL workers is at stake - and in many of the current bills denying worker's rights, provisions for the poorest in this country are also at stake - that impacts us as well.
Let's join in this fight - let's make this OUR movement!!

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 am

Kat wrote:Let's be honest here...the media is hardly, and reluctantly, giving the current "workers protests" the coverage it deserves.
That being said - there's no reason we (unemployed/underemployed) can't maximize the impact of this movement by joining in and adding our voices/our cause to this movement against conservative tyranny that is growing and spreading across the country.
Aren't all of us "workers"...? Whether we currently have a job or not - the rights of ALL workers is at stake - and in many of the current bills denying worker's rights, provisions for the poorest in this country are also at stake - that impacts us as well.
Let's join in this fight - let's make this OUR movement!!

That's so true, kat! I think it was mj that was talking about the number of unemployed that went to the Madison protests.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 am

There are protests being organized in many locations - every weekend the number grows in ALL states.
While I can't afford to drive to Madison, I can certainly participate in Sheboygan (only 20 miles). I can (& have) contacted state legislators daily, signed every petition out there for Republican recalls, and made sure people I know in my small world understand what is at stake here.
In spite of limited media coverage, this cause goes far beyond "collective bargaining rights" for public employees...but only if we push it beyond that one issue by participating - bringing OUR CAUSE to this movement!

My first thought/first reaction when the public employee protests began was one of resentment ... where the hell was the AFL-CIO's power of organization for us - the unemployed?
Then I realized this movement IS about us - we are workers first and foremost - and jobs are what's at stake...not just union jobs - ALL jobs for ALL workers, and the quality of life for 90% of Americans.
This fight isn't just about "workers rights" - it's about HUMAN rights and standing up for what kind of people we Americans want to be.
Where ever you live - find some way to participate - bring OUR CAUSE to this movement!!

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:45 am

Kat wrote:There are protests being organized in many locations - every weekend the number grows in ALL states.
While I can't afford to drive to Madison, I can certainly participate in Sheboygan (only 20 miles). I can (& have) contacted state legislators daily, signed every petition out there for Republican recalls, and made sure people I know in my small world understand what is at stake here.
In spite of limited media coverage, this cause goes far beyond "collective bargaining rights" for public employees...but only if we push it beyond that one issue by participating - bringing OUR CAUSE to this movement!

My first thought/first reaction when the public employee protests began was one of resentment ... where the hell was the AFL-CIO's power of organization for us - the unemployed?
Then I realized this movement IS about us - we are workers first and foremost - and jobs are what's at stake...not just union jobs - ALL jobs for ALL workers, and the quality of life for 90% of Americans.
This fight isn't just about "workers rights" - it's about HUMAN rights and standing up for what kind of people we Americans want to be.
Where ever you live - find some way to participate - bring OUR CAUSE to this movement!!

This movement is about human rights and much more. It's also about not want UW Madison to be privatized. I'm also against the governor's plan on allowing the sale of public utilities. Then there is the matter of the governor taking over Madicaid fund with little oversight. These items were taken out of the bill the governor signed. I have a feeling the republicans will try to pass those items with the rest of the budget.
Budget-repair bill would enable no-bid sales of power plants

http://www.jsonline.com/business/116965798.html
"The bill would empower the secretary of the state Department of Administration to sell the plants, which primarily serve University of Wisconsin campuses, including those in Madison and Milwaukee, as well as state prisons and other facilities."
AARP Wis.: Disappointed by Medicaid Provisions in Budget Repair Bill
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/AARP_Wisconsin_Deeply_disappointed_by_Medicaid_provisions_in_budget_repair_bill_117827803.html

JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 am

@Jane:
Not sure where you heard that the Medicaid provision was taken out...It's my understandiang (from NPR interview) that the Medicaid provision was kept in the revised bill that passed & was just signed by Walker - it was determined it was not a "fiscal" provision because it dealt with "future", yet to be defined, changes. Nice gimmick, huh?
The power of those "yet to be determined" changes will rest solely in the hands of Walker and his appointed HHS Secretary (who likes the idea of opting out of Medicaid altogether).
Please post a more current reference for this, if mine is wrong.
Thanks!
Kat

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:14 am

@ Jane:
Perhaps I mis-read your previous post, with reference to Medicaid being taken out of the signed bill....as your linked AARP article clearly states, "...the bill signed by Walker today gives the Department of Health Servises increased power to make drastic changes to Medicaid programs with very little oversight by the state legislature."

(sorry for my confusion)

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 am

Kat wrote:@Jane:
Not sure where you heard that the Medicaid provision was taken out...It's my understandiang (from NPR interview) that the Medicaid provision was kept in the revised bill that passed & was just signed by Walker - it was determined it was not a "fiscal" provision because it dealt with "future", yet to be defined, changes. Nice gimmick, huh?
The power of those "yet to be determined" changes will rest solely in the hands of Walker and his appointed HHS Secretary (who likes the idea of opting out of Medicaid altogether).
Please post a more current reference for this, if mine is wrong.
Thanks!
Kat

Kat, you are absolutely correct. Smile It's craziness what the republicans are trying to do with the budget.

The overview of this bill:
"State finances, collective bargaining for public employees, compensation and fringe benefits of public employees, the state civil service system, the Medical Assistance program, sale of certain facilities, granting bonding authority, and making an appropriation."
http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4d5e2dc949e51b3337950100/tab/overview/

I think I found the legislation and will look this over later.
AB 11 - Official Version

http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4d5e2dc949e51b3337950100/tab/versions/

A Win for Walker, but What About the Kids?
"I have to admit, I was shocked when I found out that Gov. Scott Walker had found a way to separate the Medicaid and collective bargaining parts of the budget repair bill and pass them without the return of the 14 Democratic Senators. I really thought that with such ardent protests, Gov. Walker would have to do at least some negotiating before the bill would pass."
http://portwashington-wi.patch.com/articles/a-win-for-walker-but-what-about-the-kids
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:18 am

Kat wrote:@ Jane:
Perhaps I mis-read your previous post, with reference to Medicaid being taken out of the signed bill....as your linked AARP article clearly states, "...the bill signed by Walker today gives the Department of Health Servises increased power to make drastic changes to Medicaid programs with very little oversight by the state legislature."

(sorry for my confusion)

It was my confusion. You were absolutely correct and I haven't had enough caffeine to get my brain going yet.

I'm going to read the entire legislation soon to figure out exactly what they passed.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down