Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Cspan_live_play-1

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

IT/Tech Support

+12
steveninspokane
kshort
Kat
unemployed2long/1208
Sunrise
new_wave_princess
Phillymg
elvis44102
TR11005
JaneWI
Jen
mrgolf
16 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Empty Re: IT/Tech Support

Post by mrgolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:57 pm

booniebeast wrote:
Kat wrote:I'm not at all tech savvy, so bear with my question, please.
Why can't I get to dawu.forumotion.com using yahoo search (my home page). I have to go to google every time. Is there some thingy I must do to creat a shortcut or something? Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Kat

Use the easy way, open the home page and save it to your favorites and open it from there every time!
I just did that yesterday. I usually just link up via the topic email notifications. I know a lot of people don't like to get all the emails though
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:02 pm

OK, here is my question of the day.

I opened a gmail account and I am unable to pick up my email. On my roadrunner account I just click on it in my mail section. I hope I am able to make myself clear.

I have a MacBook

mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Did it...it works fine now!
Thank You!
I love you

Kat
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Thought this may help some of our members

How to copy and paste

Take your mouse, and place your cursor at the beginning of the text in the box below, then click and hold the left mouse button, while pulling your mouse over the text.

This should highlight the text. Now release the left mouse button. Now, with the cursor over the highlighted text, right click the mouse for options, and select 'copy'. Now over the empty box below, right click your mouse again, and select 'paste' and you will have copied and pasted the text. :-)

Cut and paste is the same as above, except you choose 'cut', instead of 'copy'.
Shortcuts

Shortcuts
To Highlight: Press 'Ctrl' + 'A'.
To Copy: Highlight an area, as shown above, then hold 'Ctrl' + 'C' (For Mac users 'Apple' + 'C').
To Paste: Click your mouse where you want the text pasted, and then press 'Ctrl' + 'V' (For Mac users 'Apple' + 'S'.

The ability to cut, copy, and paste is found in most programs. Sometimes, the ability to do these tasks via the mouse is disabled, but is still quickly achieved through the use of the shortcuts outlined above.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm

One of the great things about owning a MAC is the support you get. I just made an appointment at the MAC Genius Bar for tomorrow at 1 pm. It is FREE

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Picture_1
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:23 pm

mrgolf wrote:OK, here is my question of the day.

I opened a gmail account and I am unable to pick up my email. On my roadrunner account I just click on it in my mail section. I hope I am able to make myself clear.

I have a MacBook

Can't you just go to the gmail login screen on your browser? That's how I get my gmail.

Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=llya694le36z&scc=1<mpl=default<mplcache=2
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 pm

JaneWI wrote:

I have a MacBook

Can't you just go to the gmail login screen on your browser? That's how I get my gmail.

Here's the link:

[url=https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=llya694le36z&scc=1mpl=defaultmplcache=2
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=llya694le36z&scc=1
Dont make it easy! I have a gmail account s a backup to Yahoo if I need it Always good to have a backup!

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:44 pm

To place a shortcut on the desktop simply right click with mouse any webpage (cant be a part over an image or flash, just find a place where drop down menu gives choice for "Create shortcut") click on create shortcut and save to desktop.

to copy and paste, simply right click and drag mouse over text (highlights as you drag mouse over it) right click hit copy,(drop down menu) then paste it wherever.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:04 pm

elvis44102 wrote:To place a shortcut on the desktop simply right click with mouse any webpage (cant be a part over an image or flash, just find a place where drop down menu gives choice for "Create shortcut") click on create shortcut and save to desktop.

to copy and paste, simply right click and drag mouse over text (highlights as you drag mouse over it) right click hit copy,(drop down menu) then paste it wherever.

Good one!!! Smile Lately I've been using a free email like program that's like Outlook. I used to use the web link exclusively until I started using the program.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

JaneWI wrote:

I have a MacBook

Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?
service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=llya694le36z&scc=1<mpl=default<mplcache=2
That did the trick. Thanks. I bookmarked the link
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

mrgolf wrote:That did the trick. Thanks. I bookmarked the link

Sweet!!! I like Gmail a lot and have had an address there since an invitation was needed to get an address.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 pm

by JaneWI
""Good one!!! Lately I've been using a free email like program that's like Outlook. I used to use the web link exclusively until I started using the program.""

For email I just have a couple of free yahoo and google accounts,
Yahoo (the free version) no longer officialy suports Outlook or Outlook Express (I aways mix them two up).

Googles free version IS supported by Outlook....Yahoo used to have a third party extension that enabled support.. but thats been years.

I dont have any need for all the features that a local PC Email service offers, so plain old gmail FREE is fine.
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Been fooling around with wireless connections as of late...

I have included a link for a simple "corner reflecdtor" antenna....
I used apiece of cardboard covered with aluminum foil...
am able to pickup about 8 networks with vs 3-4 without...
3 of those networks are Open and unsecured...just logon

Seem all the software that will crack security codes to gain access to encrypted networks will run on Linux only....Boooo!!!

How ever was able to find one group of people who have found a way to port the linux software to windows..

heres an instruction page that shows how to alter the application to have it work on windows..

The trickiest part was using a non-factory supplied driver for the wifi chipset...

The other tricky part seems to be having to let the software run long enough to collect enough data to be able to decrypt it....

Since there are always at least three available networks (right now) its not nescary to decrypyt and log on to those networks at the moment.
The corner reflector should be an adequate improvement for now...

