Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Cspan_live_play-1

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

+8
tdan
JaneWI
Terrync
carolinamom18
pugsrit
mya11
Phillymg
tofer
12 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by mya11 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 pm

I noticed that too. Charlotte news totally ignored the Extended Benefits Press Conference. I'm not sure it even happened. I guess 37,000 people are not enough to make the news. Thanks alot WSOC channel 9.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Phillymg Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Need2Bworking wrote:
tofer wrote:i read an article on wral.com today...it seems that there was a rally at the state capital today regarding the unemployed and the extended benefits...i heard nothing on the news these last few days nor saw any article on the local tv websites or i would have gone...but i've learned one thing - that is the people that post comments on the wral.com news stories about unemployment are clueless and heartless...i don't want to wish unemployment on anyone, but many need to see what it feels like...
Hang in there, Tofer and don't let the comments of the fortunate and ignorant get to you. Most people don't have a clue until it happens to them.
That's really great news about the rally Tofer. NC is on the front lines of this battle. How it goes in NC is how it'll go in other states. Found the link--

http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/9464626/

Rally organized by North Carolina's AFL-CIO & the North Carolina Justice Center.

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 998347 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 618340 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 921652

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 pm

I was being sarcastic, about the news. They just seem to ignore our voices.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:48 am

mya11 wrote:I was being sarcastic, about the news. They just seem to ignore our voices.

What voices? Are you paying for Bev's plane tickets for her family?

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 am

mya11 wrote:Thanks for that information. I will show up no matter what and will continue to support any bill that will help the long term unemployed.
Boonie--Mya11 probably is understandably stressed out.....as are we all.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:59 am

Phillymg wrote:
mya11 wrote:Thanks for that information. I will show up no matter what and will continue to support any bill that will help the long term unemployed.
Boonie--Mya11 probably is understandably stressed out.....as are we all.

OK sorry I will cut my lame attempts at humor out, Perdue is an idiot, She has the full FBI investigaating her personal expenses crap at taxpayers expense. I am sure its just some inaccurate reporting or some other coverup excuse and she;ll take care of whatever under the table as they all do. I did not mean anything towards mya and will send her an apology. I was not ragging her comment though.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 am

Very stressed out. Yes I'm sure we are all paying for her ticket. I go to the ESC today to turn in the work search records, I will let you guys know how that goes and if I hear anything new. I guess ESC is going to be pretty crowded and will meet lot's of people just like us, at the end of their rope. Thanks everyone.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

OK, arrived a little early at the ESC, was called in at my appt. time. Turned in 4 weeks of worksearch and was on my way. They did not have any news on The Extended Benefits issue.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

mya11 wrote:OK, arrived a little early at the ESC, was called in at my appt. time. Turned in 4 weeks of worksearch and was on my way. They did not have any news on The Extended Benefits issue.

I hope they get it together and pass the three year lookback so you and others from NC can continue to collect EB.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks, I am very worried that this will never go through.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Hang in there North Carolina folks. Some very lame senators from Missouri tried to refuse the federal funds to support EB..............they didn't get very far it was accepted within a week of expiring. However, they changed the number of weeks UE can be collected on a regular claim from 26 to 20 weeks. I am quite sure that your governor will have to make some compromise but it has to be reasonable not what the republicans tried to put into the bill. There was a very large backlash against the senators who tried to do away with EB in MO. The retraction of statements was almost comical if it hadn't had such a negative effect when they were initially stated. My hope is that most Americans do not feel this animosity toward the unemployed. There is always going to be those that love to be mean it is the unfortunate side to human nature. I ignore that kind of stuff. Hang in their I am sure it will happen for you as it happened for MO.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for being so positive, it does make me feel better. I am still trying to track the bill, but the number on it changes every time it goes from house to senate. Think I have it now. Best Wishes

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tdan Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 pm

I don't know how true this is but maybe there is hope.
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110423/NEWS/304230040/Tom-Apodaca-vows-more-jobless-aid

tdan
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tdan Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

tdan
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Sounds like it is in the works based on the article. Smile

Apodaca said the compromise would likely come in the form of a new
bill, but he declined to talk about any details of negotiations.

As for the negotiations, the governor would be happy to sign a “clean
bill” without budget attachments, spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said
Friday.“Next week sounds good to us,” Pearson said.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:36 pm

it's not much but here are some of the updates...the first link is just the reasoning behind perdue vetoing the bill...however...the second link i stumbled across...around the 11 paragraph, there is a comment that the democratic lawmakers are going to try to push thru a clean version of the eb program later this week...i see the article is dated the 24th so maybe this is a glimmer of hope... http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/h383Veto/letter.pdf http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/18/nc-gov-vetoes-unemployment-bill_n_850501.html
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:10 pm

I think they get it done. When? Soon I hope for everyone affected.

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:11 pm

booniebeast wrote:I think they get it done. When? Soon I hope for everyone affected.

i agree, i hope it's soon too...i run out at the end of june so now i'm getting scared...i had a job interview last week and a second interview a few days after...only to get a call from the general manager to say that they are not sure if the job is going to be full time and would i come in and work 4-6 weeks to see...i've tried to succinctly to tell him that will cause me more angst and paperwork with the taa program that it wouldn't be beneficial...plus the accounting person that i would be replacing is working from home in colorado for the next 4 weeks, so i have no clue how training would be done, plus he didn't return my call last thursday when i called to understand the details...oh well, just needed to vent a little...i've learned not to get excited about job interviews, but this is the closest i've come to checking out prices of champagne on the internet...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Let's hope this week something will take place and we can draw benefits until we find work. I do have a good lead this week and it's close to home. Well I did have a very good Easter weekend. My friends and family brought food after church. Thanks everyone.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:09 pm

tofer wrote:
booniebeast wrote:I think they get it done. When? Soon I hope for everyone affected.

i agree, i hope it's soon too...i run out at the end of june so now i'm getting scared...i had a job interview last week and a second interview a few days after...only to get a call from the general manager to say that they are not sure if the job is going to be full time and would i come in and work 4-6 weeks to see...i've tried to succinctly to tell him that will cause me more angst and paperwork with the taa program that it wouldn't be beneficial...plus the accounting person that i would be replacing is working from home in colorado for the next 4 weeks, so i have no clue how training would be done, plus he didn't return my call last thursday when i called to understand the details...oh well, just needed to vent a little...i've learned not to get excited about job interviews, but this is the closest i've come to checking out prices of champagne on the internet...

You got some time, relax. I dont say this lightly but things are really getting better so you may find employment before then. I have been out of work since Feb 2007, yeah look at the calendar and all UI since Feb 2010 and no I did not get 99 weeks. Point I am making is I follow this stuff pretty closely and have for a while. I think you will come out OK as you are in it at the right time. I also believe they'll continue EB so if you dont have a job by June, you'll have a bit more time.

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Just got this email from Alexandra Sirota:

It appears that a compromise was not achieved this
weekend on the fix to the extended benefits trigger. However, there
continues to be efforts at the General Assembly to move HB676 as soon as
possible.

As part of this effort, a hearing is being planned for this Wednesday at 2 pm at the General Assembly in Raleigh
to demonstrate support for unemployment insurance and call for quick
passage of the bill. We encourage you all to attend and share your
stories. If you would like more information, you can reach out to: Jeff
Jeff Giertz’ number at 919-715-3001.

I will keep you up to date as I learn more.

Sincerely, Alexandra

Alexandra Forter Sirota
Director
North Carolina Budget and Tax Center
alexandra@ncjustice.org
919-861-1468

[+] Rate this post positively

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Trn

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/709343-nc-extended-unemployment-543.html#ixzz1KZ64ONEa

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 am

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/12922976/article-Assembly-defers-jobless-benefits-for-37-000

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 5 Unemployment2
If you are looking for a way to understand the General Assembly
session that began three months ago and the priorities of people running
it, the plight of the 37,000 unemployed workers in North Carolina whose
unemployment benefits ran out 10 days ago is a good place to start.
First, legislative leaders ignored calls a few weeks ago to pass
simple legislation introduced in the House that would extend the
benefits for the workers for another 20 weeks as long as they continue
looking for a job.
It wouldn’t cost the state anything. The federal government is
picking up the entire tab. All the workers needed was authorizing
legislation from the General Assembly.
Then just a few days before the workers’ benefits ran out, Republican
House and Senate leaders cooked up a scheme to tie the extension of the
benefits to a continuing budget resolution that would force Governor
Beverly Perdue to run the state on 13 percent less funding than she has
recommended if lawmakers and the governor could not reach a final budget
agreement by the end of the state’s fiscal year June 30th.
They knew Perdue would veto the bill, but they passed it anyway after
defeating amendments that would have separated the two issues and
allowed an up or down vote on the extension of the unemployment
benefits.
The Republicans even scheduled held a skeletal session of the House
and Senate on Saturday, April 16 for final ratification of the bill, the
day the benefits ran out for the 37,000 workers, hoping that Perdue
would be blamed for denying the benefits.
Perdue vetoed the bill as the Republicans knew she would. The workers
lost their benefits, and House and Senate leaders were roundly
criticized for their callous political stunt.
Now ten days later, the workers still have no benefits as their rent
is coming due and there’s no money for food and gas. Lawmakers could
still help at any time by passing the simple legislation to extend the
benefits which workers would receive retroactively to April 16th.
But it’s apparently not going to happen this week. Not because
legislative leaders don’t care, they tell us, rather they are just too
busy to get to it.
The Senate is tied up debating a resolution on the Senate floor
honoring the North Carolina Family and Consumer Services on the 100th
anniversary of its founding and talking about changes to hunting laws in
a Senate committee meeting. No way to fit any time in to help 37,000
workers.
It is true that the House is rolling out its budget in committee this
week, but only in committees. The afternoons would be available, but
that would mean no time for the scheduled debate on the House floor on
inspection requirements for salvaged vehicles.
And House leaders are managing to hold other committee meetings this
week despite the debate on the budget. The House Transportation
Committee is taking up the pressing issue of medians on Highway 70. The
workers will have to wait.
Two weeks ago the Senate passed its combination unemployment
extension/ budget stunt bill through committee and the Senate floor in a
day. And that was with Democrats objecting at every stage of the
process. It could happen in a few hours this week since presumably
there would be no objections.
But that would mean workers struggling to make ends meet would have
to become a priority of the folks who run the House and Senate.
That seems unlikely. Unemployed workers only matter when they can be used for cynical political reasons.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey everyone,make sure you continue to file your weekly certifications so when the bill passes there shouldnt be any delay.... Very Happy

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Terrync wrote:Hey everyone,make sure you continue to file your weekly certifications so when the bill passes there shouldnt be any delay.... Very Happy

Good advice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next