Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Cspan_live_play-1

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

+20
Mags
flowergirl
Kathy
TomW
stilllooking
mrmarti
Phillymg
Kat
js123
njcookies
UPCHITCREEK
unemployed2long/1208
Jen
KeeptheFaith
JaneWI
503Depressed
mrgolf
Sad American
Sunrise
Quiethawk
24 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by UPCHITCREEK Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:CNN reporting a new 6.2 quake just hit Nagano, Japan

Yep new quake !!!! affraid

UPCHITCREEK
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Empty Re: Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared

Post by JaneWI Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Strong quake strikes central Japan, felt in Tokyo

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2011/03/11/strong_quake_strikes_central_japan_felt_in_tokyo/
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:47 pm

This doesn't look good, either.

Thousands evacuated in nuclear scare

http://www.radioaustralianews.net.au/stories/201103/3162169.htm?desktop
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Minor waves only hit NZ
"Waves hit the North Cape of New Zealand at 7.10am, the Bay of Plenty Regional Council said.

Although the height of the wave was just 15cm, the council warned higher waves were expected to follow in the next few hours, following Japan's deadly 8.9-magnitude quake yesterday."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4759908/Minor-waves-only-hit-NZ
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Just terrible! I cannot even imagine what it must be like! Spent 3 weeks in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo and these are the kindest people in the world.My heart goes out and prayers being sent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

JaneWI wrote:This doesn't look good, either.

CNN reporting one reactor simply isn't cooling down................

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
JaneWI wrote:This doesn't look good, either.

CNN reporting one reactor simply isn't cooling down................

That can't be good. Three Mile Island was operating two days short of 3 months before their meltdown. I saw a show once that said they were lucky it was a newer reactor because otherwise it would have been much worse. I bet this plant has probably been in operation for a while now.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by njcookies Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 pm

terrible situation, so sorry for the folks in Japan

njcookies
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : Cat Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Here are some images of what is/has happened here in California..Japan...

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Capt.1ad093e9d785460e9280ea3c8ef641af-1ad093e9d785460e9280ea3c8ef641af-0.jpg?x=400&y=233&q=85&sig=EZRscZRll9c1cQ
Ft. Point @ Golden Gate Bridge, SF...This is a high wave for there..I used to surf here

Ocean Beach is the the largest plate in that area...these waves are HUGE
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 ?controllerName=image&action=get&id=621832&width=628&height=471

Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 64afe46bd1e34d279c67a19918c698b8_mn
Santa Monica got slammed boats sinking...

Here is Natori, Miyagi, Japan.....Getting slammed...
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 20110311_094001_tsunami11_500

Last edited by Mobs on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Obama says US ready to aid Japan and Quake Victims....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_us/us_japan_earthquake_us

(not to sound insensitive) What about our own? 1st?

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Japan says radiation levels surged outside nuclear plant

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_quake_power_plant
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:18 pm

I can only imagine what the survivors are going through trying to locate loved ones, it will take weeks or months to get an accurate death toll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 pm

JaneWI wrote:Minor waves only hit NZ
"Waves hit the North Cape of New Zealand at 7.10am, the Bay of Plenty Regional Council said.

Although the height of the wave was just 15cm, the council warned higher waves were expected to follow in the next few hours, following Japan's deadly 8.9-magnitude quake yesterday."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4759908/Minor-waves-only-hit-NZ

affraid 15cm scratch

lol!
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Mobs wrote:Obama says US ready to aid Japan and Quake Victims....

Seriously - has any country ever came to the aid of the USA when we've had our disasters?

Question

What is this attitude that the USA has that we have to be the patriarch of the world. I can't stand it. Mad

I wish that I had money to defect.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Sunrise wrote:

Seriously - has any country ever came to the aid of the USA when we've had our disasters?

Question

What is this attitude that the USA has that we have to be the patriarch of the world. I can't stand it. Mad

After katrina people came from all over the world to help remove trees and concrete from the highways, haul off debris, rescue & body recovery, medical care etc.

The first Dr to make it to my town was a little guy from England and a nurse from France. My mom got a real kick out of watching the english Dr try to eat cajun food. Apparently they do not use a lot of cayenne pepper there

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't begrudge helping Japan. I know there's money for the 99ers. It's the republicans who won't help us because they want to destroy the middle class. Sad but true.
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 443306
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 am

Sunrise wrote:

Question

Like the USA can afford to help the rest of the world? WTHeck? Is it me..or am I missing something? like earning a LIVING!
I know in the wake of this tragedy, I will chill...ok See you all tomorrow...God willing... I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:34 am

Many countries (allies and non-allies alike) came to our aid after Hurricane Katrina. Here's a list of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

Make sure you atleast scroll to the bottom of the article to read "Actual funds used"...

..."of the $854 million offered by contries considered U.S. allies, only $40 million (less than 5%) had been spent for disaster victims or reconstruction".

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Sunrise wrote:

Question

Actually, we did have offers of aid from other countries after Katrina and the Gulf oil spill
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:46 pm

mrgolf wrote:
Sunrise wrote:

Question

Actually, we did have offers of aid from other countries after Katrina and the Gulf oil spill

Yes we did. Not just financial aid but people from other countries actually came and spent their time helping with rescue and recovery, rebuild and repair homes, clear the roads, etc. Medical professionals came from all over the world to help.

A Dr. from England and a nurse from France were the first medical professionals to make it to my home town, two weeks after the storm. They brought their own medical supplies and treated everyone here. We set up an emergency clinic in the church.

There was so much decaying trash that could not yet be removed and everyone got sick- a bad cough-from mold spores in the trash. Not a life threatening illness for most but very uncomfortable given the 95 degree heat and no a/c.

It was especially tough on the older people. I watched my first grade teacher die in our church because her medications went bad from lack of refrigeration. I will forever be grateful for the kindness of the foreign Dr. and nurse for their help. They were both incredibly kind and compassionate people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Japan

The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the
American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also
identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided
up to $300,000in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators
if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese
individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds
to Katrina relief efforts

$200,00 in money and $300,000 in supplies from the Country IF the USA requested it.
scratch
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Sunrise wrote:

Japan

The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the
American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also
identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided
up to $300,000in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators
if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese
individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds
to Katrina relief efforts

$200,00 in money and $300,000 in supplies from the Country IF the USA requested it.
scratch

When Katrina hit New Orleans had a mayor who refused to let the city bus system operate to take the poorest residents without transportation out of harms way. Most of the ninth ward were workers in the service industry and had no transportation or money to evacuate.

Kathleen Blanco the governor told residents if you stay "write your social security number on your arm so we can identify your body".

With leaders like that the residents of Louisiana and Mississippi were very grateful and appreciative to receive any and all foreign aid...............

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I am watching coverage on CNN. The devastation in Japan is unbelievable
Japan Earthquake: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 19-Feet High Tsunami Feared  - Page 5 Earthquake-next-one-photo-rtre2o5-sw
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I was remembering that Bush declined a lot of foreign aid.

Here's the link for supporters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiethawk Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:23 pm

This whole reactor problem is very scary.... They are trying to cool them with Sea water. A last ditch effort to stop a melt down. This could be catastrophic....
Quiethawk
Quiethawk
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum