Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Cspan_live_play-1

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment

2 posters

Go down

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Empty Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:52 am

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110304/NEWS11/110304040/-1/TT

Back to top Go down

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Empty Re: Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 am

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment 686154 I do agree there are some people that would benefit from additional training and/or certifications, but am unsure how this would work in the real world. How would the state determine the training offered to the unemployed?

Don't people put a list of their skills in their resumes? This almost seems like the government would be doing some of the initial HR work for employers.

“Many of the people who are unemployed have tremendous skills that can be offered to the private sector but we need to identify, specifically what those skills are, and try to better match them to the employers who are looking for employees with those particular skill sets.”

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment 686154
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment Empty Re: Proposal calls for skills test when Nevadans seek unemployment

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am

If it's to verify certain skill sets, then I'm all for it. There are many who will claim to be able to do my job at my skill level, but in reality they cannot.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 am

knarf wrote:If it's to verify certain skill sets, then I'm all for it. There are many who will claim to be able to do my job at my skill level, but in reality they cannot.

I completely see your point, knarf. Being able to prove your skills is a good thing to bring to the table when applying for a job.

The thing that catches my attention is one, if the employer wants to verify the skills of a potential employee they should be willing to pay for it. That is a cost of doing business. Two, this would not cover applicants that are currently employed. It seems the currently employed have a better chance at landing employment than the long term unemployed. With this, the currently employed would not have to prove any skills and can make any claims they want.

While I agree there are many people who would benefit from additional training, I can see a circumstance where an employer states they need X number of people with these exact skills. The state pays to train them at no cost to the employer. These jobs are then moved to another location and people are left with skills that no one needs or wants.

I guess you could say I have mixed emotions on it. I can see where a lot of good can come out of it, but can also seem some down sides.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:43 am

This sounds like another attempt to blame workers for their own joblessness.

All that's required (or should be required) to claim UI benefits is the loss (through no fault of your own) of previous employment that paid into the UI system. Obviously UI claimants have some sort of skill - or they wouldn't have been employed in the first place.

Skills assessment and possible re-training to increase liklihood of re-employment could be useful tools for jobless workers, but the burden for hiring people on unemployment is on the private sector employers, is it not?

Re-train, educate, improve worker's skills to your hearts content - if employers won't hire, it makes no difference.

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down