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

http://www.wirelessdefence.org/Contents/Aircrack-ng_WinMain.htm
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

If your wireless goes down how to you go to dial up. It has been years since I have had a dial up connection
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

mrgolf wrote:If your wireless goes down how to you go to dial up. It has been years since I have had a dial up connection

What do you mean, your wireless went down? If you mean the router died, then just plug your PC directly in the modem with a cat5 wire.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm

My wireless is doing fine right now, thank goodness. What I meant was what if your provider goes down? Is it possible to go to dial up in an emergency and, if so, how would you do it?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:18 pm

mrgolf wrote:My wireless is doing fine right now, thank goodness. What I meant was what if your provider goes down? Is it possible to go to dial up in an emergency and, if so, how would you do it?

You might have to turn your tele-modem on in your PC. Then plug in phone line, and a list of #s should come up. Choose one and happily work at a snails pace. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Jast got back from the Apple store and my appointment at the Genius Bar. You get 15 minutes of free help. Got all my issues taken care of plus they cleaned off my MacBook so it looks like new. She also made an adjustment so the text on my screen is super sharp.

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Genius-bar
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:12 pm

""mrgolf wrote:My wireless is doing fine right now, thank goodness. What I meant was what if your provider goes down? Is it possible to go to dial up in an emergency and, if so, how would you do it?""

I have a cable internet connection..In some parts of the country various Providors may share, lease or rent the Hardware connection from the actual owner of the hardware. There is only ONE piece of hardware.

There also exist the POTS network which is the phone network which can run a DSL line (high speed) as well as slow reg Dialup.

I posted my links on How to Extend your wireless range, for when you
can no longer afford to pay for internet connection and have to see which of your nieghbors is offering a free connection (not encrypted).

I have a corner reflector wifi range extender now and it does work.. takes about 10 min to make, two feet of alum foil, duct tape and an old cardboard box.

I have a similar HDTV antenna, made from an old bowtie type UHF antenna and tin foil, and an old shoe box.

You have to use some fairly specific measurements on the antennas as they are for certain frequency ranges. If the TV didn't already work good I would try making an excelent looking HDTV antenna posted by a canadian who has successfully used two oven racks as reflectors for his bowtie (made from beer cans) held together with the obligatory duct tape.

However if the Providor goes down and its hardware, then the nieghbors will be down as well, except that there are two differnt hardware networks 1)cable, 2)telephone...

If there are ethical problems with using the nieghboors internet connection, I myself I would offer a few dollars to the nieghbor, and as I have stated before there exists many networks (unless you live way out in the country)
that one nieghbor should be understanding...

Now the Question how to get dialup...

1) first you need a RJ-11 type phone jack plug on your PC as well as the 56k phone modem...My laptop has none...none of the PC's around here have one the technology is to old..

Assuming you have a 56k modem available (check old PC for an adaptor card you can remove and use)

http://www.netzero.net/

Go to Bestbuy, Kmart,Wallmart...etc and in the checkout line (of all places) they usually have a netzero installation disc around for free...(first month free 10$ monthly afterwards) I have done this years ago with the AOL discs that they'd always send out. (you have to remember to cancel your account before the free 30 days)

There are some DIY antennas that are of better quality (higher gain) that In the next few weeks I plan to experiment with (juswt curious)
I am looking at making a Helical antenna (which can then be grouped in a gang of four) which is said to be approximate in gain to about a 3-4 foot parabolic dish.

Belive it or not you can use a Chinese Wok as a parabolic reflector, but they are limited to about a foot in diameter....the Helical antenna seems to offer more potential....
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for all that great info

IT/Tech Support - Page 3 Vla_antennas_patricklofy_lo
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

mrgolf wrote:Any techies out there?
add me to the list I can help with many, Level 1, 2, 3 tech issues, Cisco Certified Tech, Windows Vista/Windows 7 OS (extensive experience) ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Mobs wrote:
add me to the list I can help with many, Level 1, 2, 3 tech issues, Cisco Certified Tech, Windows Vista/Windows 7 OS (extensive experience) ...
OK mobs, vista question! Evert day many times a day I get a pop up window, my recovery drive D is low on space and to clean it up. Trouble is there are no files to erase and looking at it, it is less than 50% full but the bar shows it is full. Bottom line, the drive really doesn't exist anymore. I use an external backup system. is that the cause? If so, how can I get the dang pop ups to quit bothering me?

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 am

booniebeast wrote:
Mobs wrote:
OK mobs, vista question! Evert day many times a day I get a pop up window, my recovery drive D is low on space and to clean it up. Trouble is there are no files to erase and looking at it, it is less than 50% full but the bar shows it is full. Bottom line, the drive really doesn't exist anymore. I use an external backup system. is that the cause? If so, how can I get the dang pop ups to quit bothering me?

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Your question made me curious. Wink

I don't know your specific hardware, but this looks to be a common problem. Below are a couple of links to check out.

Does this error show up after a backup? Many sites point to backup issues, but this may not be your issue.

This looks to be a good source as well.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00859515#N126

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12546_102-295044.html
Post 7 of 21 looks like it could be good to be able to view files that don't normally appear.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/755693-solved-low-disc-space-recovery.html

JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 am

Boonie, simple answer. Upgrade to 7. There was a good reason why many Vista OS machines were offering a free future upgrade for Win 7 when it was released.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 am

knarf wrote:Boonie, simple answer. Upgrade to 7. There was a good reason why many Vista OS machines were offering a free future upgrade for Win 7 when it was released.

Vista isn't the best OS. According to what I can see from most of the posts, his issue could be happening after a backup and he's not seeing all of the files on his recovery drive. I posted how to view these files, but am still looking, mostly for my own curiosity.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next