Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Cspan_live_play-1

IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

IT/Tech Support

+12
steveninspokane
kshort
Kat
unemployed2long/1208
Sunrise
new_wave_princess
Phillymg
elvis44102
TR11005
JaneWI
Jen
mrgolf
16 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Empty Re: IT/Tech Support

Post by steveninspokane Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 am

XP was great for it's time, but this reminds me of when XP was released, people dogged it and said they would never leave Win 98, if you could imagine.

Win 7 is by far a more superior OS then any version of Windows before it. It handles memory usage better and is a much more secure interface.

You can only hang on to XP for so long, shortly MS will stop offering support for it, which means it will be less secure then it is now, and will not preform well as advancements in software and hardware improve.

As far as AV, your best bet is using Windows Defender as your firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV, I used AVG for many years, and has by far been the best, as of lately it has been changing and requiring more system resources.

BTW, I have never downloaded a virus unintentionally, and as my degree is in the field of Information Technology, emphasizing in Network Security, I feel as though I have a right to voice my thoughts on this matter. Smile
steveninspokane
steveninspokane
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 am

Steve, Of course you are correct about XP running out of steam, but the day you say your new Vette can outrun my Model T, we'll be goin toe to toe. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:52 am

""XP was great for it's time, but this reminds me of when XP was released, people dogged it and said they would never leave Win 98, if you could imagine.""

I am still using XP because it does everthing that i need it to do, not because it is better....When I was still working every business that used any proprietory software was still runing XP because of issues with getting the software to run on Vista...They would get new machines with Vista and reimage the PC's with XP immediatly...Thats how I got Product keys for Vista....

At this point I have learned that at least some business's are able to get their special software to work correctly on Win 7, although they are still running XP (once again because it works) There are complex issues due to licensing and such that are involved as well...

""As far as AV, your best bet is using Windows Defender as your firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV, I used AVG for many years, and has by far been the best, as of lately it has been changing and requiring more system resources. ""

MS security essentials is very usefull...it will warn you if all your updates are current and if there are any settings that could be changed or altered to enhance security.
It is FREE and it is used in extensively in the IT community...

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

The best SECURITY is to THINK before you click...

As I understand it win 2000 and win XP are very similar 2000 is ver 5.0 and XP is ver 5.1...Along the same vein Vista drivers will mostly work with Win 7 (just as dirivers for 2000 work with XP)...

There is similarity between Vista and Win7...but Vista is basicly like win ME...an embarisment...

Another possiblity for anyone wanting a FREE OS is to download and install one of MS various Server versions of FREE trials... they used to have a free version of server 2003 that ran for 6 months...only a few limited number of tweaks being needed...
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Why is the DAWU site running so slowly? The **** site is doing the same thing. Takes a long time to open pages etc. Scroll sometimes won't run unless I hit the right-click. This has been going on for about a week. Is it a forumotion issue?

Anyways I don't have these problems with any other Internet sites.....just DAWU & ****.

I have Explorer & XP.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Phillymg wrote:Why is the DAWU site running so slowly? The **** site is doing the same thing. Takes a long time to open pages etc. Scroll sometimes won't run unless I hit the right-click. This has been going on for about a week. Is it a forumotion issue?

Anyways I don't have these problems with any other Internet sites.....just DAWU & ****.

I have Explorer & XP.

It all started when they added more widgets. The biggest killer is the unemployment news one. As soon as that was added everything became jerky. Shades of the old UFF. Too much going on that the site has to keep reloading= slow down

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanx for the info Knarf. IT/Tech Support - Page 5 708464

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

knarf wrote:
Phillymg wrote:Why is the DAWU site running so slowly? The **** site is doing the same thing. Takes a long time to open pages etc. Scroll sometimes won't run unless I hit the right-click. This has been going on for about a week. Is it a forumotion issue?

I have Explorer & XP.

It all started when they added more widgets. The biggest killer is the unemployment news one. As soon as that was added everything became jerky. Shades of the old UFF. Too much going on that the site has to keep reloading= slow down
We're looking into it. It is running fine for me. I have a MacBook.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:26 pm

I have Explorer & XP.
All of the forumotion sites do this when forumotion is doing maintenance and there's nothing that the people that have sites on them can do about it, unfortunately.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:29 pm

It's now running exactly the same as the old site did. Even when I type, the words take their sweet time to come up. I have to constantly clear the site cookies to even have a chance for normal functionality.

Back to top Go down

Post by kshort Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Just wanted to thank all of you for your help with my computer issues-I'm really happy this thread will be here when I need help-things I should know how to do left my brain when I was injured, so I feel like a newbie at times. Thanks for your patience! God Bless. Kathy
kshort
kshort
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Love playing and teaching piano and playing with my dog Maia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

knarf wrote:It's now running exactly the same as the old site did. Even when I type, the words take their sweet time to come up. I have to constantly clear the site cookies to even have a chance for normal functionality.
Okay. We'll have Cik look into it. Very Happy
IT/Tech Support - Page 5 215101
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Jen wrote:
knarf wrote:It's now running exactly the same as the old site did. Even when I type, the words take their sweet time to come up. I have to constantly clear the site cookies to even have a chance for normal functionality.

Thank you Guys & Gals.

I know on the other site I was able to block the majority of widgets with adblocker plus, but the way these are set on here, I am not able to.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm

knarf wrote:
Jen wrote:

Thank you Guys & Gals.

I know on the other site I was able to block the majority of widgets with adblocker plus, but the way these are set on here, I am not able to.
I noticed that the news scroll is gone.

As long as THE SCROLL with the latest topics is running I'm happy
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm

I have Explorer & XP.

I haven't had any problems.

I have a Mac.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 pm

I removed the news widget for now, see if that helps.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Much better, even the topic scroll is running smoother. IT/Tech Support - Page 5 220713

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm

knarf wrote:Much better, even the topic scroll is running smoother. IT/Tech Support - Page 5 220713
IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Post-115
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Sunrise wrote:

I have Explorer & XP.

I haven't had any problems.

I have a Mac.
MAC Owners United.
IT/Tech Support - Page 5 Mac_5
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

concernedinKY wrote:I removed the news widget for now, see if that helps.
I had to block that, and the other widget, Adblock is slowing me down from blocking all of the widgets, but not to bad....

Back to top Go down

Post by kman Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I usually use my laptop computer (which I am typing on now) Earlier, I used my desktop because that is where I have my printer set up. My Norton security blocked unauthorized access to my computer from worler.com - source address 212.124.113.160,80 - what is this?
kman
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:28 pm

kman wrote:I usually use my laptop computer (which I am typing on now) Earlier, I used my desktop because that is where I have my printer set up. My Norton security blocked unauthorized access to my computer from worler.com - source address 212.124.113.160,80 - what is this?

I looked up IP address: 212.124.113.160 and this is what I found.
General IP Information
Hostname: 212.124.113.160
ISP: MnogoByte LLC
Organization: DigitalOne AG Colocation and Dedicated Servers
Proxy: None detected
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/212.124.113.160
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

knarf wrote:

I have Explorer & XP.

I agree, I use adblock to block the widgets, and the FB, Twitter frames, now site loads slow....but it loads....

Back to top Go down

Post by kman Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks, Jane.
kman
kman
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:38 pm

kman wrote:Thanks, Jane.

No problem. Smile
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 am

Quit using Explorer. Use Firefox. I know old habits are hard to kill, but use Firefox, at least on this site. It is much faster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next