Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Cspan_live_play-1

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date

3 posters

Go down

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Empty Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date

Post by anyoldname Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I just got off phone with PA UC. Confused about what they told me & hope someone here can help. I just exhausted my regular UC Benefits on 3/26/11. Last year, I rec'd a letter in advance and was automatically put in Tier I.

I have a part time job and earned enough to re-qualify for PA UC in July, 2010. So, I had to open a new claim. The same will happen again this year (if I'm still jobless).

2 Questions:

• Now, they tell me I have to complete paperwork to move into EUC Tier I. Is this correct? How long will it take?

• If I am still on Tier I when my AB Date rolls around (07/02/11) will I have to open a new claim? Or, do I stay on Tier I until exhausted, then open a new claim?

I'm still trying to straighten out the fiasco from last year - exhausted benefits while there was no EUC, I continued to file, PA paid me under Tier II when they should have opened a new claim..... It's been a bureaucratic nightmare! Never sure if I will get benefits or not as they straighten it out.

Thanks for your help.

anyoldname
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Under-Employed/Not Counted

Back to top Go down

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Empty Re: Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date

Post by anyoldname Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm

anyoldname wrote:I have a part time job and earned enough to re-qualify for PA UC in July, 2010. So, I had to open a new claim. The same will happen again this year (if I'm still jobless).

• If I am still on Tier I when my AB Date rolls around (07/02/11) will I have to open a new claim? Or, do I stay on Tier I until exhausted, then open a new claim?

I'm still trying to straighten out the fiasco from last year - exhausted benefits while there was no EUC, I continued to file, PA paid me under Tier II when they should have opened a new claim..... It's been a bureaucratic nightmare! Never sure if I will get benefits or not as they straighten it out.

Does anyone know how this works in PA. Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere - can't find it.

Thanks.

anyoldname
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date Empty Re: Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date

Post by Jen Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm

This is strange. It sounds like they have changed the way they do it now or something. I know most states used to move people onto the tiers automatically. I hope you can find some answers. If no one here knows, you might have to call them again, unfortunately.
Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date 616899
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:43 pm

3/25/09-- Originally laid off from a f/t job.

3/26/09-- Began first UC claim. Completed 26 weeks of regular UC, all of Tier I, & part of Tier II.

3/26/10-- BYE arrived. Because you had worked p/t during the prior year & made over a certain amt (around $3,000).....PA should have opened a New Claim for you at a lower amount. If they erroneously kept you on Tier II.....that would cause you to have to *repay* any of this amount of Tier II that was paid in error. After your regular UC expired (13 or 26 weeks depending) they should have put you back on Tier II where you left off (at the prior higher amount)--my guess is you would have finished the remaining weeks of Tier II & moved along to Tier III & possibly to Tier IV.

3/26/11-- BYE arrived. Because you worked p/t during the prior year & made more than $3,000.....PA would open another New Claim for you at a new amount. Following completion of the 13 or 26 weeks.....you would step back into EUC where you left off.....on Tier III or whatever.

No one may get any of the tiers more than one time. If someone becomes once again eligible for federal unemployment compensation the person goes back to wherever the person left off.
There is NO 'form' to start Tier I over again. You should call again.

Last edited by Phillymg on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:45 pm

For reference, I did find the answer to my first question - re: paperwork:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=552066&mode=2

"Q. When may a claimant begin to receive Tier 1 EUC benefits?
A. When you have exhausted your regular, state UC benefits (your account balance is $0), the department will mail you an initial application for EUC. If you are still partially or totally unemployed, you
may complete and sign this form and return it to the UC Service Center
by mail or fax. You should return the completed application immediately
in order to minimize any interruption in your benefits. If you do not
receive an application for EUC within seven (7) days after you received
the final payment on your regular UC claim, call the UC Service Center
at 1-888-313-7284.
The UC Service Center will review your
application and determine if you are eligible for regular UC or EUC. If
additional information is required, you will be contacted. If you are
determined eligible for UC or EUC benefits, you will be provided with
instructions on filing claims for those benefits."

Looks like I'll be without benefits for a few weeks - again! Down to less than $50 in the fund. Seems I always get cut off the first of the month when I need the money most. Mad

anyoldname
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:45 pm

No one may get any of the tiers more than one time.
This explains a lot. I hadn't known whether or not someone that may have drawn one of the tiers and then worked again long enough to start over on their original 26 weeks would get to draw the tier again.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Seems that PA has changed the way they grant someone their *initial* entrance onto the tier system.....now requiring a 'form' to be mailed in to begin Tier I. Before they always handled that automatically or thru a phone call. (They must now be short on workers due to budget cuts.)

However when someone has *already completed* Tier I.....this new requirement doesn't apply to that person.

To open a New Claim after one's BYE has arrived.....that can be handled on the phone. To resume one's place on the tiers after finishing 13 or 26 weeks of regular UC.....that also can be handled on the phone.

If PA has not yet straightened out a prior overpayment issue.....yes that could cause a delay in processing & prevent a phone representative from taking action on a New Claim. Sorry.

Still I'd call them again tomorrow. You may get a more helpful rep.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Phillymg wrote:Seems that PA has changed the way they grant someone their *initial* entrance onto the tier system.....now requiring a 'form' to be mailed in to begin Tier I. Before they always handled that automatically or thru a phone call. (They must now be short on workers due to budget cuts.)

However when someone has *already completed* Tier I.....this new requirement doesn't apply to that person.

To open a New Claim after one's BYE has arrived.....that can be handled on the phone. To resume one's place on the tiers after finishing 13 or 26 weeks of regular UC.....that also can be handled on the phone.

If PA has not yet straightened out a prior overpayment issue.....yes that could cause a delay in processing & prevent a phone representative from taking action on a New Claim. Sorry.

Still I'd call them again tomorrow. You may get a more helpful rep.

Thanks. There was some confusion - very nice man I spoke to, but he had to keep putting me on hold to speak to his supervisor. The rep said I should call tomorrow to verify the paperwork is en route.

Also, the rep blamed the paperwork requirement on the feds - re: the latest extension passage.

Apparently, I still have to repay the $25.00/wk federal supplement I received for 10 weeks. I thought I did that last fall when they caught their error (moving me to Tier II instead of a new claim). I am having trouble getting an accounting from them as to what they say I was overpaid and how much I've repaid. Twice (Sep & Feb) they cut me off until they straightened out the overpayment issue. I've gotten greatly reduced back benefits, but there is never any warning.

I'll let you know if I get any additional or different information. Thanks for your help - I thought I remembered something about once in the tiers resuming.....

anyoldname
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:20 pm

That really sux......so sorry to hear that.
Hope it all works out quickly at least!! Moving to Tier I in PA & Question about AB Date 443306

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down